Guests always wanting to communicate outside the airbnb platform.....

Gina12
Level 2
Brook Park, OH

Guests always wanting to communicate outside the airbnb platform.....

I am new to this.  Why would a guest want to communicate outside the platform, and what if they would like to come see the space before they book?  Just trying to protect myself from potential problems.  Thank you!

24 Replies 24
Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

Hey @Gina12  The guests are trying to get you to do the booking privately, so they don't have to pay the 6%-12% service fee.  

Don't agree to "site visits".  I have allowed someone to come and check out a place once in six years of hosting on Airbnb.  I have good picures, an accurate description and a lot of reviews.  Take it or leave it!

Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

Exactly what @Maria-Lurdes0 said. Anyone wanting to communicate outside of AirBnB's system is someone working an angle. You don't want to mess with them and you don't really want or need their business. It will inevitably cost you more than you might gain. That kind of guest always leads to more and more problematic requests. For which, once you've drifted outside AirBnB, you have no recourse.

If you find this helpful, consider clicking the Thumbs Up button near the lower right. Thanks!

Dede:  I have a situation where I am listed on multiple sites.  I pay a yearly fee for two.  I have been advertising this way for over 22 years now.  But since Airbnb has come along it is difficult to get the steady action to our location without the multiple listings as people "shop around".  I find that with the first site which I have been with since 1994, I attract the best guests and most of them coming from Canada and the US.  I have now discovered that Airbnb is the front runner for attracting attention...not necessariy the bookings yet.  So I have lately had inquiries from one family that come through on three sites.  It is difficult not to make a choice as to which site I choose to deal with this particular booking.  I prefer direct phone conversation without going through the online rules and regulations that come with this site.  A simple phone call eliminates text/email messaging that sometimes can confuse people, especially those from different cultural background.  Over the years we have discovered that the description of "Inn" comes in many different forms; as is the case for Bed and Breakfast.  People assume it is alright to sneak in extra people, or pets because it was overlooked "creatively" by online messaging.  

For many years there were only three BnB's in our small community.  Now Airbnb has made it possible for literally anyone to open their doors for "business".  There are now 167 homes offering accommodations in this neighbourhood and probably because it has become a "pay as you go" service.  Either way, if I pay for the site or not, I will respond to every request and if that phone call comes in direct with one of the paid sites, I will take the booking.  

What is your comment to this?

@Judy29, your situation and experience are different from most of us here, so I really don't feel qualified to comment very much. If I were you, and if AirBnB hasn't rendered the other two services you use too ineffective, I would only use AirBnB to "fill in the gaps". Juggling the calendars can be tricky, though, even if all three claim to sync.

Dede. For over 22 years I have been finding ways to advertise for BnB. I have discovered that people really do want to see first hand physically or by reviews. The "boomers" have been surfing the net for accommodations for decades. They will negotiate... And after all if you don't ask you don't get. Also there are repeat guest, such as I have. One day you might find out that they will find another accommodation that will offer without going through Airbnb. If you have gone to the exercise of registering your business and report earnings, pay taxes, then you accept your guests however it works for you business. If Airbnb is your only advertising tool than you are obligated.
Marcus0
Level 10
Berlin, DE

Many new Airbnb user (like yourself) are targeted in this manner.  These groups/gangs must have an alert system running off Airbnb.

Don´t waste your time showing people your place UNLESS it is longer term (at least 6 months).  On the rare time i have done this in the past (over 6 yrs) not one has booked.  Tyre kickers, dreamers or scammers.

totally agree with everything that has been said - if it is a longer term booking then invite them to book for a night or two at the full rate and if they want to go ahead with the longer term then that can be factored in so their initial payment at a higher rate goes towards the longer stay

PS I'm not sure about the 'gang' thing.

I must confess that I have in the past messaged hosts and asked them to call me when I have been on the streets late at night with nothing booked and about to get kicked out of the restaurant that had wifi!

Fortunately I'm a bit better organised these days 😉

Very good advice!

Willa

Good comments all. Though I am new and live in Barbados, where "drop-ih" scenarios are unlikely to occur; keeping people on platfrom is excellent advice. A demonstrated commitment to Airbnb is a form of protection and sign of being serious about what you are doing. I have hosted family, friends, colleagues and clients for many years. Airbnb has helped me to position the inevitable costs of the visits in a manner that respectfully sets the terms of my welcoming nature.

There are services that are not covered in the Airbnb amenities that incur additional charges. For example, I offer to pick up guests from the airport and return them for departure. This would not be applicabl to all hosts but, based on reviews, it adds great value to our guests' experience. This additional charge is documented in our booking messages.

I am also offering a unique Caribbean, on-island Coaching and Mentoring service. My guest room facilitates coaching in a relaxed, residential setting. Clearly my fee arrangements for specially tailored packages would be outside Airbnb but confirmed on the platform.

It would be helpful to know how you and Airbnb have and can enhance these experiences.

God bless.

Dennis

I've had people wanting to see the place before reserving too. Don't do it. My impression is they want to use AirBnB but avoid the fees. My listing has enough pictures, information and reviews for a guest to make a dicision site unseen. As for longer term requests, like a university semester or year stay, I suggest reserving for one month on AirBnB. If we get along and their situation actually checks out as they stated then I might allow them to go off AirBnB. AirBnB is intended to be short-term stay service anyway and we all save a little on the fees. AirBnB tends to attract more foreign travellers instead of local renters, which I prefer. that are coming to study, work or transfer.

Leslie7
Level 10
Port Angeles, WA

When I have guests arrive I always give them my cell number because communicating through the platform doesn't always seem to work. Often there is a lag in the time from when a message is sent to when it comes through, and if there's a problem then I want them to reach me immediately. Also, I notice that guest don't respond to messages through the platform quite often, I think because they probably don't have notifications set and have to actually open the app or site to communicate.

Anytime a guest communicates to me I ask for a cell phone number so that I can send pictures of the house/guest house, street, lock box location, etc. It seems these days, no one answers a phone and everything and all business is conducted through texting. Maybe with only a dozen reviews I'm a newbee, but I've encountered all your problems; some I turn down from the onset, others seem to work out very well with added communications by phone. I encourage guests to use whatever method is best for them, but at the same time I do ask lots of questions.  We do get the occasional guest who wants to rent outside of Airbnb because mostly they will be in the area many times over the next few months and want to avoid the fees. Let's face it, a 5 night stay costs them an additional $50-70 or so, so I can understand their position, but this has never come up in conversation until after  they've stayed with us before. 

Joe:  This is a tough subject.  I have multiple sites for my BnB business.  I have had the best success with the paid sites, however the "pay as you go" are taking over...hence why I have joined in.  There are were only two BnB's in my small community until Airbnb came along...now there are 167.

If someone contacts me through this site, then I deal with them 100% .  However if this same person has found me through my own site or other paid sites, then I deal with them through which ever they contact me through and direct response takes the booking every time. 

Bottom line...be faithful to Airbnb if this is the only site you are working with and stay true to that.