Guests asked to leave luggage. They are in the room with the door locked...!

Ben253
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Guests asked to leave luggage. They are in the room with the door locked...!

I have some guests currently staying, fairly nice couple if not a bit odd. They are checking out today, and asked yesterday if they could leave luggage to which I said yes, sure, as they had stated they were going out and would come back just to pick up the bags. They have returned to the house after checkout (stupidly I did not get the keys from them) and have gone back into the now stripped and cleaned room, and locked the door. I don't want to knock on the door and seem aggressive by asking them to leave, but checkout was ages ago and I feel they are now encroaching on my good nature. The house has been cleaned and turned over and eveything replaced so I was somewhat surprised to find that now they are back in using the facilities? I need to go into town to stock up on things that have been used and am concerned I may come back to find they have cooked, or made mess of the now pristine house! 

I like to think of myself as a nice person, and am usually super flexible but now I am sitting around waiting for them to go so I can have my house back (today and tomorrow are my 'off days')  My family and friends will be here in a few hours for dinner and my friend will need the room to put her baby to bed during dinner time... I don't really want them here when people start showing up later! 

There are no pillows, no sheets on the bed, nada in there... not sure what they are doing. I deliberately do not have any entertainment in the room (TV etc.) to encourage guests to be out during the day.

I  think I am going to just have to start saying no to leaving luggage, even though I would prefer not to take that approach.

5 Replies 5
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Once I was in a similar situation, @Ben253. I requested money for longer stay, the guest declined, I escalated and Airbnb refunded me. Of course there was a record of all the agreement with the guest in my messages.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Kat17
Level 10
Boston, MA

@Ben253 Hopefully by the time you see this they will have been long gone. You have every right as a host to knock on the door and ask them to leave. You said the checkout was ages ago. That means their right to the room has ended. You could ask them to pay for another night as  @Marzena4 suggested,  but since you have friends coming and you want them to be able to use that room, I don’t think that’s really an option for you. I would get on the phone with AIRBNB and have AIRBNB explain to them why they need to leave immediately. And if they leave you a bad review, you can have AIRBNB delete it because they will have a record of this incident and know  that the guests are being retaliatory . 

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

As said before, you should knock in such a case, and not timidly. After that, immediately write via airbnb message to have it on file. Then call airbnb. 

Then ask for money. If I understand you correctly, they came in the day after leaving? That’s one night overstsy8ng at double rate. As by the airbnb terms. 

If it’s the same day, you can still ask for money, like half a day plus urgency cleaning for the next person. 

I learned that too: keys confiscated immediately or another lock locked. Luggage pickup at the door on appointment. 

Good luck.

mention the event in the review. 

Kat64
Level 1
Fort Lauderdale, FL

I understand your frustrations.  I also had a overstay guest who was supposed to check out at 11am.  At 2pm their dog was still there.  I sent a chat through Airbnb and through the person's text message.  When they did not answer in 10 minutes, I immediately involved Airbnb.  A case manager at Airbnb called them and told them that they would be responsible for paying additional rates.  In your case you should also get an additional cleaning fee.  Airbnb's Customer Service is very good and they will get involved if you need them too.  You might wish to be friendly with a guest, but in this instance, this is a business too.  Anyone overstaying their welcome should be directly asked to leave and if they do not, Airbnb should immediately be brought into the picture.  By now, I trust they have left, so in the future, if you have people who wish to pick up luggage later, perhaps an open porch area will facilitate the request.  Please know that you do not have to provide any extra services to someone who intrudes on your space which is what this guest is doing.  Good luck and the best to you for your future experiences with Airbnb.  Regards, Kat

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I trust lesson learned. Never allow anything to be left in the room after check out, so these types of situations can happen in the first place.