Guests have become super high maintenance and extraordinary particular

Lisa540
Level 4
Arlington, VA

Guests have become super high maintenance and extraordinary particular

Hello,

I was a host several years ago and all my guests were friendly and nice and gave me great reviews. Then I took a two year break. Now I am hosting again and the space has been upgraded. Nicer furniture, ironed bed linens, lots of snacks, Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming. My recent guests have been much more high maintenance than the guests from two years ago, asking for toothpaste, special pillows, different chairs and so on. I have accomodated all requests. The guidebook is extensive and my response rate is 100%. And, above all, the space is large, immaculate and SO CHEAP. That said, guests this time around seem so demanding and dissatisfied and not particularly generous in their reviews. 

Anyone else having this experience? Hosting is hard work and our space is beautiful and so so so inexpensive in a super expensive location. I'm tempted to simply stop because I do not need the negativity.

I'd love to hear from anyone!

Lisa

115 Replies 115
Marilyn66
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Hi Lisa

I have an inexpensive price and with that I ask for a high cleaning fee and the more needy they are the less I refund and make that clear. In my posting, it is clicked "no laundry" and yet I get asked "where's the washing machine"   . it is unbelievable what is wanted for a cheap place.  I stayed one day at a cheap place and took my own bedding (sleeping bag) just in case and used it..

I promise to give a rebate if they are as promised.  I gave a discount ahead and the guy ate every meal inhis room and left the proof all behind.  No more discounts ahead.  Lots ask ahead on a cleaning fee discount as well and no way do I give ahead at all no matter what.

Kim86
Level 2
Santa Cruz, CA

I've been a host for nearly two years now and I agree with what youve said here. I purposefully keep my listing very low as I call it my air bnb karma, because I like to find cool places to stay when I travel and not pay an arm and a leg to do it. I always get good reviews  with the exception of one woman who complained about a layer of dust on my windowsill, but I am always surprised when the review is like, "Nice place to stay." I charge a hundred dollars a night for a lovely cottage less than a mile from the beach and boardwalk in Santa Cruz, Ca. The hotels nearby charge up to $350 per night in the summer! Maybe air bnb is spoiling consumers. I don't know, it is frustrating when you open your home to others for a very reasonable price and they don't seem to appreciate it more. it can be discouraging for sure, but i still enjoyit for many reasons. I guess you just have to pat yourself on the back and know you're offering a good service for a good price and hope your guests appreciate it by teling others and coming back to stay.

Hope this helped a little. 

Kim

keep

Tolu1
Level 1
Washington, DC

I would raise my prices, if the market supports it.

Martin301
Level 3
Indonesia

Yes, me too... Also they not honestly put reviews because of the high maintenance that they expect and pay inexpensive for my expensive Villa. I think from Airbnb team must have something term and condition for this. Really feel disadvantegeous for this. What you all think? Thank you:)

Hope11
Level 3
Salem, MA

lol I feel your pain! I charge 70 per night usually and provide a hot breakfast. I just had my first ugly guest ever who even accused me of being racist ( I may have given her huge tatooed pierced boyfriend a side eye when he walked in as I would any scary looking dude! But she crucified me! 

Brent1
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Occasionally I have noticed this where guests have said directly to me comments where it is so obvious that they are comparing my accommodation to hotel accommodation.  I have had to explain to some of these guests that if they can get the same standard of hotel accommodation that I am offering any cheaper, then I will reimburse the difference.  Needless to say, none of them have come back to me.

Don't worry, just keep on doing what you are doing well.  I'm sure your service is excellent and the majority of guests will, in time, show their appreciation.

If only they would have directed their thoughts my way before leaving. But I will take this very very difficult guest as a lesson.

she expected a tour of the cottage mmmm all 1000 sq feet of it lol! She was upset that I only directed them to their room and did not walk them 10 feet up. Sorry being snarky! funny last time I was in a 5 star hotel I didn't get walked to my room. So I guess I should have pointed to the bed, sleep here, pointed to the WC go to the bathroom here. Though they didn't bathe or brush teeth...I think they may have used the tiolet. So well they stayed for free. I was accused of being a racist because the girls 6'3" body building tattooed piercings in every place boyfriend made me pause for a flicker. And she complained I showed concerned about her managing the steps because she has a bum leg. never mind I could go on and on. This is my first unhappy guest and well she was beyond unhappy, just taking it hard. Thanks for the encouragment.

🙂

Alejandro75
Level 2
Long Beach, CA

I know you have over sixty responses and if this was already stated I apologize but don't provide too many amenities. Leave them with the basics provided at a hotel such as coffee, towels, and clean sheets. I would get rid of the premium tv and snacks. I've read stories of hosts providing breakfast and all the guest complained about was the lack of choices with the food. When you provide less you will receive less complaints.

Tony134
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

I believe this issue would be solved if Everyone could see All reviews.  You could then easily identify guests with unrealistic expectations, and they wouldn't be welcome into the sweet network of Truly Good Deals that is AirBnB.  There really shouldn't be a place here for people who won't even bother to read listings or about the service when they are brand new to it; they seem to be a headache to most hosts.  There are many new guests that 'get it.'  They are new to service, the look at listings and read up, they see what it's like.  Then there are all the ones mentioned in this long thread, which are exactly all that same guest:  the one with ridiculous expectations AND didn't do their part up front.

While I understand AirBnB wants to Scoop all the Guests, if you can easily identify the ones that will be trouble, why not just make the whole thing smoother for everyone?  I mean really, that or pay for a Whole Lot More Phone Customer Service.

I think honestly there are actually two things that would Vastly Improve both Guest and Host satisfaction in the long term:

When you're new to the service, say until you've gotten one or two reviews... you don't get to leave one.  Probably two.  Then everyone starts from a place of 'Oh I should be nice' for sure, and it' becomes the standard in the beginning to know you are the one being reviewed.

or 2.  Let everyone see all reviews.  Let hosts see the reviews guests leave for other hosts, stars included, and vice versa.  Nothing bad withers underneath the sunlight right?  Let people see how these guests treat hosts on the exit, which is just as important to everyone's sanity in the Long Run.

Barbara505
Level 2
Manchester Township, NJ

How do I get a hold of someone to talk to about airbnb? I have 2 accounts, and i forgot the password, it says they send it and I never get it. PLEASE help me

Stephanie222
Level 2
Birmingham, AL

I have only been hosting since January. 97% of my guests are great. The past month I have had 3 whiny, demanding guests who have left 4 stars over stupid stuff. The latest gave me 4 stars because the pillows were too soft. 

@Stephanie222, that is hilarious about the pillows 😉 And I thought I had it bad with guests complaining about anything related to the animals, when it's stated clearly in the ad what to expect there 😉

This weekend’s guest sent me her grocery list. I leave complimentary muffins, coffee, tea, and a bottle of wine. It’s getting harder to please people. 

What.....that seems kind of crazy. Is anything in your listing that implies concreige service?

I would reply with directions to the grocery store.