Guests asking for a full refund

AJ-and-Erica0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Guests asking for a full refund

Hi there
We had a guest that stayed with us last Saturday.
Due to an emergency family visit (which we informed the guests) to another city on the same day, we had to hire someone else to clean and make the room ready. The cleaner also had unexpected issues and arrived at the same time of the guests ( they actually met in the lift).
The cleaner was very apologetic and offered drinks while they had to wait. They told that they just needed 10 mins to get ready and would go out again. So they got changed and left, and then the cleaner started.
During 3 years of hosting we never had to leave guests waiting, but this time was out of our control.
When they returned the room was ready, everything was spotless. Next morning (it was only one night stay), AJ met them in the morning and apologise again, they seemed fine and left with a smile. It was a bit awkward as they were walking around naked and even entered our private room. But oh well...

Yesterday, Wednesday, they messaged us with a feedback about their stay. They said the house was messy and smelly when they arrived, among other things which are not true. Its was also with a threatening tone - basically asking for a full refund or they will write a bad review.

We weren’t expecting a good review at all but at least a honest one would be nice. We have many honest and good reviews and superhosts status. So its ok about the review; just the sudden threats is making us uncomfortable. It seems they are overreacting for something that was immediately solved and they didn’t seem to bother and left with a smile, complementing everything. Asking for a full refund is unfair. They are also hosts and and enjoying themselves every time they remind us.

Just wondering what should I reply to theses guests? Many thanks!

7 Replies 7
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@AJ-and-Erica0

There is an extortion policy to deal with this

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/548/what-is-airbnb-s-extortion-policy

And if there is a big problem on arrival that can't be solved there is this for guests to follow...

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/544/what-is-airbnb-s-guest-refund-policy-for-homes?topic=1124

A guest should bring up a travel issue within 24 hrs from arrival really if it is serious enough an event.

If the message is left on your airbnb inbox as evidence, you can contact airbnb to discuss this threat.

This can have consequences if your guests are hosts too.

Hi Elena, thank you for sharing that link. It really helped. I’ve contacted Airbnb again and it seems they put this case to a high scale manager. 

The only unfortunate event that happened was the delayed cleaner, and it’s something beyond pur control. They came back to a clean environment and used our facilities. Asking for a refund makes no sense. This happened to me so many times even in high rated hotels. No big deal. 

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@AJ-and-Erica0 Have you considered offering them a discount? Would that help, do you think, or are they truly just looking to extort you? If it's the latter, I would definitely report them to Airbnb.

I hate to say it, but this is why hosting other hosts makes me nervous. Some hosts know the system really well, and they use it to their benefit. Not cool, and it's disappointing to say the least: you would expect more empathy from other hosts.

I did talked to AJ and we considered offering a free stay next time they are in London. However, I honestly feel they think we are stupid and naive so easy to take advantage of. They are clearly overreacting and adding a few lies. And they stayed for one night, just to sleep.  

She mentioned quite a few times she is also a host. If she knows so much, why is she doing this? I use Airbnb for almost 10 years and never seen anything like that. 

Debra15
Level 2
Connecticut, United States

Let them write their **bleep**ty review and you can publicly reply with the true story.  Don't let them bully you.

Once the world knows they walk around naked as guests, they will get fewer acceptances I'm sure.  LOL

Hahah or maybe lots of men will love to host them hahha

Airbnb is aware about this, usually they don’t help much though.

I have to basically wait for their review and if they do add lies , they will get it removed. 

AJ-and-Erica0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

For now I replied this: 

Dear Hannah,
Thank you for taking your time on writing your feedback. I’ve contacted Airbnb and they will analyse this case. I will update you as soon as I have a response.

Thanks and have a great day!

Best,
Erica.

If she wants to write a review fine, go ahead. Just dont act like a child. She probably forgot I can also write her a review.