How do I deal with Guests breaking house rules

How do I deal with Guests breaking house rules

Hi, 

I could use some information or feedback about a guest that broke house rules. My problem right now is that airbnb won't give me the deposit. We rent out our whole house on the beach. One big house rule is No weddings/parties. One quest clearly had a wedding and I have lots of pictures to prove it. By having the big party they also made the plumbing flare up and there was literally crap in the shower and toilets because too many people where using the bathrooms and clogging everything up. One reason we say no parties. It cost about $1000 to call a plumber and a septic tank guy, plus cleaning up some elses crap in a shower and having to put things back were they belong. 

Anyway, if we have house rules and they get broken why doesn't airbnb compesate for that? I mean whats the point in having house rules or a contract if it does nothing? 

Thanks

94 Replies 94

I totally agree. There should be more support for hosts who have guests that break rules

It is so hard to get a specific answer from Airbnb in regards to guest breaking house and airbnb rules. I've had a guest break house rules and have been asking how much notice I need to give them before I ask them to leave. This answer is impossible to obtain! My guests are in a long term agreement but are only paying month by month. In accordance with my state rules, I have to first serve them a breach of rules notice and then I can ask them to leave but they have 14 days to remove their personal belongings. There has been a very good indication that more than the 4 allowed guests are staying at the property. My electricity and water bills have gone through the roof indicating that there are much more than 4 people staying (hard to prove without pictures though) uhhhh!!!!

I know I'll get a poor review for removing them from my property, but why should I let guests trash my house and community property and they think its ok and there will be no consequences? Airbnb needs to be clear about host rules in relation to if guests break the rules and what needs to happen if the guests are asked to leave before their stay is complete.

IF, being the operative word.

@Allison123  I might be inclined to call a remediation company that deals with smoke smells in advance and ask if they can come confirm the smells and provide a written document to Airbnb.

it's a terrbile feeling when you know upon guest arrival that there was inevitably be problems.  you basically have anxiety their entire trip waiting for that call...

i would at least place a call to Abb cs so that it is on record.  should you need to ask them to leave, i wouldn't worry about their poor review, as you can always publicly respond to their review.  no future host will want a guest who smokes (unless they don't mind).  ps.  if your listing states NO SMOKING as a house rule, it is my understanding you will be compensated.  Call!

Issa3
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

This thread has really put me off think I'm going to rent to tenants instead much safer and I don't want my new house destroyed 

Hi Issa,

I moved from renting to Airbnb because I was only getting tennents staying about 1 year and getting the place back with damage every time. The deposit never covered the damage. Having just spend £200 cleaning up and decorating after a party, 3 weeks later its happened again. I think its time to move from Airbnb are they dont ofer any protection to the host.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

That's what I am understanding too. So really house rules mean nothing (unless something was damaged) is what I gather? Am I wrong?

If someone break house rules, what actually AirBnB should do if you can't prove the facts? However when it's about broken things I can say that once time it happened to me, small thing, €40, made a picture and solved all via the resolution center. 

By the way, I really don't know what are the rules in your country, but generally if you rent the whole house/apartment, you look as a business and you should be registered and so, as normally happens, brings an insurance on the house/apartment.

7.1.7 Airbnb recommends that Hosts obtain appropriate insurance for their Host Services. Please review any respective insurance policy carefully, and in particular make sure that you are familiar with and understand any exclusions to, and any deductibles that may apply for, such insurance policy, including, but not limited to, whether or not your insurance policy will cover the actions or inactions of Guests (and the individuals the Guest has booked for, if applicable) while staying at your Accommodation or participating in your Experience, Event or other Host Service.

--------- 

The Host Guarantee should not be considered a replacement or stand-in for homeowners or renters *insurance*. The Host Guarantee does not protect:

• cash and securities
  • pets
  • personal liability
  • shared or common areas

Certain types of property–such as jewelry, collectibles, and artwork–have more limited protections. Hosts may want to secure or remove such valuables when renting their place, and may want to consider independent insurance to cover such items. The Host Guarantee does not protect against reasonable wear and tear.

https://www.airbnb.com/terms/host_guarantee

Yes and if you file a claim they put your account on hold and block you calendar! It is horrible!

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@MaryKathryn0

I have a well and sceptic system and do not understand how that situation arises, is there something unusual about your system.

You have photographs, di you find this had happened later?

You can of course claim for damges but am an unclear how this one arose.

David

It is a very small tank. Bought the house a year ago and the preivous owner said that with parties it will get back up. Hawaii doesn't have the best systems. They had a wedding with lots of guests using the restrooms. 

@MaryKathryn0 seems like you might to want have a way of monitoring how many people access your house -- nosy neighbor, assigned caretaker, security cameras...

Also several of us with septic systems (myself included) include info about the necessity of respecting the plumbing in our rules, house manuals, contracts, etc. My system has a very loud alarm that starts ringing well before you could have raw sewage coming into the house. That couldn't have been a very pleasant rental for your guests if thinking of them addressing that with their illegal guests makes you feel any better.

Also, to be clear, you most certainly have recourse for holding your guest responsible for damage to your home. You just need to follow the proper procedures for reimbursing you for the plumber and the extra cleaning, you could also theoretically charge them for the additional guests that were on property if you have included an extra guest fee in your listing. But both of these things work better the more quickly you begin the process.

@MaryKathryn0Where were you when this wedding took place? It is not like a wedding is an impromptu affair, there are at least some obvious preparations before it happens.