Guests bringing in visitors and extra people - biggest problem we have.

Cherie71
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

Guests bringing in visitors and extra people - biggest problem we have.

Having extra guests and/or visitors is the number one complaint we have. The rules are in the House Rules; when we send the check-in information, we repeat the 'no guests'-'no smoking' rules, there is a notice on the refrigerator with another reminder.  

Still, guests bring in other people.  We get responses such as; Well, we didn't think that meant family members. We're just having some people over to listen to music. They're only here to have dinner - put together these business brochures - having a bridal shower - or any number of other excuses.  

Guests last week insisted they were 'surprised' by the rule! Surprised?!  They had family in the city and instead of meeting at the local family member's house for dinner, they invited them to the apartment.  Instead of accepting they had broken the house rules and going to the local family member's house for meals, they created a huge stink; left the place in a horrible condition.

We've added the line to the house rule on guests detailing friends, family, not a moment, blah blah blah, how much they will be charged per visitor/guest.  

But if guests don't read the rules before they book, what difference can it make?  

We don't know what else we can do that this won't happen.  Any suggestions?

P.S. I posted this under another host's post. I felt that I may have usurped her post thus the redo.

23 Replies 23
Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 

EXACTLY!!!!!

Guests really do do the most extraordinary things, Even the good ones.

I've just had 6 blokes on a motor bike rally nearby stay.

I have to admit I was a bit worried. I envisaged dirt and mud all through the house - filthy towels and sheets,  a bit of a messy kitchen.

The house was close to spotless, some beds didn't even look slept in. There were a few lights left on but I can cope.

However, they had decided to spray paint something in black paint, i presume late at night because it was right under the external garage spotlight. There is substantial paint staining of much of the brickwork in the driveway.  I had left out heaps of old towels to use as rags "in case someone feels a sudden urge to change a carburettor"

I thought I'd been terribly clever doing this.

Not clever enough.

I didn't think to leave out heaps of old newpapers "in case someone feels a sudden urge to spray paint late at night and you don't think to use any of the  very substantial grass or dirt areas, but instead the feature brickwork"

Ho hum

@Rowena29  Haha- that so reminded me of the guys I rented my entire house in Canada to many years ago for 6 months while I was out of the country. 4 bikers. They took really good care of the place, paid the rent on time, it was clean and tidy when I returned, neighbors commented on what great guys they were- they had gone down the block and shovelled the walkway of the elderly spinster sisters who lived 3 doors down when it snowed, and shovelled the sidewalks all along my side of the street. Even the guy who ran the corner store said "Those were sure nice guys you had at your house, real good folks."

They had installed a dryer in my laundry room (I always just used my drying rack), without dinging up any of the walls or doorways when they moved it in, but it never occurred to them that hammering nails into my expensive industrial vinyl flooring tiles to keep the cord back against the wall maybe wasn't a great idea.

Yes, ho hum.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Cherie71 you can find many many posts about this going back years. Yes, it is a problem. You can utilize email to send guest information after booking, you can have them fill out forms with guest/car info. You can make sure that they are aware well before they turn up.

Much like @Rowena29 I use ABB rules and our "security company" as reasons why they can't have extra folks. ("the security company has a $150 call out fee if they have to send someone over for excess guest numbers")

The best way to handle this is to make sure they're aware before they're in your place

@Kelly149 

Is the security company fee just a threat as I don't see it in your house rules. (I might have missed it). It could be pretty difficult to administer if you do in fact rely on a security company's services and the rule cannot be seen in your listing.

A good rule to have.

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 you know (and I know) but hopefully guest does not know, that ABB doesn't believe in "fines". The security company is us and thus far we've never had reason to utilize this feature, but as @Cherie71 is discovering, guests often need reasons other than "because I said so" and "because the House Rules say so" to comply with instructions.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Cherie71   I am not convinced that the listing rules are either read or remembered so the important stuff I also include in my message responding to either the booking via IB or a request to book.  Perhaps you could include the following in your host message early on:  "Please confirm you understand that no unregistered person shall be on the property at anytime.  Lack of confirmation or violation of this rule will result in immediat cancellation of the booking. I appreciate your cooperation and understanding of this requirement."  Just a tought.

@Cherie71 

To add to what @Linda108 said, we send a "Thanks for booking message" which points out exactly that sort of thing. Specifically things which guests in the past have raised issues about (because they don't read) and as well, telling them to make sure they have read our House Rules and that they are happy with them. In here, I would add anything which you think the guest might be grumbly about from conversations you've had.

The guest does get 48hrs free cancellation, so if you pile on the potential problem areas now, they have every opportunity to cancel and cannot blame you or your House Rules later. (Plus Customer Services can see you pointed this out to them too if you need to take any action). I don't mention "cancel now for free within 48hrs", Airbnb promote that enough already.

We do give the 'thanks for booking reminder of the rules' message upon booking, not quite as strong though as Linda108 suggested on the guests.  

We have the House Rules listing the 'no guest/visitor, not even for a moment' policy -

We send the Thank You for Booking message reiterating the house rules, emphasizing the no guests and no smoking.

We have the policy on a notice posted on the refrigerator in each apartment.

We have the policy in the Information Book on the coffee table. 

We also remind guests that we have an on-site manager in case of an emergency, and outside security cameras, with the hopes they will get it that they are being observed (not in a creepy stalker way, of course).

We'll tweak the House Rule item again and sincerely appreciate all of you who took the time to respond.  

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

I think people just don't understand why hosts are bothered about this. After all, they can book a hotel room for a party and invite as many people as can squeeze in. Airbnb needs to add this to their updated party policing efforts (chuckle. As if these efforts are serious. ) An Airbnb is not your home....you don't have the latitude to invite whomever you want to visit or stay.  I think one of the wonderful things about this form of hospitality

Is that you can bisit all kinds of cool or unique homes. But many people don't realize that they truly can't treat these homes as though they belong to them  

It would be really nice if Airbnb started a campaign to educate guests.  Hosts get a lot of prodding.  Why not guests?