Guests debating house rules. No pets or children.

Bret17
Level 3
Bend, TX

Guests debating house rules. No pets or children.

Every week I have multiple people who message and call my other business asking if they can be allowed to bring their kids or pets even though it is against our rules.  This week I had a lady that sent me texts till 3am debating the reasons for the policy.

I have reasons for the rules and each week I have to explain to 4 or five people that they may not bring their kids or children.  Some people book anyway and tie up my reservations.  

My listing is polite and says that we can't host pets or children.  Many, many people think the rules should not apply to them.

Can't AirBnB tell customers not to contact us asking to break out rules.  

58 Replies 58
Tueykay0
Level 10
Santa Monica, CA

This is someone's private home and as I understand it and we can put restrictions on who enters. 

This is NOT an empty apartment where it must allow children (or families) and can't discriminate with gender, race, religion. etc. 

Many people, myself included have a no children or pet rule for whatever reasons of the home owners choosing. It is not a public place -it's a private residence offering our room/ home for people to stay at a more affordable price than a hotel. 

Hope this helps and good luck 

They simply make the pet an emotional support animal and then they can bring it - if you attempt to stop them Airbnb will remove your listing 😞

You can ask for a written note from their therapist in that circumstance and say it must be provided. And actually there is a loophole of this emotional support animal stuff that says if the owner lives on the premises then you can deny it. It’s on the ADA website. 

I’ve had two long term tenants pull a fake service dog stunt. I’m well versed. 

‘There are some conditions when a landlord can reject your ESA. Emotional support animal protection is meant to protect a person with an emotional or mental disability, the law is not made to punish the landlord. This is why there are particular situations where a landlord can reject an ESA.

First – if the animal is too large for the accommodation size. For example, a horse or a llama may be rejected from a small studio apartment.
Second – if the building has 4 units or less and the landlord lives in one of the buildings
Third – it is a single-family house that was rented without a realtor.”

im having a huge problem with people showing up with pets claiming they are service animals but ARE NOT! airbnb said i cant do anything about it?  im very close to deactivating my listing over this issue.  I have my own animals, one is blind and other people may have allergies that check in after them.  They are showing up with pets, not service animals, I work for an airline and know how this scam works, I deal with it everyday at the airport.  any advice before I throw in the towel??

Thank you.

Are you a lawyer giving ligal advice? or it is just your personal opinion?

Ben does not appear to be listing a private home,  he appears to be listing motel cabins.   I don't know Texas' public accomodations laws,  but I doubt he can exclude children.

@Kenneth12 You are right, because he is renting multiple cabin's he can be sued in the state of Texas for excluding children. He can state not suitable for children for safety reasons, but the parents can take on the liability for this and still request to book. 

That was roughly my guess.  He sure as heck shouldn't be marketing them as motel rooms.  (I didn't want to be disrespectful,  *but*).  He can mark them "not suitable" but I'd like to hear a serious reason they're not safe or appropriate-- even to sustain a liability waiver.

I usually just say NO, and add that my house rules are nonnegotiable and they should find somewhere else that is suitable to their needs.

If it's an inquiry, I decline and then immediately block the guest so they can't IB or send a reservation request. 

For reservation requests, I say point blank you need to withdraw the request because hosts are penalized for declining booking requests and I am clear about my rules which will be enforced no exceptions. I tell them I won't refund in addition to what the policy dictates and I will accept within he next 12hrs to keep my response rates up so they need to withdraw the request immediately. Most are quick to react and withdraw their request once it is clear I won't put up with rule breakers and I've made it clear I won't refund 🙂 

I hope to one day be as badass as you! 🙂

I'm going to have to remember this if I ever get into a situation like this. What a great response!

Suzanne....I also usually bombard them with messages of my house rules (the long versions) and copy+paste my listing description emphasizing that confirming the reservation automatically means the guest agreed to respect and follow ALL of these rules, NO EXCEPTIONS and put on a crazy neurotic controlling host act while continuously pressuring them to withdraw.  Most undesirable guests withdraw with the speed of light 🙂 

Thanks for the tip about no refunds and I'll accept their offer withing 12 hours unless they cancel themselves.

You ROCK!!!

In the US this is not possible. there are discrimination laws.