Guests bringing in visitors and extra people - biggest problem we have.

Cherie71
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

Guests bringing in visitors and extra people - biggest problem we have.

Having extra guests and/or visitors is the number one complaint we have. The rules are in the House Rules; when we send the check-in information, we repeat the 'no guests'-'no smoking' rules, there is a notice on the refrigerator with another reminder.  

Still, guests bring in other people.  We get responses such as; Well, we didn't think that meant family members. We're just having some people over to listen to music. They're only here to have dinner - put together these business brochures - having a bridal shower - or any number of other excuses.  

Guests last week insisted they were 'surprised' by the rule! Surprised?!  They had family in the city and instead of meeting at the local family member's house for dinner, they invited them to the apartment.  Instead of accepting they had broken the house rules and going to the local family member's house for meals, they created a huge stink; left the place in a horrible condition.

We've added the line to the house rule on guests detailing friends, family, not a moment, blah blah blah, how much they will be charged per visitor/guest.  

But if guests don't read the rules before they book, what difference can it make?  

We don't know what else we can do that this won't happen.  Any suggestions?

P.S. I posted this under another host's post. I felt that I may have usurped her post thus the redo.

23 Replies 23
Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Cherie71 

I think you need to have blinkered vision and just bite the bullet.

Everything you say does 'just happen'.

You have thought about the problems, made your rules for your guests to abide by, your guests have agreed to them in a legally binding contract (even if they don't read), so.. You need to follow through with whatever charges or consequences you have stated according to your rules.

Evict them, charge them, ask them to leave, whatever you decide. Just don't let them abuse your hospitality.

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Cherie71 

Your rules state:

- No guests. Not even for a moment! We couldn't be more serious about this rule. No family, friends, co-workers, uber drivers, no one! Only the # of guests listed on the reservation are allowed in the home. A charge of $75.00 per person above and beyond those on the original reservation. This charge is for any amount of time of a violation.

That seems pretty clear to me.

You would think so! 🙂 

We really don't like sounding like prison guards but when people keep ignoring the rules, something has to be done.  We have such a short renting season in Alaska and cannot afford to have guests abusing their stay.

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I would just say no parties and no over-night guests. No guests at all??? Really?

Really Pete69.  If a guest asks us beforehand and explains the parameters, we are more apt to give our ok.  Most of the violators have used the sneaky approach, bringing people in after dark assuming we don't know.  If we say absolutely none, there is no gray area.   We don't like policing.  

We just don't get why people think coming all the way to Alaska, where they have family living here, that they should have the family come to the rental instead of just visiting at the family's home, especially when the House Rules prohibit it.   

@Pete69 

Tough call.

We accommodate 8, there were 18 at a bbq at my house one time in an afternoon. My house, my bbq, my gas, (even my kitchen, condiments and facilities) not my guests. How many people need to be there before we take exception? We rent our place to specific guests, its not rented as a venue and it isn't a place for meetings or a garden party or a hotel. Booked guests do get to use all the facilities.

We started off being accommodating, but pretty soon realised that if you give an inch, guests take a yard so rather than open the flood gates, you're just better off keeping them closed.

Other occasions had guests invite friends who brought their pets. We don't accept unauthorised guests and definitely not pets, so we intervened. They arranged to meet elsewhere.

Pretty soon, an afternoon guest becomes a dinner guest becomes a sleepover. At which point there are we supposed to interrupt?

A host can always make exceptions if they decide to, but that should be the hosts choice and not a guest expectation.

I so agree!  

Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

@Cherie71 @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 @Pete69 

I have a 4 bedroom, 2 bathroom house.

I have insurance for STR.

One of the conditions of that insurance is that I am required to have the full legal names, in writing, of every guest staying. I have this in the house rules.

I find that the combination of a disclosed security camera, a substantial security deposit ( yes I know it's toothless but so far Aussies are pretty naive about this) and the following clauses in my house rules and then stipulated again after booking work for me, on the whole:

The number of guests booked for is the MAXIMUM number of guests allowed. If you booked for 2 guests, only 2 guests may stay. This is an INSURANCE REQUIREMENT. Our insurance also requires that you enter the FULL LEGAL names of every guest, including children to the section of your booking "who's coming / invite other guests' section. This is for your protection. If you need to alter the number of guests, IT IS ESSENTIAL that you AMEND THE BOOKING. It is NOT enough just to email us. Extra charges will apply at this point. Let us know if you need help.   For the same reasons, visitors may not come without prior arrangement. Violation of these rules will result in immediate cancellation of the booking

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

I totally agree that overnight numbers should be 'as booked' but a few people turning up to meet their relatives will always be allowed at our place. Our 'no parties' rule should allow us to stop big barbecues described above

@Mike-And-Jane0 

It starts with a 'couple of relations' and ends up with their kids, their kids' friends, some other relations, and their friends 'who were just visiting'.

Suddenly, two becomes ten.

Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

@Mike-And-Jane0 

I agree with you in pricinple. Whenever a guest has asked if a visitor may come over for lunch or for dinner of to admire the view, I have always said yes. I dont' have a problem with one or two visitors.  I have a problem with people assuming that they can bring over whomever they like whenever they like. I am by nature reasonably laid back, but I have found that the more relaxed I am, the more people feel that they can take liberties.  I don't care to be so strict, but fortunately for me, this rule genuinely is an insurance requirement. I therefore have no qualms about imposing it. And perversely, I have noticed the  firmer I am, the friendlier and more respectful the guests have become.   I have on several occasions had extra guests stay over one or two nights in a long stay for which I have not charged.  The booking guest has been very honest and upfront and I have been happy to be accommodating. For me, it's not about control, just mutual understanding and respect.

I also think the type of listing and the proximity of the host need to be a big consideration. I live a 1.5 hour drive away form my listing. I need to be reasonably sure things aren't going to kick off the second my back is turned. Hosts living in or nearby their listing possibly  have the ability to be more flexible.

And for what it's worth I've lost track of the number of times I've heard the explanation "it's not a PARTY - it's more a "gathering" - (of 35 people). I personally do not trust the merely ticking "no parties" box to genuinely prevent anything of the kind, as countless stories on these boards will attest.

Excellent info!  Do you put the insurance info in your Airbnb listing? 

On another vacation rental site, we are able to send a Client Information Sheet that the guest fills out with names, addresses, phone numbers, make of car, license, etc.  but we don't see anywhere on Airbnb that we are allowed to send another sheet for guests to fill out.  

@Cherie71 

Airbnb provide the facility for basic information. Its under the description of "Invite guests to your itinerary" in the booking guests dashboard. They chose the trip to your place > click Add guests > then invite guests to join their booking using their email address. If there are already Airbnb members in the group and get added to the itinerary you can check out their profiles. If  new members are added there will only be  their first names.

If you need further details, you are able to email guests with your own forms by using the Airbnb email address which gets provided with each booking guest.

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Rowena29 

explanation "it's not a PARTY - it's more a "gathering"

“Barbecue”. @Mike-And-Jane0 

We have that “No parties” rule. It’s like a toothless dog. Its benefit is that if a party happens, house rules are broken. For this, you can ask guests to leave and you keep accommodation charges to that point (Possibly), and receive a retaliatory review.

How would you intervene in an ensuing party with a guest who says “Its only a barbecue, we’ll be finished by 9.00” and there are several cars in your drive?