Guests brought a dog - no pets allowed

CariandNate0
Level 4
Lafayette, CO

Guests brought a dog - no pets allowed

Hi there -

Anyone have experience with people who bring pets when the listing clearly states that pets are not allowed?  Ours has it listed (or crossed out) in the ammenities, it says no pets in the house rules (there are only 5 and one is "have fun" - how could they miss "absolutely no pets"), and in a photo caption...

I'm not sure how to handle as they seem totally surprised to hear that we're upset about the dog.  They say they searched by for a pet friendly listing and that's how they chose ours (impossible). 

Thoughts?  They've already left so not much we can do now... just trying to figure out how to avoid in the future.

Thanks!

94 Replies 94
Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

Just perhaps note in your rules that if guests arrive with a pet they will be turned away. I think that those guests probably thought that they had an exceptional dog that nobody can help falling in love with and were convinced that their dog would win you over.....!

Monica, but what do you do if they bring in the dog at a later time then when they check in?  I had guests check in with me, and they flew in.  However, they brought in a relative or friend who had a pet.  I didn't allow for a pet.  

Josie0
Level 1
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

My recommendation would be to mention the 'no pet' rule once you accept the request.  This will give the guest a chance to cancell and look for other accommodations.

I find that people do not read all the information that is provided so this would be a good step in advising them.

Art-House-On-43rd0
Level 4
Oklahoma City, OK

Our ad says absolutely no pets and absolutely no smokers. $100 fine for either and immediate departure. In 6 years I've had to hand out 2 fines one for a smoker one for dogs. It's your house. In the end. It's your house.

Mine listing also says no pets but several inquiries come in and as an aside they say, we have one / two dogs. Luckily I have caught them in time to ask them to book elsewhere. I do think that those booking an entire apartment /house believe they can get away with it - in the same way that parents book and fail to mention children or expect children of any age to be 'free' of charge.

Hotels and traditional bnb's do not allow dogs and guests would never consider turning up with a dog - but their seems to be a perception that ABB hosts homes are an exception.

Perhaps put a line in with the name of your most local dog boarding facility.

How do you go about collecting your pet fee??

I'm also interested in how you collect the pet fee?  I also ha a no-pets policy and I had a guest who brought their dog into my airbnb and the dog scratched up the leather sofa.  Not happy but also not sure where to go from here.  Anyone had a siilar experience with damages by pets?

We collect it on arrival or make them pay on arrival via Airbnb app

How do you fine someone?  How do you collect the $$.  

Yes, I was wondering the same thing. Seems like it would be tough to do.

Go after their damage deposit.

How did you hand out fines? It doesn't seem like you can take out of security deposit and guest needs to agree to the fine.

I'm new to this and it doesn't seem like there is much recourse for owners when house rules are broken.

What if they don't pay the fine? They don't HAVE to pay it, correct?

How do you fine the people?

My property clearly says No Pets and I send a welcome message few days in advance reminding them of this, still the guest brought in a puppy, and I had to throw out the beddings n do extra deep cleaning for my next guests. I do not live at or near the property and usually would not know until after guests checkout.