Guests complain about irreasonable things

Abi4
Level 2
Lucerne, Switzerland

Guests complain about irreasonable things

It is quite ridiculous, but already the last 3 guests that I had were complaining about irreasonable things. All complained that the house is not as bright as it looks on the pictures. They all checked in at night or on a very cloudy day, and the photos were taken with natural light. One complained that the floor is outdated, one that the wine glass in the closet is not well polished, and the other is that the house has bad smell from the neighbors which lighted an incense stick (she also threatened she will go to hospital and charge me... from feeling sick from the smell! seriously?!).
Yes, my listing is not for everyone, it is on a high floor with no elevator, but I definitely do not hide it and even mention in the attention note before booking in case they missed it. The place is pleasant, well designed, with thoughtful touches, and relatively not expansive (it's Switzerland, everything is expansive). I have the feeling people did not read the description properly and expecting a 5-star hotel for their budget. I have been part of the Airbnb community for many years and using the platform as part of my belief in the shared economy. I feel that my guests completely fail to understand this concept of being hosted in someone's home and choosing Airbnb just for being slightly cheaper than a hotel. 

What should I do to prevent the wrong guests from booking my place? 
Thank you in advance for your answers.

32 Replies 32
Donna1001
Level 2
Rogers, AR

I hopped on this conversation from a Google search, wondering if I get a cowhide rug for my space if animal-loving guests will leave me a bad review for that. I've not had any comments about my leather chair, but a skin rug in shape of an splayed out animal is a little more "in your face." But... I really want the cowhide rug!

@Donna1001  Hey, I've seen listings full of dead animal heads on the wall. Just make it very clear in your photos and maybe mention in your listing that anyone offended by a leather chair or the cowhide rug should not book your listing.

Thanks! Great suggestions.