Guests booking on behalf of a friend or family member.

Jillian115
Level 10
Jamestown, CA

Guests booking on behalf of a friend or family member.

I have "instant book" on, and I know many of you will say, never use instant-book, but I find it convenient for the most part. Every once in a while, I get someone booking for someone else. This is an issue for a few reasons; directions, communication, and reviews.

When it has happened in the past, I would call Airbnb, and they would contact the person who booked to let them know that I'm not okay with it and usually help them find another booking. Recently this happened, and when I called Airbnb, CS said if I have an issue with this, I should put it in my listing description, which I'm not about to do since my word count is limited and not great marketing; however, I did make a note in my pre-booking message.

The issue here was; if the person who booked didn't cancel the booking, it would be my penalty. Luckily they withdrew, but after much angst, it turns out, Airbnb has a policy on this; reservations booked for personal travel must be booked by the person staying. https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/427/can-i-book-on-behalf-of-a-friend-or-family-member

Since customer service is atrocious these days, I want to point this out to anyone else who has this same issue.

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jillian115  Good advice. If you can find something in the TOS that will make it obvious to the guest that they are violating policy, it's much easier to just give the guest that link than have to explain to them why you can't accept the booking and look like the bad guy.

Thanks Sarah, That's good advise. I didn't think of that. If it happens again I'll send the link and if they don't cancel on their own I'll go through the hassle of dealing with Customer Service. 

Luke279
Level 6
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Jillian115 Thanks for this link to Airbnb policy on booking on behalf of others, its helped a lot!