Guests didn’t check out on time

Roxanne69
Level 2
Tampa, FL

Guests didn’t check out on time

My guests were supposed to check out by Noon. I got to my Airbnb and their belongings were still in the house. I contacted Airbnb and still haven’t heard from them after more than 16 hours. We definitely need more support from them. 

4 Replies 4
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Roxanne69 I wouldn't worry about Airbnb at the moment: they're not going to come to your place and get rid of your guest and/or their belongings. I'm assuming you've already contacted your guest via the Airbnb messaging system? If not, I would message them and ask them about their checkout. I would also try calling them. I'm assuming they were not at the property when you went there. 

How long was the guest staying for? If it was just a short stay, I would send them a message via Airbnb messaging saying that if you don't hear from them by x day/time, you will remove their property from the unit and store it. I would also secure the unit so they can't re-enter without you, if that is possible. 

If the stay has been long enough that they could be considered a tenant in your area, things get more complicated. 

However, the first step is contacing the guest. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

What support are you expecting from Airbnb in this situation @Roxanne69 

Presumably you contacted your guests before check out to confirm your check out times and called the guests when you arrived to find they hadn't checked out.  Are you saying the guests didn't respond ?

if so, photo and video possessions with date stamp and pack them up if other guests are arriving.

confirm with guests that you have done this as they have overstayed, there will be a charge for them overstaying and they will need to make arrangements to collect belongings in xxx days or they will be disposed of. 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Roxanne69 As mentioned already, it's really down to you to take control of the situation in the moment. Don't rely on and wait for Airbnb before you make a move. Once check out has come and gone, guest  becomes trespasser. That is, unless they have been installed long enough to gain tenant rights, as also mentioned. That's the most important detail, as to what your next moves are, once you find that guests have not vacated.

@Roxanne69 I'm not sure what kind of intervention you hope for from Airbnb here. The first thing you should do is contact the guest to find out whether they intend to extend their stay. If they do, and you're able to accommodate that, you can require them to accept an alteration request with the new checkout date and charge. But if they've simply late with checking out, just inform them that you have begun the cleaning and changeover process and will have to remove their belongings.