How do I deal with Guests breaking house rules

How do I deal with Guests breaking house rules

Hi, 

I could use some information or feedback about a guest that broke house rules. My problem right now is that airbnb won't give me the deposit. We rent out our whole house on the beach. One big house rule is No weddings/parties. One quest clearly had a wedding and I have lots of pictures to prove it. By having the big party they also made the plumbing flare up and there was literally crap in the shower and toilets because too many people where using the bathrooms and clogging everything up. One reason we say no parties. It cost about $1000 to call a plumber and a septic tank guy, plus cleaning up some elses crap in a shower and having to put things back were they belong. 

Anyway, if we have house rules and they get broken why doesn't airbnb compesate for that? I mean whats the point in having house rules or a contract if it does nothing? 

Thanks

94 Replies 94

A few months ago I had a guest breaking the rules. She booked for herself but onb more than one occasion had someone spending the night wuth her, where one of my rules is that no unregistered guests are allowed in the house. When other guests complained about it, I contacted airbnb right away (which was the hardest part), explained everything and asked what to do. The guest already left because she thought I was unreasonable. Airbnb said I did the right thing, canceled the reservation for me (so that no reviews could be written) and I didn't have to refund the guest anything. In other cases where things were damaged/lost and the guest did not want to pay, airbnb solved it immediately and refunded me the money within the security deposit

So I don't know why they don't want to do it with you, but in my case I always got what I asked for as long as I gave them the necessary info and documentation.

@Monique

I think I can answer the question you posed, the simple fact is you're a very BIG earner for Airbnb, would you like to share with us how much fees your Guest have paid to Airbnb over the period of a year. I'd say you're in the top 10% of income generators. 

Haha Cormac. I swear when you mentioned 'big earners' it reminds me of Mafia movies - "Guido is a good kid, a good earner', when the bosses are deciding whether to whack him or not for some screw up he did.

Hi @Monique47, a 'wave' from Placencia.

Allison116
Level 10
Walnut Creek, CA

Also, not sure if someone already mentioned this in a post... I would suggest put your No Parties or Events Rule at the end of your first paragraph of your listing which describes the space. Yes it is in your house rules  but after all you describe about your property that becomes  the “fine” print no one reads. Then again in the house rules I would add more detail that specifies no parties, no events including no weddings, no birthday parties, no funerals... 

Andrew166
Level 2
New York, NY

Chiming in really late here after having a very similar experience. Wonder if there's a new thread for this topic? Anyway, today I showed up to my apartment on the second day of a four day reservation, to a photographer unloading 4-5 large bags of professional photo gear out of the front door. He quickly b lined for the Uber with a wry smile on his face after I asked if he was with the current guest. Upstairs were 6 people on the crew being completely loud, (obviously) disrespecting and breaking multiple rules, and who had created a pretty good mess of the apartment. Fortunately they had not gotten to settled in and after putting furniture back, and after they cleared out their gear, the place was still in good shape. On premise alone, however, I cancelled their reservation and asked them to leave, propting a rather nasty exit. Now of course, after orginally delivering above and beyond what's expected of my side (I'm always promt, polite, and deliver a sparkling apartment), I will be subject to a bad review of someone who blatantly broke multiples rules ( not minor ones either). I feel like airbnb needs to protect hosts a littel better in this regard and it leaves me rather disturbed. On the up side, I've had 1.5 years of mostly great guests (with some exceptions of course). I guess the best option is to focus in on what really deters bad guests and work on that. Any other reccos for that? Anyone have thoughts of putting a camera outside the building? Is that too intrusive? 

Best,

Andrew

Chiming in late on this but, I have them on the front entry and the back.  I let all guest know that they are there.  I think it keeps away the bad guest that have no regard for your property.  It also protects the property when no one is staying in it.  

Jason505
Level 2
Dallas, TX

What seems to be clear here is Airbnb does not defend home owners. The “security deposit” is a joke and only a soft deterrent.  The only solution we have is doing our own agreements. That’s silly to me since we are using this platform, but we don’t have a choice. Just FYI I had the same issue with my only VRBO rental and they gave me the security deposit after receiving for 2 hours. Open and closed. They defend homeowners and I think Airbnb has something to learn from them. 

I posted about my issue and I think the way ABB has handled it is terrible. I have wvodnexe, invoices and they’ve done nothing, but give me a run around. 

Ming20
Level 2
Houston, TX

I have similar situation and its making me wondering if the house rules really mean anything at all?  Guest can just call and complain and host get penalized??

My guest broke my house rules has over occupancy so I text guest to remind them the  house rules.  They call air b n b to complain say they want to check out early and get remanding days refund. I respond to BNB sure.  BNB came back said the guest changed their mind because they can not find anything cheaper so they want to stay.  And told me If I want to received the additional guest fees I have to provide, evidence, video and documents AND the guests have to agreed to pay.  So I said  because they dont follow the rules, I want them to leave as they have requested.   BNB threat me if  I cancel the reservation, not only I will get penalized as Superhost but also not getting paid at all for their stay.  BNB said according to the contract host signed we give BNB the power to make the final decision.  Does this make sense? 

No ît doesn't...I agree, and feel the same...

we are  not protected at all, 

we are not in this together and no one is protecting us, unfortunately, it's always, 

"Guest is always right..."

Airbnb get its money making on behalf our backs...

for the first time in three years I am really disappointed  and consider closing down...

and that supermarket host thingy, yea...BS!

making sure everything is extra perfect up and beyond, for what...tomorrow one rude, careless human being, can write  you bad review and lower your scoring ...

airbnb, don't care! 

Maddie30
Level 1
Houston, TX

I'm dealing with this right now. Recently listed and went with Airbnb's rec to provide the first three guests with 20% off. I had a feeling the first guests (currently there) would be an issue - they checked in with 6 people and probably have 10-12 STAYING there. I have video recordings from the front door - as they were going in and out all night. 

I'm going to call my neighbor to not just get him back on my side but to see what exactly they've done. Honestly, I'm scared. 

Is there a way to get them removed from my house?

Shan27
Level 2
Newport, United Kingdom

Is there a way to get them removed from my house?

Yes. Police.

If people enter and use your house without your permission that is an offence and the police can act on it, especially if it impacts on neighbours. The police need to know the named person/s who are entitled to be there as your clients. Say there are two then they might have a maximum of four in as their guests for a cuppa or drink, but by 10 on Sun-Thurs midnight Fri Sat the house should be quiet, and no evidence of visitors.

It looks alike this was a while  ago, bit on case it  happans  agian, remind them trough portal so it's evedent...

tell them you will  call police and ask them all to leave except registered alowable guests...

i did the same and in 2:00am my husband and I waited on the stairs, for them to  leave (over 10 extra people of scheduled  6)

didnt get Airbnb involved, but left bad review! 

Feel sorry for you ...but again...it tells me how badly we are treated and disrespected...

This don't happen  in hotels!

and for that reasons I am considering closing down...as I see now, with all of these issues , I am not alone,  and don't have rights in my hosting at all...

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Maddie30 

My first point of call would be Airbnb. Tell them you feel unsafe. Tell them that your guests have broken your house rules and you have video evidence and tell them you want them out of your house now. Far better to sort things out early than let them fester.

Amina6
Level 2
Yonkers, NY

I see now i am not alone...

sorry for what you went through, with plumbing and all...

Are you able to show cost and recipe from a plumber to clean up ?

maybe they would charge guests to cover that,

i went to similar issue with parties, didn't even bother to involve Airbnb, and forgo about everything...my whole walls were covered in sticky, sweet juice like liquidy streamy lines , it was some angry clean up for sure...

last time I contacted Airbnb and involved them, guest smoked weed whole night and left horrible skunky smell in the apartment, so badly that next guests asked about it and complained, and one room where  they smoked still reeks, two weeks after it, I  guess  because of carpet...

My apartment is on third floor of my house and it's labeled as no smoking inside with signs around...

i warned them if they smoke I will have to aks for a deposit, which I did, partly for braking rules and $50 for renting steam carpet cleaner...

no help!

they didn't even respond to my request to escalate the case to higher officials...

in last three years I am hosting and being a super host, I never felt more betrayed than now...

Its like they are giving guests green light to repeat it again, and no one is listening or caring about our loss ...

seriously thinking of quitting  it all togher, since we actually don't know what we can  expect from next guest and now for sure, reading  all this, I know we are not backed up for anything !

I think this Airbnb became money making machine on behalf of our backs and pockets!

thanks for listening...any one could relate and tell me what to do next...I don't think I want to let this go...

Much appreciated!