Guests are not reading descriptions and complaining about futon

Ami8
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Guests are not reading descriptions and complaining about futon

So, my place in Japan has Japanese FUTON which is completely different from ikea Futon or American Futon. I posted a picture, put that in my description but guests are keep complaing and also Airbnb does not have an option to put Japanese Futon so instead i put the floor mattress but I know Japanese futon is pretty different from floor mattress. What can I do? I'm getting complain and my reviews went down to 4 star because guests simply do not read the description then complain after

13 Replies 13
Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

It depends on your market. If you have many people visiting outside of Japan staying there it may be best to use common mattress terminology. Your picture 17 out of 44 shows 3 sleeping options- A "Single Bed, a Air Mattress and a Japanese Futon"- but there are NO sizes mentioned. All of the options look to be Twin size and not suited for more than one person each. Im not sure how you could fit 4 people into such a small space and that may be the issue many of your reviewers are referencing. Also, unless a Japenese Futon has some special feature call it what it is to avoid confusion- it's a mattress/sleeping bag on the floor.

In regards to your 4 stars- Value and Cleanliness seem to be the biggest issues. You can either add a few touches of hospitality and warmth to justify the price or lower the price to increase value. The space needs a painting on the wall, a vase of flowers, a bowl of fruit, a jar of Japanese candy, upgraded linens, or a welcome bag. It doesn't have to be a huge expense, but a homey atmosphere and something that the guest can take with them tends to increase perceived value. If you can't offer those options consider lowering your price as hosts in your area are offering those frills for the same price as you. Keeping such a small space clean should be quite easy. Get a new cleaning person because the person you have is making you look bad.

Best of luck.

Well... i clearly noted that max of 4people will be 2adults and 2 toddlers. Because i get asked a lot if it's okay to be there with 4ppl including their chils,  i just maximized to 4ppl and noted that is not for 4adults at all... also a family of 5has stayed there and they were fine... and i stayed there with my friends and it was fine... so i think it depends on person's size because everyone complaining about size is a caucasian guys...and Japanese Futon has one size and only one size... also it is not a sleeping bag, and i mentioned it as it is a rolled up mattress.... but clearly a lot of people are not reading it as few people asked where the futon is... 

Also- it looks clean everytime i go check, but it is in the middle of the city and if you open the window for a day.... it gets dusty. And a lot of people has stolen amenities including hair dryers... and shampoos so i stopped leaving anything extra for guests. Is that common that guests taking all the shampoos and amenities!? 

If guests are routinely complaining that your futon is not what they were expecting, perhaps the best thing to do is to just figure out what kind of solution the guests want and replace the futon. My AirBnB currently has two double beds and four wooden folding chairs. After it is remodeled it is going to have one queen-size bed and one full or queen size sofa-bed. I am not saying that is what YOUR guests want, but I think/hope it is what mine want. so they have a comfortable place to sit and if there are four people they also have a somewhat comfortable place to sleep

I guess I have been lucky I have not had anything like a hair dryer taken. I *might* have lost a pillowcase and towel but I am not sure because I noticed them missing when I was returning the clean ones to the AirBnB property. 

Personally, I think the answer is risk management. If you have to replace a hair dryer, I'd buy the cheapest one you could find or even a used one. like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Conair-1875-Watt-Dryer-White/dp/B001LQY1X4/ I replaced the clock radio in my AirBnB (the radio did not work when I acquired the property) and I bought a 'used' one from Amazon. It was a discontinued Best Buy private label model and still had the cellophane on the face so it was sold as used so it was non-returnable but it had never been powered on. 

As a trivial aside someone who apparently does not know that correlation does NOT equal causation, hypotheses that you can earn $10 more per night by proving a hair dryer 🙂 https://qz.com/810309/you-can-earn-10-more-per-night-on-airbnb-just-by-having-a-hair-dryer/

As far as consumables like shampoo and toilet paper, I just buy travel size containers from Walmart, they are a $1 each and toilet paper in bulk. I specify in my listing that guests get one travel-size container of each and one roll of each paper product. If there is a partial roll in the rental, I add one roll, so every guest has at lease one full roll. I also state that there is a convenience store on site and that I will not replenish consumables during the guest's stay.  I must be doing something right since I have an overall 4.7 rating. The reason it is not higher is the unit is due for renovation, something that is going to happen later this year.

Where do you put the extra travel sized shampoo etc though? Do you ask cleaner to bring it every time? It is great idea to let guests know what they get..! I'll do that! Maybe some ppl just don't understand they can't take things. 

Yeah, I bring one bottle of each item for each change-over. Each non-edible consumable item (Shampoo, conditioner, hand soap, dish soap paper towels and toilet paper) are about a $1 each and each edible item (fruit flavor drink and candy) are about $3 each it is more than covered in my $100 cleaning fee, so I can profitably replace each item at change-over.

$100.00 cleaning fee?

are you suggesting i should?

John498
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

One toilet roll each?? Errm do you shake their hand when they are leaving? Just sayin 🙂 More seriously I would be mortified if guests ran out of toilet paper and I try to buy the best brand avaialable when it is on offer so for me it is non-negotiable. They can have as much as they need.

Incidentally I have been eyeing up a place in South Korea and they don;t allow you to put toilet paper down the toilet so that might be an interesting experience when I travel myself,

I usually put one out then leave whatever inside the shelf...

Hmm i've been to

korea many times but they didn't have that instruction, but in China they asked to put used toilet oaper into trash can... it was... new to me.

John498
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Well ok as long as there are no curry nights near you it would work. You can add Greeks to the above. at their airport anyway. It is all to do with their santisation system obviously.

Back on topic, Emi I detect in your ( mostly excellent) replies to guest criticism in their reviews a kind to defensiveness and frustration with it all. It is never easy to hear criticism but the way it is responded to is more important. I never judge anyone by how many times they fall off a horse but rather how many times they get back on.

John498
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Ami*

Ali24
Level 2
Romsey, GB

I have also, this past weekend had an issue with a guest who did not read the description properly, and also made dishonest comments: and who marked me down as she said that my description of my house was inaccurate....my house is very old which is stated in the description.  She also said that she and her daughter were cold and suggested I provide blankets in the room, there were blankets on both beds in the room, plus a wall heater and an electric heater, she asked for hot water bottles also. The duvets on the beds are 14 tog, plus the room is naturally very warm.  She also said that my kitchen was dirty, which was such an insult as it is spotless, with the exception on the Sunday as she and her daughter didn't want breakfast between the listed time (8-10am) as they wanted to sleep in and asked if I would lay out the breakfast for them so they could get up and eat at their leisure.  As I had other guests for whom I cooked breakfast, I left their dishes in my sink. I cleaned and swept and mopped the floor and kitchen and went out.  Despite being provided with bath sheets and hand towels, they went into my personal supply of towels and used those.  Our entrance is through the garden and back door, and it had been raining on the Saturday and as with all guests and visitors I ask people to remove their shoes. The daughter (late teens) refused, and walked dirt and mud through my house over the two days. She then complained in her feedback that the floor of their bedroom was dirty. She also complained that the stairs were narrow. Despite this she said everything was great, and that they would be back.  I feel her comments were unfounded and very dishonest.  She could not eat wheat or dairy and I provided them with an adequate breakfast in line with her dietary requirements, also ensuring that her daughter got what she preferred.  She also said her daughter didn't like cats - listing clearly states we have 2 cats so I locked them out during breakfast times to keep them happy.  I feel really hurt and disappointed that she marked me down for unfounded reasons and posted untruths.  I've tried to get hold of Airbnb.  When I was doing her review, it asks would you invite them back and I almost clicked on 'no' but thought that would be a bit harsh, but wish I had now.  Any advice would be helpful.