Guests' complain after bad review

Dora31
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Guests' complain after bad review

so here is my story

I was away for 2 weeks so I thought that I would rent out my property. I got a reservation for 10 days - perfect.

The communication with the guests was difficult, had to ask a few times when they would liek to check-in. They arrived, all they said that beautiful flat. I told them that if they need anything or any questions, please do ask me or my cousin is in the town. I also told them via airbnb that there is a house manual left in the kitchen about how things work i the flat (manual of the washer-dryer, toaster,TV,oven, dishwasher,hob and emergency number). I also left a 3-page document about the cafes, restaurants around. no questions.

One day prior to check out they said that they want to stay an extra day - I said no probs, just book it on airbnb - never happened. They stayed an extra day but no communication that they checked-out. My cleaner came over and found out that all furniture in the living room was moved around (i specficially ask guests not to - written in the house manual), cut on the leather sofa and 4 big black marks on the white wall. Obvisouly i contacted the guests, no response for a few days so I involved airbnb. I tried to message and call the guest, no response, I asked airbnb to do the same.

I left my honest review on their site then finally i received a message back - private one as they missed the deadline.

- disappointed that there was no coffee machine and they had to purchase one (i had a kettle and free instant coffee for guests)

- disappointed that I provided 2 towels per person for 10 days so they had to manage to build in time to do laundry. As per the guest's comment I did not leave instructions how to use the dryer so they used the drying rack (manual of the washer-dryer left on kitchen surface)

- disappointed that I did not provide enough information about the area (grocery etc). Well, I had a 3 page document listing all cafes, big food stores, pubs etc and I also recommended my fav pub and breakfast place.

- they agreed to pay for the damage however they found the amount outragous - less than their deposit though

I was laughing first, but my question is would you reply the guest and telling her that she is wrong or just leave it? it was their first time using airbnb and I hosted over 100. what would you do? I just dont like when someone is not telling the truth

11 Replies 11

@Dora31 - No, do not respond.  You are in the middle of negotiations and even though you feel a need to call her on her crap, there is nothing to gain from responding.  Just let it go.  

@Alice-and-Jeff0

I normally would agree but I just do not feel that her comment is true at all as all information was provided. About the coffee machine, I personally would not think it is a big deal as I had a kettle. I really feel that some people expect a 5 star hotel service.

Anyway I am glad that they did not leave a public review. All of my over 100 guests left really good ones 🙂

@Dora31 Make sure you get your money from those liars first.

Should you ever decide to list your house again during your absence, make up an excuse, ANY EXCUSE to have your cousin or someone check-up on your place every 1~2 days and take photos of any damages and follow up with messages during their stay as well. I think if the host is not on site, it's better to be pro-actively vigilant so that there are no/less surprises later. 

@Jessica-and-Henry0

I personally would feel comfortable if someone checks on me every second day during my stay.

However, my communication prior arrival was clear: it is my own flat and i have stuff there: before acceptcing the booking I was very honest with them what they can and what they cannot do in the property. They decided to go ahead so should have respected my house rules. Anyway...let's see what is next

@Dora31 

It doesn't matter how clear your communication was, and that those guests accepted the terms and booked with you. Always assume people will try to break rules if they think they can get away with it.

Although people SHOULD respect house rules, reality is, a lot of people don't really care because it's not their house anyway and will try to do whatever pleases them if they think the host isn't looking or won't be able to do anything about it.

(You can't make guests UN do a violation. Your guests are probably thinking something along the lines of "not like the host can throw me out after I check-out just because I moved the furniture around a bit~ besides, what is she so worked up about? Not like I damaged anything!") 

I agree that there's little to be gained at this point, and you should really focus on getting payment for the damage. 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Dora31

I absolutely agree with @Jessica-and-Henry0 because to use a quote

"You get what you inspect, not what you expect."

Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

Hi @Dora31 Sorry you had this experience! The damage to your leather sofa is awful, so glad they agreed to pay for it, that's great. Some guests would refuse.

Just a few suggestions for you for future reference: When a guest requests to stay an extra day, it's up to you to make that change - go to their reservation, you'll see the options are cancel or change, click change and make the adjustment. With calendars usually blocked off for cleaning times before & after bookings, guests who try to book the extra day will get a message that says it isn't possible. They likely tried, got that message, had your approval so just assumed you'd take care of it. You might still be able to do it, I'm not sure, but if not, put in a request & ask for the money owed for that extra day.

In my experience, guests move furniture all the time, especially loiving room furniture - they'll pull chairs closer to the TV, move lamps to better suit their needs etc. Personally (this is just me)  I think it's an unreasonable expectation that they not move furniture. I simply move it back when they leave. Moving heavy furniture, like beds, is another story.

I have to agree with the guest - not everyone enjoys instant coffee, I'd find that disappointing too, but assume this is mentioned in your listing so they knew ahead of time? Maybe think about providing a coffee maker? 2 towels for a 10 day stay IS far too few - that's enough for a week-end stay only. I'd be upset if I had to wash towels every 2nd or 3rd day too - although I might have seen the instructions on the dryer. 🙂 Guests can be very frustrating in that often what they need is right in front of them. This is where guest communication is so vital, they should have contacted you to ask about the dryer. Sounds like they missed seeing your 3 page document too. Again, communication could have been better - the guest should have contacted you & asked. Some guests just don't, who knows why. Did you check in with them to ask if they had any questions or concerns? If not, that's something to consider doing.

As the guest said everything in a private message, you can reply if you like, but wait until all the Resolution Centre issues have been concluded. I think it's always best to take the high road - if it were me, I'd thank the guest for their comments and say something like "we want our guests to have the best experience possible, and regret that you were unhappy with some aspects of your stay.  We will definitely take your suggestions on board. Thank you so much for the feedback." etc.  Hope that helps - Karen

@Karen-and-Brian0

I have to disagree with you in many contexts, I am afraid.

1. extra day: I sent the alteration that was never accepted.

2. moving furniture: if I ask the guests not to, why would they move a 3 seater sofa, a heavy bookcase and dining table? and what I mean they completly re-organized the whole livingroom. I live in the property so it is not nice

3. Coffee machine: i would have taken it as a suggestion but not as a complain. I am not a coffee drinker and since I live in the property I do not keep any. But I always appreciate suggestions but the guests kind of made a big deal out of it

4. 2 bathtowels should be enough for 10 days. It is not a hotel so I am not able to provide fresh towels for each day. Me personally wash my own towels once a week so 2 towels for 10 days should be enough. By the way, they used the washing machine only once.

5. Missed seeing my 3 page document about recommendation: i left 3 leaflets: one in each bedroom plus in the kitchen area.

6. I reassured the guests that i am happy to answer all questions plus I left my cousins number with them - it was up to them.

7. They said that they will pay that did not happen - opened a case with airbnb

this topic was more like if you would go back to guests and ask how come they never mentioned any of these during their stay but now after seeing my review. and obviusly it was not true what they were stating

I think we host should be careful with first time airbnbs, I have over 100 only positive feedback so far so it would been really bad if she had left this review on my page. she did not even mention the great location, cleaniness of the flat, leaving them travel cards plus travel tips (Oxford, Cambridge), tube maps, all instructions to electronic machines. But all good, I decided to leave it as it is. They will learn from other experience. And I am happy with my current feedbacks and I will take only the cofee machine complain as a suggestion 🙂

@Dora31 Only you know what really went on and from your additional explanation, it really seems that these guests were uncommunicative & unreasonable. Not to mention strong, if they're moving that kind of furniture around!

Re: the towels - if you're not getting complaints then it's likely just a geographic thing. I live in Canada & many of our guests are from the US. If I only supplied 2 bath towels for a 10 day stay I'd have guest complaints galore. It would be considered far too few. I supply 4 bath towels, 2 hand towels and 2 facecloths for each guest with additonal towels available as needed. Anyone staying more than a week-end always uses the additional towels. Guests here wouldn't appreciate having to do host laundry every couple of days. So, maybe not a valid point to you, but sure would be for me. - Karen

Christian65
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

I agree with @Alice-and-Jeff0 Let it go even if its hard.

@Christian65

I agree, I was just a bit upset because I like honesty but this was just a pack of lie. And interestingly enough it came only after seeing my review 🙂

Hope they will learn next time, and I will also consider some facts