Guests have a cancelled flight and arrive 2 days later - what can I expect as a host?

Sebastian1
Level 1
New York, New York, United States

Guests have a cancelled flight and arrive 2 days later - what can I expect as a host?

I wrote my oversees guests via iMessage 1 day prior to arrival. They read the message (read confirmation), but didn't reply. I sent another message the night before arrival via AirBnb and received an answer 3 hours later saying they missed a flight from somewhere else into their home airport. They say they rebooked their flights and will now arrive 2 days later (missing 2 days out of a 5 day reservation).

My question is what I can expect as a host. I have a 5 day moderate cancellation policy and their reason is not covered by extenuating circumstances in case we would be talking about a cancellation (i.e. they cancel the first 2 days of their trip).

Are they able to simply adjust their reservation and I will lose out on the income? I need general guidance about what most people would consider reasonable (or which procedures AirBnb actually has in place, I wasn't able to find anything in the help section).

Thank you!

1 Reply 1
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

Has the guest asked for a refund? If not, no problem.  Seems to me that you are not responsible for missed/delayed flights.  They should seek compensation from the Airline, not you.  Keep in mind your calendar has been blocked for the days they reserved and thus has prevented other prospective guests from reserving those 2 days.  Some hosts in this situation will offer a refund IF someone else books those dates.  You can read up on refunding here: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/165/how-do-i-refund-my-guest

The decision is entirely up to you.