How do I prevent Guests from doing illegal drugs?

Answered!
Tony295
Level 2
Morrow, GA

How do I prevent Guests from doing illegal drugs?

I have in my hosting policy "No smoking and no marijuana" . I also am sure to advice "Please read my hosting information thoroughly and carefully" in my initiatal response. Guests have come and said they read my hosting policy on smoking and asked if they could smoke outside. I have in the past given approval. What some have done is to go stand in the front yard and on the driveway and instead of tobacco, start smoking marijuana. I am very nervous about this as one of my next door neighbours is a security officer and I have never smelt marijuana being smoked in this neighbourhood. I fear a guest smoking marijuana could get me and my house in trouble.

One group smoked marijuana inside the house when I was not there. Because of the risk of getting in trouble and mindful of the need to have the house smelling fresh for successive guests, I have stopped giving  permission to smoke on the property and my last booking cancelled. The booking before that arrived from the airport in a vehicle with the strongest scent of marijuana which t hey also brought into the house. I stated the house policy on smoking and marijuana. They left their luggage in the rooms to go tour the city,  and booked a new location while parked in the driveway, then cancelled requesting a refund, then came and collected their property. (I texted then to return for property they left after about 5 minutes. By the time they returned shortly after it was clear they were smoking marijuana in the vehicle - however that was not my business !!)

My question is WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO DO TO PROTECT MYSELF AND MY PROPERTY FROM POSSIBLE TROUBLE ?

1 Best Answer
Robert929
Level 2
Yonkers, NY

My experience in downtown Yonkers.   The drug culture here is PERVASIVE and it’s still not legalized.

I have a no smoking policy, this includes ANYTHING that burns, tobacco, marijuana, crack, incense.   Even though people confirm reading the house rules, occasionally a bad guest will burn marijuana.  EVERY time this happens they also burned the couch, kitchen table, dresser, bookcase, kitchen floor, as well as do stupid stuff like pee into the house plant, clog toilet with a roll of toilet paper, leave the front door wide open for hours at a time. Leave behind bags of marijuana and hash. And leave the place in a total shambles.  It’s disheartening to work so hard to create a space that guests can enjoy and have it occasionally DESTROYED by the same people who share the love of 420.

So I have made the conclusion that SMOKING marijuana almost always costs me over $1000 in cleaning, and damages. 

HERE ARE THE WAYS I PREVENT DRUG PARTIES 

Stop using insabook,

be very cautious about who I rent to  for only ONE night,

be very cautious when people from the local community rent the place,

be very cautious with people who can hardly write a proper sentence during our messaging.

No past reviews make me VERY NERVOUS.

also

I suspect that there is an underground social media thread within the drug using community.   Especially after a recent attempt to book by one particular thug (Who I refused to host) then I started to notice that that same booking date was requested by 2 other people.  They had similar difficulty creating a grammatically correct sentence, and were unable to articulate a legitimate reason to rent the space.

Needless to say, I’d rather leave the place vacant than risk the destruction.

I know that the local organizers of the drug parties are out there, just waiting for me to let my guard down, so...

My next plan is to greet ‘suspect”  guests with a Belgian Malinois K9, and casualty introduce them to him as my “partner”. Let them make their own conclusions 

View Best Answer in original post

25 Replies 25

@Vinay7. I note your comments and will be investigating them. Thanks very much. I would welcome idea of the suggested change that you recommend. What price increase do you suggest?  I have 4 rooms that guests can occupy, not only one.

Tony

What I find really interesting in this thread is no mention of contacting law enforcement. I live in an area where it is not legal. Breaking the law is different from, breaking a house rule and being an annoying guest.

I did, law enforcement issued a search warrant and conducted a search.  I have been told, because it is rented till the end of the month, that if they come back I have to let them in, if they want to sleep there I have to let them stay.  Only way to evict them is to start an eviction process and it takes 10 days approximately to complete.  

Did the police find anything? 

I have noticed in the past a cocaine spoon (not sure what it's called) that one guest left behind, and also from another guest, a bong and cocaine spoon, when I replaced towels. I have a non smoking policy  and no illegal drugs as well but they smoked inside my place anyway. My place also smelled like marijuana and they sprayed a lot of cologne to mask the smell when they left. Also, bong ash water stained my good  white sheets and the stain didn't come out, not even with soaking in bleach water. But to call the police could put myself and my property in danger. Any advice? 

Liz140
Level 4
Danville, IN

Police intervention

Robert929
Level 2
Yonkers, NY

My experience in downtown Yonkers.   The drug culture here is PERVASIVE and it’s still not legalized.

I have a no smoking policy, this includes ANYTHING that burns, tobacco, marijuana, crack, incense.   Even though people confirm reading the house rules, occasionally a bad guest will burn marijuana.  EVERY time this happens they also burned the couch, kitchen table, dresser, bookcase, kitchen floor, as well as do stupid stuff like pee into the house plant, clog toilet with a roll of toilet paper, leave the front door wide open for hours at a time. Leave behind bags of marijuana and hash. And leave the place in a total shambles.  It’s disheartening to work so hard to create a space that guests can enjoy and have it occasionally DESTROYED by the same people who share the love of 420.

So I have made the conclusion that SMOKING marijuana almost always costs me over $1000 in cleaning, and damages. 

HERE ARE THE WAYS I PREVENT DRUG PARTIES 

Stop using insabook,

be very cautious about who I rent to  for only ONE night,

be very cautious when people from the local community rent the place,

be very cautious with people who can hardly write a proper sentence during our messaging.

No past reviews make me VERY NERVOUS.

also

I suspect that there is an underground social media thread within the drug using community.   Especially after a recent attempt to book by one particular thug (Who I refused to host) then I started to notice that that same booking date was requested by 2 other people.  They had similar difficulty creating a grammatically correct sentence, and were unable to articulate a legitimate reason to rent the space.

Needless to say, I’d rather leave the place vacant than risk the destruction.

I know that the local organizers of the drug parties are out there, just waiting for me to let my guard down, so...

My next plan is to greet ‘suspect”  guests with a Belgian Malinois K9, and casualty introduce them to him as my “partner”. Let them make their own conclusions 

Have issue right now.  Is it possible to put in House Rules that are posted any illegal activities and they agree/accept that they will be required to leave immediately?  I don't know if it would be legal and binding?  Mine broke house rules, caused property damage, left the property unsecured for days, had drugs(law enforcement conducted a search), and I am told by law enforcement that if they return I have to let them in and if they want to stay I have to let them stay!!  No one from Airbnb will return any form of communication.

Albert281
Level 1
Lexington, KY

I don’t know what to do either. I have had 3 guests that have used my house to use, deal, and manufacture drugs. This past week 3 people where arrested for possession of crystal meth. Airbnb’s safety and trust team doesn’t directly contact the police and gives me a website link to give to the cops. Ridiculous that they won’t even get involved and proactively pick up the telephone and make a simple outbound phone call to speak with local as enforcement to get these people off the streets. Instead they hide in the shadows and won’t get involved. Law breakers are getting away with everything and they aren’t doing anything to combat the opioid epidemic. The police left the booking guest at the premises even though they violated the Airbnb terms of service. Where is Airbnb safety and trust team when I need help evicting the host? I had to fear for my own safety to go evict them myself. Appalling 

I have the same issue right now.  House is still rented until the end of the month, law enforcement tells me I have to let them in AND stay if they return.  Can't get help from any area of Airbnb.

Sherri14
Level 2
Byron, WY

Have the same issue, had law enforcement do a search warrant.  I can get help desk to respond to me.  This I fear will be a continued problem.