How do I deal with Guests breaking house rules

How do I deal with Guests breaking house rules

Hi, 

I could use some information or feedback about a guest that broke house rules. My problem right now is that airbnb won't give me the deposit. We rent out our whole house on the beach. One big house rule is No weddings/parties. One quest clearly had a wedding and I have lots of pictures to prove it. By having the big party they also made the plumbing flare up and there was literally crap in the shower and toilets because too many people where using the bathrooms and clogging everything up. One reason we say no parties. It cost about $1000 to call a plumber and a septic tank guy, plus cleaning up some elses crap in a shower and having to put things back were they belong. 

Anyway, if we have house rules and they get broken why doesn't airbnb compesate for that? I mean whats the point in having house rules or a contract if it does nothing? 

Thanks

94 Replies 94

If I am renting out my entire apt , which happens rarely and only when I am traveling abroad for a month or longer, and even when I am hosting short term guest stays, I do a walk thur upon arrive and the night before they vacate the apt.

Still, guests break/damage things that are not always obvious even with a walk thru. 

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

People do talk you know what I mean 

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Did you yourself cheack them in or someone else cheack them for you 

Jacqueline58
Level 2
Gainesville, FL

You should submit your bills to Airbnb and ask the guest to compensate you for the plumbing and other expenses you have receipts for.

We had guests break the rules and finally got fed up. My suggestion:

1. email guests with photos and then ask for compensation through the resolution center.

2. Leave a tepid review. I saw one on another site that simply said "Guests did not follow house rules."

One of our guests had friends staying with her and on the last day spilled red wine all over the bed, rug and walls. We contact airbnb but someone else had already checked in (we had to deep clean and changed out the linens. Because we could prove the damage occurred before the check-in because we'd sent pictures to the guest, Airbnb asked us to use the resolution center and if the guest didn't pay then Airbnb would get involved. Luckily the guest did pay within 24 hours for the replacement of the comforter and linens.

Steve358
Level 2
Chicago, IL

Guests smoking in your unit when you clearly have no smoking as a house rule needs to be addressed by ABB! I even state a $250 fine in my house rules. I had a guest smoke 3 large joints in 2 days. I spent 14 hours cleaning carpets, washing comforters, and all linens. You are telling me that punk is just going to get my bad rating as punishment?!?! That is unacceptable. I am a superhost, and I have spent hours online creating a reservation request, which requested money from the guest. He just told me to F off. The reservation request expired in 72 hours, then I clicked on "Involve Airbnb" to request that they fine the guest. I have had no contact from them in 5 days, and from what I read here, I will get nothing. This sucks.

Mandi6
Level 2
Boise, ID

I am a host and a Litigation Paralegal. I would write a demand letter to them requesting them to pay for the fees incurred. And inform them if they do not you will be suing them.

Cynthia129
Level 4
Raleigh, NC

This entire thread is so pertinent to me right now. I have been a host for over 6 years, but just recently have had problems. I think the reason is that I dropped the price on my third unit as I wanted to get some bookings (and reviews) quickly when I started listing it. So far, out of the 4 guests I've had at the 'bargain' price I have had three problems. The last one left me with a broken tv, peanut butter all over sheets and comforters (they let a toddler eat a sandwich in a king-sized bed!) and they also had an against-the-rules pet. 

I have raised the price back up to what it should be. I do not want my units to be someone's idea of a great, cheap place to stay and trash.  

I️ find when you lower the price that’s exactly what you get is guests that do not respect your place or any type of house rules

Cheryl162
Level 2
Bradenton, FL

I have only really had 2 bad experiences, one with a woman who desided after staying here for 2 days , this wasn't the place for her after coming back to my home late afternoon, taking showers, hanging out and then leaving at 6pm. I was livid. I have been a host for several years and have always had great guests. I also have had a very difficult time being paid for a stay from Sept. 11, 2017. Still fighting with them to get their act together and pay me. Hopefully I will recieve by Thursday, 11-16. If not I will be calling LOCl news ivestigtor to get involved and get this corrected. Their computer software needs help, this is absurd to have waited so long and have talked to sooo many CS people, I now am hoping this last one, Nick, will finally get this resolved. But I am VERY RELUCTANT to take another guest until I recieve payment. I do have a strict cancellation policy and AIRBNB should stand by us Hosts and follow the policy we have chosen. If you book at a hotel and cancel after the cancellation date, then you are charged end of story. I would increase your security deposit to at least cover some damages in the future. If you have a guest in your home and they are causing damage someway, then you can kick them out. contact AIRBNB first. 

I hope this helps.

Philip150
Level 1
Tubac, AZ

I totally agree and think you definitely should be compensated for the damage that occurred. Why have house rules when they are not followed? A real waste of time and money to say the least.

I understand that Airbnb cover damage to your property, which I would argue is the case in this instance, by the insurance cover they tell us we have with them.   I dont see this as a 'break the rules' issue but a damage to property by excessive numbers not permitted on the property by you.  I once had an issue with a guest after a small amount of damge. I contacted ABB, they told me that I should first set up a 'dispute' case on their site and try to resolve the issue with the guest. If that did not happen then ABB would become involved. The guest paid for the damage via the ABB booking page as a 'dispute' charge.  Hope that helps a little.

Karrie1
Level 1
Chesapeake, VA

This is my first 6 mos of hosting and also learned this lesson of a house rule-breaking guest.  In my experience, if you charge additional fees beyond a certain no. of guests in your listing you can likely charge that guest for any additional headcount.  We had both neighbor input and wifi evidence of such.  Unfortunately with broken items, I have found you need the original purchase receipt in order to claim reimbursement for a replacement.  Realistically when you open your home to Airbnb guest, who has receipts for all the objects in their home?!  Like others have posted, with a service repair invoice that too can be claimed but work quickly.  I believe all has to be submitted within 14 days of check-out.   Good luck!

You don't necessarily need receipts. I uploaded photos to the guest of the damage (her friend spilled wine all over the bed, the walls, the rug. Airbnb asked me to request reimbursement through resolution before they get involved. Luckily I sent her the photos and a request for clarification as to why no one reported the accident before they left, and because it was dated before the next guest moved in, Airbnb said they could help if the guest didn't pay. Luckily, she did pay within 24 hours and the money was deposited in my bank account without a fee.

So try that. I'm now taking photo records of everything.

Bc-Miroslava0
Level 1
Bratislava, Slovakia

Yes, bnb do not support any claim opened because house rules, because you dont have any proof, in this case that they can identify as a claim you have to do your own "rules" and listing it officially at Airbnb. We simply wrote in our House rules that for breaking any of our house rules guests will be charged 100€ or more. And we gave to neighbours the app (there are many apps) which neuighbors in case of emergency and breaking silence hours they will call like that. So in this case we have also proof. Also we keep saying that we are living in the same building. But you own house. If thats help, I am very glad for you. Thanks