Guests debating house rules. No pets or children.

Bret17
Level 3
Bend, TX

Guests debating house rules. No pets or children.

Every week I have multiple people who message and call my other business asking if they can be allowed to bring their kids or pets even though it is against our rules.  This week I had a lady that sent me texts till 3am debating the reasons for the policy.

I have reasons for the rules and each week I have to explain to 4 or five people that they may not bring their kids or children.  Some people book anyway and tie up my reservations.  

My listing is polite and says that we can't host pets or children.  Many, many people think the rules should not apply to them.

Can't AirBnB tell customers not to contact us asking to break out rules.  

58 Replies 58

using the special offer sound as a good solution too. Send them special offer with much  higher rate and change the dates if they do not accept the special offer with in 24hr. the request will be canceled.

I do decline, but use the reason, "does not meet guests' needs," so those dates stay open for others. 

Hi in my listing i say no pets babies or children.

Under house rules i put “if you bring pets, children or babies you agree to pay $100 per night per pet, child or baby to owner prior to commencement of stay”. That works

Also know that host written HR aren't visible on the app (unless that differs on phone brands), so wise to repost them in another segment of the description.

I'd also include those issues most problematic with guests multiple times in the different listing segments.

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Bret17 Make sure you write it in your description that you do not allow pets or kids.Very often guests do not read the house rules which is below on your page.You can also make new photos of your place with a sign no kids or pets allowed.I believe your place looks like a good place for families so i guess this is the reason why you get so many inquiries.I bet the soccer moms are bombarding you with questions because you are not allowing their kids on your property 🙂 Good luck and happy hosting!!!

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Well let's see.

Your listing says you're offering a *motel* cabin.  In the United States,  motels and hotels and B&Bs that are not private homes,  and anything else that's legally required to register as a public accomodation,  are generally required by law to accept children.  So there's that.  (And you probably are and a complaint to the local authorities could result in a lot of difficulty for you.)

Next,  you list the name of your General Store in the listing title.  So that's why you're getting the calls.

~K

Kenneth, You are ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!  How great of you to actually look at Bret's listing.  https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/24848659  

It sure does look like he is offering accommodations to the general public - just outside of a Texas state park.  But, they do things differently in Texas, yeah?    🐵

And there are photographs & logo of his General Store in the listing, so of course, people know they can call directly ... circumventing Airbnb's policy of trying to keep people from negotiating off-site.

So, my opinion is that Bret does not have a complaining leg to stand on ... ... ... BUT the "issue" is quite a relevant one.  Guests RARELY read the listing details and FREQUENTLY ignore the house rules and do not pay for extra people.  As an Owner, the trick is figuring out who those people are before allowing them to stay in your house.  I'm trying to develop that Spidey-sense!

@Margo12 as I just told @Kenneth12 this is basically a lawsuit waiting to happen in the state of Texas. These are multiple cabins @Bret17 does not live in. He can state not suitable for children, but the parents can still take on the liability for them and book according to Texas law.

Yes, I know.  I was being (partially) sarcastic about 'Texas'.  

Still, I see the issue as being that Guests debate, ignore, or refuse to comply with requirements clearly defined in Owner's listings.  The larger issue is that Airbnb does not support Hosts/Owners and Guests know this.

Yes that is the point I am trying to respectfully make.  Thank You!

I spent about a half hour today writing out - again - why we cannot host children on our working farm. 

But usually a brief description of a few of my brothers and cousins who were injured right here on our family farm as children does the trick . . . 

"From my brother - who talked a friend into jumping off the hay-bailer at the age of 9 - with nothing to support him but a tea towel tied around his neck (Superman? No. Broken arm!), to my cousin, who nearly lost his head looking under the potato dump truck to see, "What's liftin' that thing up?" to his son, thirty years later, who lost a leg to similar curiosity, I am a repository of countless stories of curiosity gone wrong, right here on the farm. I could not bear for your children to add to my list of stories." 

I usually get a, "Thank you - we hope to meet you in four years," after this. But it is a hassle to have to write it out every few days. I usually go back through my mail and copy and paste the last one... 

My situation is different. The cabins share access to a beer bar so I can decide if kids are allowed. Thanks, Bret

I am aware of why I am getting calls.  That is not my complaint.  We have a beer bar adjoining the cabin areas so by law I deciede if kids are allowed.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Seems to me that whatever @Bret17 can do according to State and Federal aw he is not taking into account the terms he agreed to when using AirBnB.

David