Guests bring their own sheets?

Michele39
Level 10
New Orleans, LA

Guests bring their own sheets?

I have guests here now who have brought their own sheets. I don't mind, and I understand why people do it. But they didn't mention it before booking, nor did they mention it after they got here. They just went ahead and stripped the beds right after arrival, without comment. Now, looking back at the way some guests have left the room (with piles of sheets on the floor), I think other guests have done this too.

I wish I had known ahead of time. I would have left the beds bare (less work for me!) and given them a small discount. But now my sheets are all over the floor, so that's not an option.

Does anyone have anything in their listing about "you get a discount for bringing your own sheets"? I'm thinking I'll mention it not in my listing, but in my initial "Thank you for booking with me" message, where I reiterate house rules. If they reply in the affirmative, I'll offer them something like a $10/night discount.

Thoughts?

6 Replies 6
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Or add a hamper where they could put the sheets and make no mention of any discount since the cost is the same to you either way. Once you go down the discount road....

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

A good idea I think, as someone bringing sheets and making their own bed saves you quite a lot of money and time. How quick would cleaning be if they have done that part of the job already!

But you then discover they have not used their own sheets, just crawled in under blankets or duvets. What then? Wash the blankets & duvets?

Kathryn-and-Paul0
Level 8
Lower Hutt, New Zealand

No I would not be happy with this, as @Richard0 has mentioned they may not bother with sheets or worse bring in sheets that have critters in them. Also some of my guests have been travelling

for some time, their sheets may not be clean. Not a direction I would be willing to head down. 

Helen56
Level 10
San Diego, CA

I wouldn't offer any discount.  I put clean sheets and bedding on the bed - it would be their choice to change it.  I've never had this happen.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Never even heard of this nor of course encountered it, yet it some cultural circles it is a common practice, as shown by other threads in this forums. One learns something every day.