Guests MAY actually be reading your instructions, but don't always take them seriously

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

Guests MAY actually be reading your instructions, but don't always take them seriously

My most recent guests learned this the hard way!

I live on a very busy street in a downtown area and although there is plenty parking in front of my house, my check-in instructions explicitly tell guests I recommend NOT parking in front of the house, and suggest they instead park on the side street (my house is the second from the corner, easy stuff). I do this because I don't want guests to lose a side mirror, or, at worse, get sideswiped. Most guests unload, and then move their car to the side street.

Imagine my surprise when I hear my front door open at 2am and my poor, sweet guests are yelling "Call 911!!!"

A drunk driver had lost control of her car, went airborne, and the car landed on it's side just a few feet from where my guests had parked.....in front of my house!!

Never in a million years would I have imagined my message would be needed to protect guests from THAT type of incident, but luckily, their car was spared.

She said, "Oh my gosh. I should have listened to you and moved my car, hahahaha."

I'm glad this had a happy ending (at least as far as my guests are concerned, the drunk driver on the other hand....).

We talk all the time about how guests don't read the listing or follow instructions, but maybe some guests really ARE reading your listing and instructions, they're just not taking them seriously.

16 Replies 16

@Suzanne302 I hope you snapped the picture and will post it online with your house rules 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Suzanne302,

I used to live in a house on the corner, and would park in front, but I also had a similar learning lesson.  One very rainy night after midnight, my next door neighbor was banging on my door.  He said, "Debra, someone was making a left turn, and rear ended your vehicle.  Hitting it so hard that your car was pushed into the back of mine."  The driver didn't stop, leaving behind part of the bumper, glass and other bits.  From then on I parked my vehicle on the side street.