Guests don't think 4 stars is bad but Airbnb does!

Dustin25
Level 6
Pittsburgh, PA

Guests don't think 4 stars is bad but Airbnb does!

I recently had a guest check out and leave a good review but still rate me 4 stars. When I asked her what the issue was or what I could have done to make it better I could not believe what I herd! 

Her suggestion was that I have a house manual to go over all the intricate details like how to turn on the heat/AC, how to work the TV, turn on the fire place, etc. I have a guest book with all that information printed out in the kitchen where she admitted she was not in very much because she is on vacation. Her next suggestion was that she did not get any suggestions for places to go or how to enjoy the area. All this is in my guest book on Airbnb and in the messages I sent her during her 5 day stay, I was informed that they were fine and did not need anything. 

Her next suggestion was yes you guest it something in my listing and my house manual about my availability to meet them. I have always offers to meet the guest if they want but if they don’t tell me they would like to meet me I just let them do their own thing. I was informed that it seemed like it was informal for me to sign off on my messages with my name and my cohosts name. I was injured in my last tour in Iraq and have TBI (Traumatic Brain Injury) my co host reads my messages then sends them back to me so when a menages are from us both I put both our names on them.She informed me that she did not know how she was talking to even though its my picture and my profile they are coming from.

I am a US Army Combat Veteran and on Memorial Day Weekend I have brother to meat up with and go to our fallen brothers Memorials and grave cites so its more than a 3 day weekend for me but I still made sure that all the needs were addressed that I was told about! I was informed later that she had run out of toilet paper wile she was there for her 5 day stay and there was only one refill and I did not have any extra tissues, or paper towels. I have in the guest book that I spent so much time on making that she did not read that extra suppliesare available for longer stays and they only have to reach out to let me know. I have stoped supplying extra stuff because people take them! I don’t have a $299 a night house booking where I am making money hand over fist and can afford to just keep buying stuff for ever time it flips! They got the place for $86 a night, this is a bargain Memorial Day Weekend but if you are still reading this you know guest expect the world for the lest amount of money! We are at their mercy!

I was also informed that the bar that is down the street was loud at 2 a.m.. This is mentioned in my guest book and the booking itself that there is road and street noise that does go on. The house is in the City and there is night life that goes on. I feel like if she wanted the suburbs she should have booked them. I was also informed that one night she got home late and there were people out side the bar drunk smoking cigarets and she did not feel safe! My home is located in one of the top 3 safest places in the city of Pittsburgh. I have police officers that are friends of mine that gave me updates on crimes that happen around my are and its low. There are mutable million dollar houses that are all around mine and crime is not an issue.

This guest is initialed to her opinions and she has got a lot of them as you can see and she is an initialed guest! In the end we got a rating of 5 for accuracy, check-in, cleanliness, communication, value, and 4 stars for location and over all.

"My husband and I have stayed at a lot of AirBNB and VRBO rentals” they only had 3 reviews and all from the same person. Yes I know that they could have been staying with friends that have them but still she is just one of those guest that thinks their option is law and well it is. 

I am at a 4.9 still for my review with a total of 38 and 87% 5 stars. If you are thinking thats pretty good why are you upset about one dumb initialed guest? "If I keep on like this I will just go mad". That is not the issue I am having; we as the host of this Airbnb community are at the mercy of people that don’t read our listings or rules, don’t take the time to communicate with the host, expect things to be free or given (i.e. time, extra guest, early check in, showing up drunk and puking all over the beds and walls). We the hosts are the ones that have to carry the 4.7 rating or we can get taken off the cite. I have purposely not asked for compensation for extra cleaning, or guests braking things in the house and my house rules because I did not want to get a bad review.

In the end I gave her a 5 star review and recommended her to other guests before I know that she was not a realistic person.

What is my solution? "If you are still reading this and have not thought this guy is crazy”
We as the hosts should be able to recommend people after the reviews are posted. We can’t just put in a review that a person has none realistic views of what they are getting. This guest did not read my house rules make sure you make it clear to them. This person is over wight and might need some extra amenities if they book your place you should be aware. These are things that host can communicate about that don't need to be on the reviews. We shouldbe able to askvery easily to other host that have written reviews was this person good or did you just put up something generic review that you give to everyone.

I hope my rant has entertained you as it was a good way for me to get out my feelings about 2nd class citizens we the host community is treated like.
25 Replies 25

@Dustin25

" I still made sure that all the needs were addressed  "

That is the problem ....these "needs" of some people go way beyond what you are supposed to be realistically providing and even then they dont appreciate it..as in your case...

Just let these kind of guests pass you by....move on...get ready for the next one...  the review and scoring system is a nonsense ..everyone is having to come to terms with that and just live with it,despite the complaints we give to Airbnb  (they dont listen..)

Leave a comment here if you have not done so already ..good luck to you 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/Clarity-about-the-recent-Superhost-criteria-chang...

Lynette57
Level 10
Gladstone, Australia

@Dustin @Mike340 I agree with you Mike, Just move forward Dustin and forget about the stupid review system, I have had several overall 4 reviews, one being for a smudge on the kitchen counter top. another being because the guest had to slow traffic on the road so he could reverse his huge (really huge) boat into the property, and another because the neighbours dog barked at the guest while she was hanging washing on the clothsline. REALLY, GO FIGURE. There was nothing I could do accept move on, Just enjoy life ,love good people, do not over cater, and keep up the great job that you are already doing.

Thank you for the wise words. I am jsut loosing steam but I will get back into the swing of things soon.

Marguerite23
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Hello Justin,

Same here.

When guests check in, I kindly remind them to let me know if there is anything that could be improved during their stay only. If they state it afterwards in their reviews it would be  absolutely pointless to them or to me, as it would not give me the chance to improve their customers' experience while they are in my flat. Unfortunately, the location is still a big 4* fail for a minority of guests (without specific explanation), according to Airbnb rating system. I have no influence on the location and I am stuck with 4 stars.

My location is quite clear, guests select and  book it.  I am not questionning their 4* for location anymore. I just don't welcome them back. End of.

Swati3
Level 7
Bay Shore, NY

Pardon me for a long-ish response, but I am beginning to think Airbnb needs to take some of the onus for educating guests on how reviews work and what makes a fair review. I am curious to hear what others think about this and whether hosts should take this further with Airbnb.

I recently read an article about how the discrepancy between the way hosts and guests think of reviews causes hosts a lot of stress. Here is the article, I think its well worth the read and fairly accurate: 
https://www.forbes.com/sites/sethporges/2016/06/29/the-one-issue-with-airbnb-reviews-that-causes-hos...

I tend to think there are two issues with reviews:

a)  Ratings in general - Any time we are asked to review something we start over-thinking, over-analyzing and tried to be "dis-passionate".  This is proved to be true most commonly with test audience when they are asked to watch a film in order to leave a review. They suddenly become over-critical, and almost never enjoy the film as much as a regular viewer who watches for the sheer experience.  Unfortunately, not  much can  be done about this aspect of human pyschology. 

b)  Ratings by guests - Airbnb style of hosting where hosts also get to review guests is fairly new to the hospitality industry (or any industry for that matter). Guests are used to a world in which the reviewing was always one sided, consumers got to review what they consumed: hotel stay/item that they bought etc. This old style mentality is pervasive, and can sometimes lead to a sense of entitlement where guests presume THEIR review of a listing is the only thing that matters, and the hosts are the ONLY ones responsible for creating a stellar experience.  One can't blame the guests, afterall guests don't receive threatening emails  from Airbnb saying if they got 4 star rating, Airbnb wont let them make another booking on their system!. So, in a way Airbnb has put the onus on hosts to be at their best but it is less stringent on the guests. Also it has put the entire onus of educating guests about reviews on the hosts. This is where I think Airbnb can and should support its hosts.

This is what Airbnb could do (just my thoughts, maybe others can chip in as well?)

a) Before check-in, Airbnb could educate Airbnb guests (espcially the first time Airbnb guests) that hosts also review guests and that Airbnb's entire model is based on two way trust and responsibility.  A pleasant experience at Airbnb is a shared experience. 

b) Airbnb could also give some guidance to guests regarding what I call "compassionate reviewing". Before check-in/ after check-in/ on review form, Airbnb could inform the guests that reviews affect hosts in many ways - such as in the search results, their host status etc. It could also educate guests on what makes a great review - for eg if the guest stayed at a small townhome, where the service was perfect & the host did whatever they could to make their stay comfortable, then guests should give the rating based on that particualr experience instead of comparing their experience with their last stay at the Ritz Carlon because that won't be fair! 

c) Airbnb should not allow the rating for location to affect any statuses like super host, search results etc. as hosts have no control over their location and guests know nearly exacly where they are going to stay  even before they book (on that note why is location even reviewed, reviews should be for things that are unknown before the stay!)  Either way I am unsure if Airbnb takes the location review into account in any manner.  Maybe someone else knows?

If Airbnb did some or all of the above (it shouldn't be difficult), it would do it's bit in educating guests about reviews, and reduce the discomfort and down right stress on the hosts about bending over  backwards to get "5 star reviews", because "4 star reviews" are actually bad! 

I am curious what other people think about all this and whether there is way to request this of Airbnb?

Swati 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Well put and thanks for the article. I review films from time to time as part of my job and you are so right, it completely changes (although not necessarily destroys) one's enjoyment of the movie.

Re Location, from what I understand, it does not affect Superhost status. I am sure I saw information from Airbnb on these forums confirming that, but who knows if that is still the case as they do tend to change things without warning.

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Dustin25. I'm with @Swati3 on this (LOVE the idea of Airbnb inviting guests and hosts to leave 'compassionate reviews', Swati). I just posted this comment on another post, and it seems appropriate to copy it here: 

What guests are told by Airbnb: 4 Stars = 'Very Good'. 5 Stars = 'Fantastic'.

What Hosts are told by Airbnb:  Maintain a 4.7 or you risk having your listing removed from the platform.

Why the disparity? Why is Airbnb seemingly intentionally misleading the guest when they solicit the guest's review?

I don't get it.

My own solution: Guests read a brief statement from me saying that Airbnb's review system is NOT like a hotel system. 5 Stars means the property was as the listing and photos described. I ask the guests to let me know if they find this is not the case. I let guests know that Airbnb's review system is similar to Uber's, in that anything below 5 stars can result in warnings, suspension, or possible removal from the platform.

I wish I did not have to do the above, I really do. But I am not putting my business and my livlihood in the hands of guests who are being (deliberately?) misled by Airbnb to believe that 4 stars is a 'very good' review. This is especially important for first time Airbnb users, who are allowed to book with me, which is a real risk on my part - Given the complete lack of appropriate education on Airbnb's part. 

I have had more than one guest thank me for my brief, written educational blurb. They are gob-smacked, really. They cannot understand why Airbnb sets guests up to potentially harm a host by telling them 4 stars is 'very good'. And they thank me for telling them the truth. It is all so very unnecessary, and frankly, it casts Airbnb in a poor light.

Swati3
Level 7
Bay Shore, NY

@Dustin25.

Thanks @Rebecca181 . It is interesting that you give your guests your own brief statement to clarify ratings. It appears that many of us are devising our own ways of dealing with the random-ness of ratings but its very real impact on us.  I would like for some of us to get together and bring the idea of "compassionate reviews" to Airbnb.For this, I have just started a new thread here:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Hosts-need-Airbnb-support-with-Compassionate-Review-Guid...

Please like and add your comments to that thread, and also invite other hosts to do it. It's time Airbnb shows its love and commitment to its "community of hosts"!

What say you all?

Swati

Indeed, @Swati3. Airbnb's public messages and press releases go out of their way to emphasize their caring, compassionate, community-minded stance (as with the recent releases about the village in Japan that has benefited from Airbnb's presence). So, the question begs to be asked, why is the same appearance of care and concern not displayed and/or acted upon with equal vigor and force by Airbnb Corporate toward it's own Host and Guest community? Hosts, especially, since we are the one's that can have our businesses destroyed by even just one unfair, undeserved (e.g., retaliatory) review. 

Will check out your post now!

OMG,  @Rebecca181!  Can you see my thread? I posted it, I saw someone viewing it, and then it seems to have been removed!! Are you able to see my post, like it, comment under it etc?

@Swati3 See below - I had just now alerted you to this - So, you didn't remove it. Well, that's par for the course. Glad these sorts of things don't happen to just me! Don't be surprised if you can't receive or send PMs, either. And, if you do send a PM, copy it before you send it. Then check your 'Sent' box, as it may not have actually went out. My guess is that certain well-thought out posts that ask for feedback / comments are seen as having the makings of a potential virtual mass riot or community revolt - It is actually pretty silly, when you think about it.  These are just a few little tips, just in case you find them helpful. :>0

@Rebecca181  I made the post,  I confirmed it was there. I actually made a small edit to it, reposted and it all looked good. It had the option for people to like it and add their comments all intact. Under views, I saw 1 person viewing it and within a couple minutes, my thread was closed, so one could like it or respond to it, and the tag "reviews" was removed from it! 

I am attaching the screenshot of my originalpost, whichis now deliberately hidden by Airbnb moderators?

I am stumped. Really? Airbnb is actively clamping down requests and discussions in its host community? This is crazy.  It's one thing to not listen to community feedback and to not agree wiith the enhancements requested. Its totally another to actually clamp down on discussion in the community forum...!! 

my original post - idden.pngmy original post.png

@Swati3 I assure you, and I can confirm: Your post was definitely there. I must have been the one person reading it. When I went to thumbs up it, I couldn't. When I refreshed the page, I got the 'error' message (posted above). That's great you took a screenshot of your original post. Now people can still read it, albeit via using a high powered magnification instrument (but not thumbs up it or comment on it, of course). 

OR, alternatively: Maybe there is yet another 'bug' in the system, and many people will report that their posts are disappearing. You never know!

@Rebecca181, Interesting. I will try posting it one more time and send you the link. Lets see if it happens again.