Guests Who Don't Read Information Provided By Hosts

Deanna45
Level 2
Columbus, OH

Guests Who Don't Read Information Provided By Hosts

I have refined my online listing numerous times and have a printed user's manual in my apt. that describe and explain everything to the nth degree. Nonetheless, I have guests who make false claims in their reviews and sometimes downgrade me. For example, saying I don't offer wifi, that they had trouble finding the apt. or getting into it, that the kitchen isn't fully equipped for cooking, that the water temp can't be adjusted on the bathroom faucet. Since hosts can't see guests' reviews before posting theirs, the only way they can correct guests' factual errors is to post a response message. But what prospective guests see foremost is the guest's review. And they are likely to react to it before seeing any comeback from hosts. Has anyone else noticed that guests sometimes simply don't read the information provided to them and then complain?

35 Replies 35
Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Hi @Deanna45 Yes, this is a very common complaint for hosts. I think what's happening is that many guests are only using the app. to book & not expanding any of the categories, so they actually aren't even seeing most of your information. We recently had a guest who I know for sure was in this category as she asked for directions when on her way to our place last minute ... it's clearly stated in her itinerary, which she obviously never looked at, or found, or opened, she didn't know the code to open the key safe (also in her itinerary) and then was completely oblivious to our House Rules once she arrived. Using the phone app. was found to be the culprit.

The way around this, I've found, is when I initially respond to their request, I reiterate some of the information just to be sure they're aware. You need to say something like "just want to make sure before I accept your request that you're aware we don't have wifi, that the kitchen isn't fully equipped for cooking, that the water temp can't be adjusted on the bathroom faucet etc". Also it's a good idea to ask them to make sure they've read your House Rules as "once a booking is made it implies agreement to & adherence to my House Rules" (or something along that line).

To address the problem with finding your place issue, about a week before they're due to arrive, send them a message giving complete directions through Airbnb messaging - even though this information will be in their itinerary, repeat it just in case - and again ask them to make sure they've read your House Rules "as some may have changed since you made your booking".  Not that they have read your House Rules, but it's again just trying to nudge them in that direction.

Yes, it is a lot like herding cats in some cases!! 🙂  I hope that helps - Karen

@Deanna45 Sorry I should have looked at your listing before I posted! - it seems you DO have wifi, a fully functional kitchen and adjustable water temperature taps! Just some clueless guests who thought otherwise.  I guess you also have to put your wifi name & password in the message with all the other information just to cover those bases too. Sigh.

You have a House Manual - that was my other suggestion. People just don't read, honestly, it's so frustrating.

Your reviews are great and it doesn't look like your ratings have taken any hits at all. Your place is awesome! Karen

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

More and more guests do not read even the profile of their prospective host carefully, @Deanna45. You must get used to it, make sure to send them a message via airbnb asking if they have made themselves familiar with your rules, but still they will be able to leave poorer reviews. One piece of advice - if you notice that a guest hasn't read the rules, beware and do include it in your review for them - those are often the ones who complain, the surprised type claiming that it wasn't in the rules.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Deanna45

the problem is new ABB layout where Description and house rules have to be manually expanded. 90% of guests don't expand it and have no clue what is written there.

Even when I tell them to read house rules they say they did... yes, but just the top, generic part , nothing else. I know bc at the end of my house rules I have a code and nobody mention it.

To make them read it is very frustrating and time consuming for hosts 😞

Robin129
Level 10
Belle, WV

I cranked my cancellation policy to strict and have noticed a significant reduction in guests who aren't reading. Maybe it is coincidence. I am also testing the Instant Book during the low season. With Instant Book you can have guests acknowledge they read the rules.

I set my reservation requirments to one day's notice, I include the following in my guest trip information requirement:

Hello! I look forward to hosting you! Be sure to read the entire listing. We live in the house. You are renting an upstairs room. I love to cook so who knows what may be offered for breakfast.
  • What brings you to the area?
  • Who are you coming with?
  • When do you think you’ll arrive?
  • Did you notice the check-in window? We are firm at 2-6 PM.

You'll never stop them all, but you may weed out some of them.

---> That's how I look at most guests, like cousins. And you know, some of those cousins are kooks.

@Robin129 I agree..my welcome message says very similar.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I think that much of this discussion thread is very valid and guests don't read everything hosts write.  On the other hand, I have seen hosts that have pages of "rules" in their listing and I can only imagine what they leave for the guest to page through in the house.  Personally as a guest I am not going to remember what I read in the listing. 

I spent a week in Hawaii in a lovely home that had a large binder of rules and information.  I could not digest, let alone, remember ALL the rules and I had to constantly reference the binder.  The host, who lived elsewhere, never reached out to me to see how the stay was going.  The host was responsive to messages about electrical problems, indirectly, in that a fellow showed up to fix the problem.  My point is I had a great time at this home and gave a positive review, however, the host was not proactively involved.

I wonder if as hosts we are quick to blame guests for whatever goes wrong.  While more than often the guests are responsible for problems, we need to be checking in with our guests early in the stay and we cannot depend on the written word.  Obviously this is more a challenge for remote hosts but when you are in the hospitality industry, you have to hospitable.

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Linda108 I agreed on part when sometime there is far too many rules to remember

but what i remember also at the beginning of hosting many hosts did barely have rules but more the time go by more we discover things who happened to others host and by precaution everyone had extensive house rules to minimise future issue

And for keeping touch with guests not every guests is interested in keeping in touch with host

I have a business guests booked for 3 weeks, 2 days after his arrival sent him a message he never got back to me a 10 days later sent another message to offer free cleaning no answer still. 

For me hosting is changing fast and many guests are in any cases intersted to host they just want to rent ur flat or house for good price or becasue of the location/convenience

I have feeling more mature gusts are looking for that special connection and younger or middle  dont even want to meet host

I used to offer 2 options for check in  1/ with key collection point and 2/meeting myself or a friend 

guests what 99% of the cases will choose keys pick up option after a while i simply stopped asking and offer mainly key collection.

since then i became Superhost and focus on primary 1 thing Cleaning/Linen/equipment and keep in touch the whole time online with guests

@Linda108 while I agree with much of your comments.  I do not think One thing..you said "Personally as a guest I am not going to remember what I read in the listing" is a responsible guest.  I would just hope that but you wouldnt complain or give a negative review if their is something you are not happy with it is clearly stated in the listing..."that you say you can't remember."  That is not the hosts responsibilty or fault.  I think the majority of hosts try to be as complete and accurate as possible.

@Deanna45

I start with an assumption that potential guests do not read my listing description in detail. I usually repeat the more important rules thru messages when I first get an inquiry or booking to make sure they are aware of certain facts. Then I start to think about a family member or friend who is careless, accident-prone, clumsy, forgetful, has no sense of direction, is never on time, and gets side-tracked easily. This gives me a pretty good idea of what type of directions and information about my home and the appliances I need to prepare for guests. I have a really simple basic version of rules and things to note posted on the wall (the bare minimum guests need to know and respect) and a really detailed version of rules and instructions in a separate house manual. 

HA! 

I love that!

@Jessica-and-Henry0 wrote:

@Deanna45

I start with an assumption that potential guests do not read my listing description in detail. I usually repeat the more important rules thru messages when I first get an inquiry or booking to make sure they are aware of certain facts. Then I start to think about a family member or friend who is careless, accident-prone, clumsy, forgetful, has no sense of direction, is never on time, and gets side-tracked easily.

@Jessica-and-Henry0 That's a very humorous way to look at it--and quite accurate!

We do a very similar thing as you: we have a list of our 10 main rules on the wall, written briefly and in simple English, and we have a detailed house manual in five languages with more rules (but not too many, as we don't want to overwhelm them), plus details on how to use the appliances, how to get around, where to find restaurants and attractions, and so on.

We took the time to make a proper table of contents at the beginning of our house manual so that guests would know where to find everything quickly. We also communicate with them before and during their visit about things that they either will need to know or have asked about (e.g. "Yes, we have a barbecue. It's a brand new gas-powered one, and details of how to use it can be found in our house manual on page 14...").

Although we have only been hosting for a short time, this system has worked so far. Like you, @Deanna45 , we know that they won't read everything, especially if they are doing everything on their phones...as so many people are these days. So, we have taken the time to make it as easy as possible for them. Even the ones who don't pay much attention should be able to manage (or at least, we hope so).

Good luck!

Victoria483
Level 2
Leura, Australia

Oh yes, Deanna! I had one guest complain I'd stated we have a full kitchen but it was missing a crock pot so my listing wasn't correct! Would have been good for him to check before assuming his cordon bleu needs were going to be met. And yes, I cook, am 40 years old, and the kitchen is fully stocked. He forgot to mention he'd ruined my Dyson by vacuuming up mud after their outdoor sporting event... no doubt he also forgot to abide by the 'please take shoes off at the front door' rule. Them's the breaks 😞

Today I had a guest via IB who must have read absolutely nothing at all. They regressed further on arrival by being unable to use the keypad, park on a neighbourhood street, or flush. I thought at first it was a language barrier.