Guests Who Don't Read Information Provided By Hosts

Deanna45
Level 2
Columbus, OH

Guests Who Don't Read Information Provided By Hosts

I have refined my online listing numerous times and have a printed user's manual in my apt. that describe and explain everything to the nth degree. Nonetheless, I have guests who make false claims in their reviews and sometimes downgrade me. For example, saying I don't offer wifi, that they had trouble finding the apt. or getting into it, that the kitchen isn't fully equipped for cooking, that the water temp can't be adjusted on the bathroom faucet. Since hosts can't see guests' reviews before posting theirs, the only way they can correct guests' factual errors is to post a response message. But what prospective guests see foremost is the guest's review. And they are likely to react to it before seeing any comeback from hosts. Has anyone else noticed that guests sometimes simply don't read the information provided to them and then complain?

35 Replies 35

@Christine615  "Dear guest,  it would be "nice" to have a vacation home in the south of France, one in Thailand, and one in Buenos Aires, with a Lamborghini in every garage, wouldn't it? "

Miguel779
Level 2
Faro District, Portugal

Well, that's totally true.

And one thing is not reading the text description, other this is what happened to me this time. I got an unfavorable review that downgraded my overall score in which the guests expressly wrote that the reason why their review is unfavorable is because they could not check in until 4pm. 

Has I explained here:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Got-penalized-in-a-review-based-on-an-objective-and-proven-...

They knew the check-in time was 4pm since before they made the reservation. It is their mistake, or they are being dishonest. This kind of reviews should be removed if the host requires its removal. 

They did not "buy" access to the apartment from earlier than 4pm and I never told them they would be able to access the apartment before that time. So why should I have to get an unfavorable review that is proven to be it just for that misunderstanding?

Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 05.10.12.png

-

I was cleaning my apartment when a guest walked in at 2pm. Checkin is at 3pm. Her response to our stunned looks was "Well I told you my plane got in at 2pm!" Another guest (older woman) couldn't figure out why I kept asking for the  names of her other family members, all arriving at different times. Our Ring doorbell caught one of them checking in at 11am. Luckily the apartment was cleaned the day before but I am just floored at the gall.

Nw we make sure keys are not available until 3pm and reiterate the check-out/check-in times in our welcome note.

Miguel779
Level 2
Faro District, Portugal

Thanks Christine!

In this case they knew in advance. They did not read the rules and check-in time when they made the reservation (their problem), but 2 months prior to their arrival, they sent me this message:

Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 18.24.38.png

And this was my reply:

Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 18.25.20.png

And they confirmed that they understood this, with this reply:

Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 18.32.39.png

How come Airbnb allows them to give me an unfavorable score for this:

Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 05.10.12.png

This is totally unacceptable. They knew in advance. I have prove. Airbnb has access to determine that my prove is genuine, they only need to check the conversation. I thought that conversations are kept within the Airbnb message system so that Airbnb can check what was said in situations like this one.

And I have to see my rates downgraded because of this?

As said, you can check my calendar to see that I blocked all the dates and I swear that if you check in 1, 2, 4, 5 months, it will keep all blocked as I'm going to rely on other rental platforms.

It's a matter of principle and I'm ethic enough to can't cope with this kind of abuse.

-

@Deanna45  as quite new hosts it's taken us both by surprise how little of the listing some people seem to read too.

A whole 2 years ago a guest could be held accountable for not honoring their signed contract, which included the rules. It's dodgy at best now, and the guest can review you any ole way they like if it does not violate TOS. It could be full of lies that Airbnb can prove because its on platform. But they will cling to the claim of authenticity.