Why do my Guests hang out all day and never leave?

Answered!

Why do my Guests hang out all day and never leave?

Hi all - I'm in the middle of my first hosting experience with Airbnb, and I'm trying to determine if this is weird behavior.  I accepted a booking from a father and son from overseas.  The son is going to be attending school in Santa Monica, and the father is here to live with him, I think.  The father does not speak English but the son is fluent, but I was corresponding with the father to take the booking.  They are booked for one month and school starts in the middle of that term.  When I originally took the booking, because it said they were moving out here, I thought they would probably be apartment hunting while they were here, since our home is pretty far from SM and, well, they need somewhere permanent to live.  They are renting out one room in our house that has an en suite bedroom.  When they arrived, we went through the house rules; they asked if they could watch TV sometimes in our sitting room, and I said sure, but there was nothing that struck me as alarming as we went through and I answered questions.  The first night they were here, the father asked if he could cook us a traditional dinner, which I thought was kind of a "thank you for having us" thing, so my husband and I accepted and had dinner with them.  

It has been four days, and they NEVER leave.   They lounge around the house all day, son on his computer in the dining area and dad laying on the couch on his computer.  I work from home, which was in the listing, and they interrupt me all day asking questions, asking for batteries, can they drink our soda, etc.  The father constantly tries to cook for us, even though I'm vegetarian and that doesn't seem to translate -- I know this is a nice gesture, but it's every meal.  He woke me up the other morning to offer me oatmeal at 8, and I had been up until 3:00 the night before working and was not pleased to be roused for that purpose.

They also tried to get us to go out with them on a trip to the beach, which we refused.  This was on a weekend day and I explained that both my husband and I work on the weekends.  They scoffed at this, but then didn't go to the beach themselves, just stayed in.  I have now largely sequestered myself to the "off limits area" (aka our bedroom and my office) to avoid these situations, but it doesn't stop them from disturbing me.

So my question is this: Is this normal?  I assumed (because this is how I would think of an Airbnb stay) that they would be renting a room from us, using the kitchen to cook their meals, but treating it kind of like a hotel.  We're not family and they are not our guests, they are renting a room.  Am I expecting too much to think that they would treat the home as such?  I'm trying to get an idea of if I want to do this in the future, or just sack the whole thing after they leave.  And is there any way to prevent this from happening for the remainder of the time that they are here?

1 Best Answer

Hey all - thanks for the responses.  After a couple weeks of problems, AirBNB ultimately suggested that the guests be removed and placed in another home, which we agreed to.  Getting them out was a nightmare, and they have left us a review suggesting that we asked them to leave so we could make more money (I'm not sure how that would even work since we lost money by having them leave), and a low star rating.  In light of everything that happened, I asked AirBNB to take down the review, but they won't.  This is the reply I have -- can I get some feedback please?

These guests had to be removed early as a result of lewd behavior and refusal to follow the house rules.  After calling AirBNB, they suggested removal of the guests from our house and said they would place them in a different home.  Guests do not have a current phone number or email on AirBNB site, so AirBNB had trouble reaching them when they needed to.  The guests had to be threatened with police intervention after becoming aggravated when asked to leave.  They constantly ventured into off limits areas of the house after repeatedly being asked not to, took our groceries, interrupted me while I was working, ruined a set of new sheets and new mattress pad with blood, were unsafe in the pool area;  these are just a few of the problems we had.  The house rules were continuously broken for two weeks.  We printed the house rules again and spoke to them about their behavior, which they acknowledged and apologized for. However, they subsequently continued to break the same rules again and again.  They asked my husband repeatedly to go with them to negotiate buying a car, after he refused and told them that he would not be comfortable doing so.  The final event which caused AirBNB to request that they vacate the property happened when the father came home incredibly intoxicated and behaving inappropriately, trying to get me to go in the pool with him and continuing to pester me after I refused.  My husband and I went out to dinner that evening, only to come home and find him, still intoxicated, walking around our house in his underwear.

View Best Answer in original post

36 Replies 36
Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

It seems that first time hosts always have this issue. I had that issue when I first started and it was the first and last time. I saw that someone wanted to book for a month and I saw the dollar amount and I was head over heels. Sadly, you don't realize until the guest arrives just how long a month is living with someone who never leaves the house. My guests were from France and I thought they would exploring the city and be out and about all day. No they used their room in my house as an office as they were web designers. They didn't talk much to me for some odd reason, but cooked 3 meals a day and were ALWAYS in my house.

After they left I limited the things my guests could use and also increased the rate per month. Some hosts like month long rentals and on occasion I do as well, but the guest needs to provide me details of why they are coming and what their intentions are. If the guests is very vauge about what they will be doing I dont approve the request and just move on. I usually make the same from booking 5-6 different 2 day reservations anyway so its not much of a lose to me.

If you want to avoid these types of guests in the future  lose the kitchen amenity and asks the guests how they plan to spend their time. Of course, they can say one thing and do another but not being able to cook in your house tends to be a breaking for a lot of people who intend on staying inside and being homebodies. If they couldn't cook they'd have to leave the house and actually enjoy the city. Id love to live in Cali for a month and drive around to different cities.

@Zacharias0 Yeah, I'd want to leave and drive around, too.  But as they are currently sitting in our (pretty dark) dining room, on their computers, I don't see that as being in the plan.  I appreciate the advice about longer bookings, and you hit the nail right on the head.  I was hesitant to ask too many questions because I didn't want to seem nosy, but in retrospect that was a stupid way to think of things.  I'll definitely be more careful in the future.

Obviously a lot of the guest behaviors outlined here are completely outrageous, but as a good guest I take umbrage at the notion that a host would feel entitled to tell me I can only be in a property a certain number of hours per day. That's absurd, these aren't pay-by-the hour rentals. If I rent a room and I want to stay in it all day, that's my prerogative.

Again, while the examples in this thread are of guests essentially taking over a host's home, there's a subtext here, and a vibe I've seen among some hosts that they don't really want strangers in their house, period, but need to do it for the money. And what that translates to is guests being made to feel unwelcome and like they're intruders.  One sees this frequently in ads for roommates - people specifying that they're only looking for a person who's not home a lot - i.e. someone who pays the same share of the housing costs that they do, but isn't entitled to be in it as much, so that they get more alone time. If a host asked me how much time I planned to spend in the room I paid for, I wouldn't book with them. Not because I actually planned to stay in, but because that's a crappy way to treat another human being.

Kurt107
Level 3
England, United Kingdom

Totally agree with @A106. It really is up to the guest how long they want to stay in the property as they have paid for it. Quite simple. As long as they check in and out within the times specified on the listing then it’s incredibly rude to make a guest feel unwanted in the space they paid for. 

Right on!

I think @Zacharias0 mentioned a lot of good points to know when you have long-term guests. Not everyone has the same idea for what is "normal" vs. "weird".

I host mostly long-term guests, exchange students, so I know they will be busy with school and making new friends. I am also not home a lot while Henry is actually working from (my) home. 

Not just for hosting but in general I feel overcommunicating is better than undercommunicating. That's why I have a very detailed description and extensive house rules. Of course there will be people who don't read them..... but people who have the potential to be a good fit with me WILL read my description and house rules.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I do not ban long stays, but I do not give a discount which is sort of the same thing.

Lose Smart Pricing which is not Smart.

I also second the Kitchen access, they would have to go out.

I have water to hand, pop etc sometimes I offer, sometimes I have beer on tap, now that is much less likely but happens.

David

Hey all - thanks for the responses.  After a couple weeks of problems, AirBNB ultimately suggested that the guests be removed and placed in another home, which we agreed to.  Getting them out was a nightmare, and they have left us a review suggesting that we asked them to leave so we could make more money (I'm not sure how that would even work since we lost money by having them leave), and a low star rating.  In light of everything that happened, I asked AirBNB to take down the review, but they won't.  This is the reply I have -- can I get some feedback please?

These guests had to be removed early as a result of lewd behavior and refusal to follow the house rules.  After calling AirBNB, they suggested removal of the guests from our house and said they would place them in a different home.  Guests do not have a current phone number or email on AirBNB site, so AirBNB had trouble reaching them when they needed to.  The guests had to be threatened with police intervention after becoming aggravated when asked to leave.  They constantly ventured into off limits areas of the house after repeatedly being asked not to, took our groceries, interrupted me while I was working, ruined a set of new sheets and new mattress pad with blood, were unsafe in the pool area;  these are just a few of the problems we had.  The house rules were continuously broken for two weeks.  We printed the house rules again and spoke to them about their behavior, which they acknowledged and apologized for. However, they subsequently continued to break the same rules again and again.  They asked my husband repeatedly to go with them to negotiate buying a car, after he refused and told them that he would not be comfortable doing so.  The final event which caused AirBNB to request that they vacate the property happened when the father came home incredibly intoxicated and behaving inappropriately, trying to get me to go in the pool with him and continuing to pester me after I refused.  My husband and I went out to dinner that evening, only to come home and find him, still intoxicated, walking around our house in his underwear.

I understand you enough, my boyfriend and I started our Airbnb and our first guest is here without work and she is at home all day and always asking about everything ... sometimes she asked us if there was sunlight outside. .. but only for my boyfriend, and at some point things got weird because she started to follow him, so if he was in the dining room, she would move there, if he was in the living room, she would move there or wherever she was, she moved there and also my boyfriend noticed that she started to flirt with him, which makes him feel uncomfortable because he told her that we had been in a serious relationship for a long time. The last time we showed affection in front of her, she felt uncomfortable and when my boyfriend left, she started asking me if we were in a relationship and for how long and she also asked me if I was an American citizen ... that was enough. After that, we called Airbnb and suggested that they have no further interaction with her, so that means that only with the application, so she should ask any questions through the application. So she is still here and, honestly, I only count the days so she leaves and I pray that I no longer have any guest like her. It’s a nightmare. 

Maria758
Level 9
Washington, DC

Hello Amy!

Welcome to the community!

We also offer private rooms and live in the home we offer on Airbnb. We have been Hosting since October 2016 and we think Airbnb is an excellent platform for travel and alternative lodging. It’s a great way to get that “local” experience and a wonderful way to share your home with like-minded “strangers,” at least when it comes to the sharing economy.

I'm actually rewriting this after I read you message above.  Wow!  I'm sorry you had such a bad experience!  If you don't mind, however, I would still like to provide some advice?

As for your question about your previous guests, “is this normal?” The short answer is, the longer you host, the more you will learn, that no two guests are going to be alike.  This horrible experience is few and far between.  Again, I am so sorry for your experience.

When we started, our very first guests only stayed an evening and, aside from asking for a little bit of peanut butter, they didn’t really ask for much – outside of what we were already offering. Our 2nd guest ended up staying with us for about two weeks and it was great, he was very kind and would be out during the day, so we had the house to ourselves during the day. He was also very generous, he didn’t cook too many meals in our home, but when he did, he offered and sometimes we declined and he understood.

Additionally, when we cooked, we also offered to share, if we had extra. This can be a little tricky at times because we didn’t always have extra to share. We tried to be kind and offer to give him suggestions on places to go, which he kindly took to accepting and there was never an issue.  Generally, as long as you are honest and communicate with your guests, things seem to work out just fine.

However, there have been instances where we had guests stay in our home for several evenings and very rarely leave the home. We have also had guests who have helped themselves to items in our refrigerator and/or cupboards, without asking.

For example,we had a guest help themselves to some expensive maple syrup without asking so, I offered him regular syrup instead. An alternative could have been inform him that the items in the fridge are not open to guests and that there is a store close by that they can purchase items they need.

We also have a “For Grabs” basket that is filled with items that previous guests have left behind that we save for future guests. I saw this at a hostel I stayed in and it goes over well with our guests. I know this is your first guests, so something great to consider for the future.

We also have a locked pantry we close at night, and when we leave, so that guests are not tempted to “help themselves” to the items within it. Unfortunately, it’s not as easy to put a lock on your fridge, but we do have a designated shelf, CLEARLY LABELED, reserved just for guests, as well as labeled baskets, for foods that don’t need refrigeration.  This system seems to work pretty well.

As for guests lounging around your home all day, you need make it clear on your listing what areas are “common areas” and which areas are off limits. Your listing needs to be clear and concise, but you also want to maintain a welcoming atmosphere, or you may get limited bookings. The beautiful thing about Airbnb is that you’re pretty much in control. For example, our listing offers "a tranquil environment where they can relax and enjoying our beautiful surroundings," so we expect that some guests are going to do just that.  

Additionally, we clearly indicate that the home is shared and that certain areas are open to them, and some are not. We also have signs posted in some areas that set as a reminder to some of the house rules; they are nicely written and decorative, so they don’t look too much like house rules, rather, part of the décor.

Finally, to ensure that we have a successful guest/host experience, we always try to greet our guests at the door. For some hosts, this may not be possible, however, like you, I do work from home and it’s an easy task for me to complete. When I greet our guests, I provide them with what I call a “Welcome Tour,” which provides them a tour of the house, pointing out common areas and mentioning some key house rules as I do it. I do this all before they even bring their belongings into our home. After the tour and giving them a little time to settle in, I send them a “Welcome Message” that reads,

“¡Bienvenedo! We hope you had no trouble settling in to your temporary "home" away from home. Please remember, no food and drink in the rooms and don't forget to lock the doors and turn off the lights behind you! Breakfast is available between 7:30 am to 9am. If you need something sooner, please let us know ahead of time so we can accommodate you. If there are any questions you have, or anything we failed to mention during our welcome tour, please feel free to ask. You can also refer back to our House Rules or Guidebook for further assistance. Finally, if there is something we can do to make your stay more enjoyable, please let us know! In the meantime, make yourselves at home and welcome to LOV! We hope you enjoy your stay.” To top it off, we have a framed Welcome Sign in each guest room and a little book which includes our “House Rules” and other information that guests’ might find useful. I have so much more I want to advise, but I definitely don’t want to bore you (haha), so I will end with this, you mentioned in your post that, “We're not family and they are not our guests, they are renting a room.”

rian Chesky, Airbnb CEO, stated during the Airbnb Open 2015 in Paris, Airbnb's mission is to help create a world where you can belong anywhere and where people can live a place, instead of just travelling to it.  Although it’s true, they are not family, and they are renting a room, they are your guests; they are paying guests and they are Airbnb guests. Grant it, that doesn't give them the right to be rude and disrespectful to your home, and those that dwell inside it.  

However, for future guests, you should also remember that, although we are offering OUR homes, we are offering it to guests, and our guests should be treated with compassion - always. You clearly care about your guests, otherwise I don’t think you would have posted this.

Don’t let these first guests discourage you from continuing to host. Add a few things to your listing, guest rooms and around your home, it will become easier. The more you host, the more you’ll learn from each experience as well. Don’t worry, you have an entire community who is willing to provide support, tips and ideas! So hang in there!

Yeah, yeah, yeah Izah, will the guests' review be taken down?

Oops oopsie, the host has left Airbnb by now!

Oh well, pink ribbons. They are nice. Life is nice, isn't it after all? Icecreams. Sun. Pink.

@Helen0

You'll probably never see this because I can't tag you (which kinda defeats the purpose of a chat-based forum), but anyway, your response to Maria's post just made my day. My favourite CC post ever! Rarely has such abject scorn and cynicism, been packaged so simply and so prettily. You have a gift, lady  :))

Maria's post, and your reaction to it, perfectly sums up, in a nutshell, the whole Airbnb Fantasy vs Airbnb Reality phenomenon though. Spot on 🙂

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

@Amy320

Looks like thr guests are Asian-looking Russian speakers, probably from former USSR republics. They have a very different lifestyle for sure. 

Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

@Amy320

Looks like thr guests are Asian-looking Russian speakers, probably from former USSR republics (Kazakhstan, etc.)? They do have a very different lifestyle for sure. They are usually very hospitable and do not keep boundaries between hosts and guests as Westerners do no matter it is a business deal or what. 

Steve2743
Level 10
Calgary, Canada

Strange, yes. Surprising, no.  I once had a woman come for vacation from Ireland (I'm in Canada), and she did nothing but stay in and watch tv during her whole 3 weeks, because she was afraid to drive on the wrong side of the road, and didn't want to take transit. 

She was a middle aged woman who had never been apart from her husband for more than a day, and didn't know how to make even the simplest decision on her own. To top it all off, she was originally from Nigeria (immigrated to Ireland), a very hot country, and was freezing the whole time, despite it being the middle of summer (I was taking cold showers to stay cool). I had to have the furnace cranked up in the middle of summer to keep her happy. Needless to say, a very high maintenance guest. Best of all, all my effort resulted in a 3 star review. I'm just thankful she was staying in the completely separate (except for the HVAC) basement suite, or it would have been much worse. 

Steve