Guests expired credit card after an amendment to the booking

Guests expired credit card after an amendment to the booking

Hi there,

A guest booked some time ago for 4 guests, and put a valid credit card in at the time, then amended the booking a couple of days before hand to add an extra couple of guests.

Their credit card had expired and the extra payment wasnt able to be taken.

How does this work?  My understanding is that the first booking amount would have been collected at the time of the booking, but this hasnt been deposited into our account.

The second amount is dependent (presumably) on the guest updating their credit card details?  Or do they pay us direct?

Thanks in advance!

10 Replies 10
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Jamie20 Yes, the first booking charge was made at the time the reservation was confirmed. 

As for the alteration to the reservation with the now expired card, the guest has 24 hours to update their payment method.  The alteration won't go through until this happens. 

You are not supposed to accept cash, but you are entitled to be paid for the extra guests. Hopefully the guest will update their payment method soon.  If they don't get it resolved by the time they arrive, you can also use the Resolution Center to collect the extra guest fees, assuming that at some point they've  updated their new credit card. 

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Jamie20 Yes, the first booking charge was made at the time the reservation was confirmed. 

As for the alteration to the reservation with the now expired card, the guest has 24 hours to update their payment method.  The alteration won't go through until this happens. 

You are not supposed to accept cash, but you are entitled to be paid for the extra guests. Hopefully the guest will update their payment method soon.  If they don't get it resolved by the time they arrive, you can also use the Resolution Center to collect the extra guest fees, assuming that at some point they've  updated their new credit card. 

Alternatively, if the guest fails to pay for the extra guests, you can cancel the entire reservation (not sure you really want to do this) but I would contact Airbnb first to get their advice.  You don't want to be penalized for a cancelled reservation!

Melsi0
Level 1
Tirana, Albania

hi ,i have made a split payment with my credit card the first installment went ok,the second is due in june 6 but the card expires on april ,how can i work this thing out ?

regards 

@Melsi0 I'm sure this happens all the time.  When you get your new card when the old one expires, enter it in your Payment Methods.  Airbnb will notify you when your old card fails and will prompt your to select your new card.  

thanx Claire ,happy new year ,all the best 

Hi

I have placed a reservation in February  - 1st payment was deduced with my card. The second is not yet - planned for  end of july 2018.

The credit card has been changed with a new one - it is the SAME NUMBER but the DATE and CVV expired are changed. I have add in the payment method the new card and defined it as DEFAULT.

my question: does the second payment will be successfully next july ? or the system will look for the same card as for the 1st payment ?

Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Esther226 This happens quite frequently, actually.  When the second installment comes due, Airbnb will attempt to charge the original credit card.  You will receive a notice that the payment failed and you will be asked to indicate a new payment method: 

Payment Failed.jpeg

You will need to click on the "submit payment" link where you will then be guided to enter a new card number with the new expiration date and CVV number: 

Add New Card.jpeg

Even if you have added the new card number in your payment methods, Airbnb will not assume that is the card you want charged for this reservation, so this is the only way to pay for the second installment.  

This happened to me too and I saved the screen shots so others can see what happens when the original card info is no longer valid.  

I hope this helps!

Hi there,

When I made my host account in Air BnB, I gave my debit card.
The problem is that I made a mistake, because this card has already expired. (but then it was not)

Now I put my other card, but wrote that the main card is the one that expired...
Because the reservation was made on it.

My guests arrive at 17.06.2018. Please tell me what to do to get the payment on my new card.

Thank You!

My partner and I booked an Airbnb with his card we have now split up what happens if he cancels his card will the payment still be taken out 

Wei-Bel0
Level 1
Petaling Jaya, Malaysia

Hi

i just received an email from Airbnb saying that my upcoming booking has been cancelled as the 2nd payment to my booking has failed. How can I reinstate my booking?