Guests broke house rules, How should I review them?

Answered!
Nicole2558
Level 2
Tryon, NC

Guests broke house rules, How should I review them?

Had two guests stay last night. I asked them to please keep the outside doors closed so my cat won’t get out. I have documentation of them agreeing. 

I get home to find out they let my dog out of my room and left the back door to the porch open, letting the cat escape. One guest was really drunk. 

I was able to get the cat back in and my BF let them know to keep the doors closed because the AC is on and that the cat wasn’t suppose to be outside. After talking to them, the drunk one admitted to not liking cats.

Then they both told me how to run my Airbnb, keep the cat caged up “ if it’s so important to you, you should’ve kept him caged” and then they left.  Then they added that they won’t leave a bad review. so basically they turned it around making it my fault. 

my other guests were respectful to my animals so I was taken aback. They also did not go about open bedroom doors that wasn't assigned to them. 

I need advice. Should I just not leave a review and move on? 

1 Best Answer
Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Nicole2558 I would say something like XX were [insert something positive, polite, easy to communicate with, etc.] , but they had trouble following several of our house rules.  Our experience with XX indicates that they are a poor fit for a shared home accommodation, and would be better suited to an entire place or a hotel.  We would not host them again and cannot recommend them for shared home hosts.

They let your pets out, putting them at risk, that is sickening.  I would give them 1 star overall and 1 star for house rules.

I would wait until the last few minutes of the 14 day review period.  You should warn other hosts about these people as they are not safe to host for shared listings. 

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Nicole2558 

Just leave a general, neutral review, maybe "not a good fit" and rate them appropriately   Hosts will get the message.  Don't forget to the check the "will not host again" box.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Nicole2558 I would say something like XX were [insert something positive, polite, easy to communicate with, etc.] , but they had trouble following several of our house rules.  Our experience with XX indicates that they are a poor fit for a shared home accommodation, and would be better suited to an entire place or a hotel.  We would not host them again and cannot recommend them for shared home hosts.

They let your pets out, putting them at risk, that is sickening.  I would give them 1 star overall and 1 star for house rules.

I would wait until the last few minutes of the 14 day review period.  You should warn other hosts about these people as they are not safe to host for shared listings. 

Thank you for the advice. I’ll wait like you said. You gave me the perfect answer for their review. I do appreciate it. 

What’s crazy is that they told me that cats should be outside because that’s how they are. I did inform  them that my other Bengal was killed my coyotes when he got out. 

I assumed too that they thought they got the whole house but in the listing it says shared. 

Its a shame you've had such a bad experience with your guests.  

I would definitely give them a bad review but not 1 star. I think a 1 star is when your guest have trashed the house and had for example an illegal party. 

Maybe you could also write in your listing that there are animals in the house? People a sometimes very allergic or don't like animals so they won't rent the place. 

I see you've mentioned animals in your profile but not in your listing 🏡

Ah!  Thank you for noticing that and I will add it to my listings. 

@Nicole2558 It's very important to make the presence of pets clear in the listing, but I'd go even further than that because some people just don't read. The safety of your animals is at stake here, so it's worth leaving Instant Book off and discussing the living situation and pets with every guest before accepting their requests. If you're not convinced that their expectations are correct or that they'll treat your pets with care, decline.

A longer minimum stay might help too. Not all one-nighters are bad, but they don't tend to put much thought into choosing a listing and aren't invested in keeping good relations with others in the household.