Guests expecting amenities not in my listing

Heather149
Level 2
Seattle, WA

Guests expecting amenities not in my listing

Hi!  I am not a new host, but am back after a year plus long beak.  My first new booking is for a month long.  I made that available, and though I have since changed it, it is what is is and that's fine.  I was a bit concerned that these folks didn't know what they were signing up for for a month, but trusted that since I have everything spelled out very clearly it would all be fine.

This is a master suite (private bedroom and bathroom) in my house with no seperate or private access.  I do not list that it has access to any kitchen or laundry facilities.

My guests checked in last night and then immediately went to the grocery store and bought four bags full of groceries they wanted to store in my refrigerator, freezer and cupboards and prepare and eat during the month long stay.  They also informed me (not asked, mind you) that they would need to do laundery while they are there.  These are not things stated as being available in my listing.  I woke up this morning very frustrated and feeling as though I'm being taken advantage of.  There is a reason my listing is priced as it is and why I don't want people using my kitchen and laundry facilities.

I obviously need to have a conversation with them, but my question is what rights do I have?  If I allow them to use the kitchen and store and prep food there, am I allowed to charge them more for that and if so, how do I do that and how much could / should I charge?  Same with laundry.  Frankly, though it's unlikely, whether I tell them they can or can't - I am not there all the time so they could do it without me knowing anyway (especially laundry).

I understand their situation and want to be polite and helpful but also feel like they came in assuming things that are NOT part of what I am offering or that they signed up for.  Don't want to start a month long stay off on the wrong foot, but don't want to be annoyed for a month, either!  😞

7 Replies 7
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I do not offer kitchen access or do laundry, do people not read the listing, absolutley.

If you do not want to offer it just remind them of what they paid for.

Now I do not do long term bookings, I do not ban them but do not offer discounts which seems to work. You do offer discounts and I am not sure what your listing said when they booked but seems you do offer some limited kitchen access.

David
Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

hi @Heather149 what a predicament!   I think that you have sit down with the guests and go over how it will work for the next month. You can phrase it as a chance to get to know each and figure out how to make the stay harmonious.  At this point you can have your copy of the itinerary and remind them that they have booked a private room and bathroom, and limited access to common areas, and no laundry access.   Now, they've already made some assumptions and bought a pile of groceries, so you're kind of stuck and I myself would try and find a way to make it work within your boundaries.   If it was me I'd go to Home Depot and buy one of the mini fridges for their room and have it as a regular thing in the room that you can offer to all guests.   That way, you've shown them that you will compromise, but it won't burden you beyond the cost of a small fridge (about $150 I think).   I'd also say that you understand that they want to use the kitchen, but the rate they paid was based on access to only X, Y and Z and if they now want access to the kitchen, the rate has to increase.  You can do this easily through a change/alter process.   If they balk at increased payment, perhaps you can tell them that they can use the kitchen to prepare their meals on Saturday and Sunday, but you need the kitchen for your family throughout the week?  The tough part is that even though you indicated no kitchen access, it's a hard thing for someone to keep in the front of their mind when they are booking a long term stay.  They are figuring the logistics of their time with you, and just not realizing - oh crap, the listing never included a kitchen.   They are thinking 'of course we have a kitchen!   

I wish you good luck, but you must get in front of this or you'll have a terrible month!

Scott80
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

@Heather149 this statement: "guests are welcome to use the dining room and kitchen for light food prep (please, by request) if they so need." might be your undoing. 

There is a lot of wiggle room in that statement and makes it sound like you are open to guests using your kitchen. In your post here, you made it sound like kitchen use was non-negotiable. If that is undeed your wish, I would say that kitchen use is unavailable. But you might want to provide a small refrigerator in addition to the kettle in the guest room so guests can store snacks, drinks, etc.

Yeah, I realize this, but I also don't list kitchen (or appliances or wash and dryer) as checked in the amenities AND I specificallly say "by request" for the light kitchen use (my intent was essentially, microwave, cutting board for fruit, etc. - there is instant hot water, flatware dishes, coffee, tea, etc. in the room).  These folks bought eggs and such - things that need cooking utensils and pans, stove access, etc. - which requires much more time and training (and trust) in my kitchen than I am willing to provide.

I know my wording creates a potential loophole of sorts and I will address it, though still a tad flummoxed on how someone could assume full and unlimited kitchen usage based on my listing.

I also am planning on adding a microwave and mini fridge to the room at some point (and adjustments will be made to my listing accordingly), but it's never been touted as anything other than a simple private bed and bath up through now.  Pricing of other local listings would support a higher rate for unlimited kitchen access or private fridge, etc.

My plan is to speak with my guests tonight, show them the local comps with the amenities they are expecting, remind them of what my listing says and let them know that my price needs to adjust accordingly and lay out some ground rules.  I would like them to stay, but need to protect my personal boundaries since I live there.  There are other options for them if they would like to move somewhere more flexible.

I've seen folks list $5 charges per load of laundry - is that fair?  Seems to me that is about the going rate for a laundromat.  I would most likely require them to purchase their own soap.  In all honesty - again, I don't list this as somethign that's available, and am still leery about making all these exceptions.  Ugh.

Charging for and collecting payment off-platform for optional services is allowed AFAIK. Where it gets dicey is when guest just start using amenities without asking. Since your guests already have used the refrigerator without asking, I would not hold out hope that they would ask (or agree to pay for laundry) but it could not hurt to ask. 

In a way I am fortunate in my whole-place listing--what is there is included and what is not is not. There are optional things on-site but I am not affiliated with them so guests pay vendors directly for parking, computer use, laundry and fitness center use.

I would never bring in other locations, irrelevant, your listing stands on its own.

Sounds like you need to decide what you want to do, I have done kitchen and laundry but was burnt once too often. I may occasionally bend my own rule for odd situations, like cyclists, but would never say that on my listing.

Much easier to have hard rules and then be flexible only if you really feel the need.

David
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Heather149  In my opinion, the conversation you have with your guest needs to have one of two outcomes:

- They stay and get to use the kitchen and laundry (without extra charges)

- You let them know you listing isn't suited for them and give Airbnb a call to help re-home them.

Finagling extra payments after the fact, monitoring usage, etc. is just going to get old after a month and you're already resentful of this guest after 1 night.  In all honesty, this just doesnt sound like a good fit.  Bite the bullet and let the guest out of the reservation so you're both happy.

Let us know what you decide to do!