Guests can not book "Entire Homes" due to COVID-19

Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

Guests can not book "Entire Homes" due to COVID-19

Had a guest try to book tonight for March 24 and they were sent a notice by Airbnb saying "As part of our commitment to your safety, certain last minute bookings of entire homes are restricted right now. You can still book a hotel for your stay."...... This is BEYOND disappointing that no notice was sent out to hosts about this restriction. Found some other people also experiencing this same thing (see photo). Hopefully someone will be heard. 

***Not sure if this is only applying to listings in CANADA. (??)

***Will update when I hear back from Customer Service.

Just an FYI. Screen Shot 2020-03-19 at 11.09.17 PM.png

18 Replies 18
Dawn81
Level 9
Escondido, CA

@Kaylee18 that's odd I'm trying to understand the rationale.

@Dawn81  So am I    😐    

@Dawn81   From what I have read so far based on twitter and this forum, Airbnb is not allowing people to book "entire homes" at least until April 1 (since I had a booking today that went through for April 3) and they are suggesting they book with a hotel instead... however guests are still able to book private rooms, etc.. makes no sense to me. 

Dawn81
Level 9
Escondido, CA

@Kaylee18 is that just for bookings in Canada or would that include the US? Initially I thought CA was for California. A friend of mine just booked a few weeks in Orange County a whole house and so far his reservation looks good. His reservation starts in a few days from now. Doesn't seem to have a problem

@Dawn81  I honestly have no clue. It was a guest who tried to book that brought it to my attention and then I noticed other people talking about it. It may only be a thing in Canada. 

I changed my listing from "entire apartment" to "private suite" and now it allowed that guest to book. 

Very strange! 

I tried to call customer service, but apparently they are no longer accepting phone calls due to COVID-19......but when I do hear back from someone I will update! 

@Dawn81 @Sarah977 Sarah was right. This is not COVID-19 related. It just coincidentally started this week. It is only in Canada. Guests under 25 can no longer book entire homes, EVEN if they have a 5 star standing with multiple reviews. 

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5452766

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kaylee18 @Dawn81   Apparently this notice, which some hosts are receiving, has nothing to do with coronavirus, it just is a coincidence that it is appearing a lot now. 

It is a new algorithm that detects guests who are under 25 years old trying to book an entire home listing on short notice as part of their crackdown on preventing party houses. I think if you check, you'll find that the guest is under 25.

@Sarah977  that could be very possible! I was under the impression if a guest was under 25 but had a 5 star rating with multiple reviews then they would not be put in this category? 

@Kaylee18  Yes, my understanding was that they had to also have had a bad review or no reviews, so if the guest has multiple reviews and a 5* rating, that does seem odd. Too bad they're swamped right now with all the cornoavirus cancellations, or I'd suggest you call to clarify.

@Sarah977  Thanks for your help! I've messaged them and will hear back in a few days! 🙂 

@Kaylee18 @Sarah977 that sounds reasonable. To the house that run fees Airbnb understand that Airbnb has a policy that's trying to protect them?

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

What about guesthouses and entire guest suites (in-law units)?

@Pete69 .. Sarah was right.. this is not COVID-19 related. It is just the new rule in Canada that was coincidentally applied very recently. Any guest under 25 can not book an entire home, even if they have a 5 star standing (only in Canada). 

Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

@Sarah977   you are right. In Canada they do not even allow people under 25 with 5 star ratings book an entire home anymore 

thank you!