Guests asking for mail and packages to be delivered.

Wayne-and-Chad0
Level 1
Salt Lake City, UT

Guests asking for mail and packages to be delivered.

I have had a number of reservations ask to have mail or packages delivered in advance of their arrival.  They are asking me to sign for the packages and hold them until their arrival.  I find the request strange and I do not want the liability.  Does anyone know if Airbnb has a policy on this issue?  Suggestions?

I am largely declining because of liability but would like to refer to an Airbnb policy if there is currently one.

Thank you!

10 Replies 10

Hi ,You are in your right to decline ,because if there is something illigal inside and you sign it ,than its your responsability .Nobody can make you to take somebody else packages .Its in your rights . 

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Wayne-and-Chad0,

someone sends You a package and its a bomb in there or drugs.

All of a sudden You are in the middle of an investigation.

Never ever accept packages from people You don't know.

Green-Area-Apartments0
Level 7
London, United Kingdom

I think it could be very selfish and short-sighted in the case the content of the package is declared and shipped from a trusted source. Liability is all around us.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Alain0 Not to long ago I read a story about a man renting a house for 2 weeks. He used to address to buy 10's of thousand dollars worth of items and had them all delivered to the rental. It was all purchased with stolen credit cards. He left a few days early not telling the owner he had gone. Next thing owner knew was she needed a lawyer. It tooks months and a lot of money for her to clear herself.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

a pack n mail place or an amazon locker seem like much better options for such things. Do not be bullied, you are being reasonable and they have other options

Katie88
Level 4
Asheville, NC

Never allow a guest's mail to be delivered to your home.  That's a good way for criminals to commit fraud.  Instead give them the address of the nearest post office, FedEx or UPS store.  Anyone can have a letter or package delivered and held for them there.  It can accomplish the same goal, if the guest really does have something urgent they need sent while they are traveling and there's no risk to you.

I understand how that might happen. I sometimes have to ship things ahead for a trade show. The cost for a hotel or convention center to receive packages are enormous. So now I try to ship things to arrive after I do. Or to a colleague's house. Would never occur to me to put this burden on an Airbnb host.

BUT --  this is a stranger and you have a right to be concerned. If you sign for a package that contains drugs, you could be arrested and your house confiscated - especially now that the seizure laws have been strengthened.  Don't do it. Ever.

People can ship UPS or Fedex and have the package held for pickup. Safer for you and them.

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I just had my first guest-- been doing this for nearly 10 years!-- have a package delivered without permission (it was already here when I got home,   despite some assumptions about Chicago southside,  packages are generally safe on porches!).

This has been covered again and again in many threads-- there are many problems,  and guests should certainly ask in advance!   

My primary issue is residency.  Any piece of mail or package with an address on it,  can be used as proof of residency.    I've had to have the police throw an Airbnber out exactly once,  and it took about 6 hours and escalating it to the captains.

In this case,   the guest is a three-week stay;  in most of the US,   hit 30 days and you're a tenant,  not a transient guest.  Add to a potential eviction,  the fact that we're in a city that requires landlords to be registered and permitted etc,   and the potential pain here is high.

And mail or packages to non-resident transient guests should always be delivered "in care of" the name of a business,  institution or person,  not directly-- if you're going to do this at all.

I had a similar situation. Guests from the UK wanted a package delivered. I told them I was not comfortable with it and kindly asked them to have it shipped to a local UPS Store two blocks away. They completely understood. All good! 

Wendy761
Level 2
Trenton, NC

I am glad I read all your statements and regarding mail or packages being delivered to the property.  I have someone coming in tomorrow who just messaged me that a package would be arriving possibly today.  I let him know that I would check to see if it had and let him know.  I have no intention of moving it from where ever it lands at the house until he arrives tomorrow.  Additionally, after reading everyone's experiences I will put it in my house rules that no packages can be delivered to the house.  I will let them know where the closest UPS and FedEx are located and the town post office is a one minute walk from the house. 

This guest is brand new to the Airbnb scene, so I am sure he is unaware how things work.  

Thanks again for all your great advice.