Guests Misunderstanding what Requesting to Book Means

Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

Guests Misunderstanding what Requesting to Book Means

Just throwing this out there: I've just had 2 separate requests, where the guests are confused about what they are doing. They don't seem to understand that they will be charged once I accept the request.

First guest: After I msg'd her, and accepted the request, she came back to me to say "Someone else accepted her request first, so she wouldn't need the space". Obviously, this kicked off a whole barrage of emails about cancellations and refunds (We have a moderate policy. The request was for 2 days ahead of the request). So much back and forth...

Second guest: Made the request, but SHE doesn't want to confirm it 100% until I give her more info about the location. Request is still pending while she makes up her mind.

So, my question to you all is: Is there something different about the booking process, or the verbiage that appears during the process, leading guests to think that a request is just an inquiry and not actually a booking request? I've had plenty of requests over the last year from new members, but they all understood that if the request was accepted, the booking would be paid for. Now, within 24 hours, I get 2 different people who don't get it...Coincidence or platform change?

29 Replies 29
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Jennifer1421 This has always baffled me. It has never happened to me but I read about it alot. Why on earth would a person manually type in their credit card number when they don't wish to be charged??!! Here are the differences when you book instant book vs. request to book.

Request to book:

Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 8.32.03 AM.png

Instant book:

Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 8.13.37 AM.png

They are basically exactly the same! So it makes no sense to me why someone would whip out their credit card to ask a question.

Thanks, @Emilia42, those screen shots are incredibly helpful! (Love that you used Sarah's listing for the request shot 🙂

It's good to know that the cancellation info is right there in front of the guest's nose while they're doing it. Guest #1 argued with me that my policy didn't apply when I told her she'd need to cancel one of her bookings or be charged for 2 places.

In any case, I guess it's just coincidence that I've had 2 guests who don't seem to understand that a booking is a booking.

@Jennifer1421 

Maybe 2 different guests from the same group? Maybe it was 2 friends, each one using their own Airbnb profile to enquire 🙂 

No, it's definitely 2 different requests, 1 for last night (she's still here) and one for the end of March, @J-Renato0 

@Emilia42  maybe this is why that silly guest last week (who was “requesting” bc he didn’t meet my IB criteria) kept saying “see you Saturday” when he actually hadn’t read my listing and therefore wasn’t being approved (by me) to book. 

last minute types who can’t be bothered to read make me tremble in my boots. Maybe they would have been fine, maybe they’d have been a PITA. I don’t need the money nor do I trust ABB enough to take the chance. Lose/lose/lose for me, guest & abb

@Kelly149 Probably. It is surprising that the two booking methods are so similar. And the guest can't distinguish one from the other. Given that people don't read or follow up, I would think we would read about guests who message the hosts on their arrival day wondering why they don't have any check in information, when in fact they were declined/not confirmed two months prior. 

Kyi1
Level 6
Ottawa, Canada

recently, I booked a place and I didn’t notice anything that confuses me. It was pretty much clear and straight forward. From my experience of being a cohost, i would say some people just don’t read even if you remind them to do so. I have had a guest who thought she could choose whichever room she wanted because I listed two rooms and it’s a fair game for her

@Kyi1Maddening! Why, why, WHY don't people read??? Argh!

Kyi1
Level 6
Ottawa, Canada

recently, I booked a place and I didn’t notice anything that confuses me. It was pretty much clear and straight forward. From my experience of being a cohost, i would say some people just don’t read even if you remind them to do so. I have had a guest who thought she could choose whichever room she wanted because I listed two rooms and it’s a fair game for her

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Jennifer1421  my understanding is all reservations now have 48 hrs free cancellation. Says it everywhere on the booking page. So I think that they book and assume it's easy peasy to not do it within 48 hra

@Clara116True...and it IS kind of confusing the way it's written, but the screenshot @Emilia42 posted of the instant book (which is my listing, actually) makes it very clear what to expect if the booking is made within the 5 day period. leading up to the reservation.

Still, I wonder if there's a way for ABB to re-word their policies to make refunds/cancellations clearer to the guests.

I wonder if there's any mileage to be had in making my cancellation policy clearer in my pre-booking message (as I've been forced to do with 3rd party bookings). Bears some thought...

@Jennifer1421 I agree it is not totally clear...but recently we all had to agree with the new term of service...as hosts.  TOSt we hope to help us all so often I think are working against us too. I'm gonna look further

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I don't think it's the system, sadly it's your guests.

It says very clearly when you make a request to book that you will be liable for the cost.

The guest who double booked, could have simply withdrawn their request so your dates weren't blocked, as could the guest not sure about the location.

Suggest that next time @Jennifer1421 

@Helen3I'm sure it's the guests - doubly sure now that Emilia posted those screen shots.

Sadly, I accepted the first guest's booking and THAT was when she told me she didn't want to stay. Even if it had not gotten that far, I think that particular guest would've had challenges withdrawing the request, since she seemed completely incapable of contacting Airbnb on her own behalf. Apparently, it's very difficult to find the link that says "Contact Airbnb"...for some people.