Guests ignore my check-in time and show up early

Answered!
Bert0
Level 2
Palm Springs, CA

Guests ignore my check-in time and show up early

When I send my guests the combination to the front door lock of my home, I include check-in and check out times - in bold. These times are continually ignored. Today, I had guests arriving (My posted check-in time is 4PM) - when I went over to the house at noon to put a garage door opener on the kitchen counter - they were already there. It may not seem like a big deal, but if you did this at a hotel, they would charge you. I feel like charging people who ignore my check-in times, but am not sure how to do that. 

Advice is appreciated.

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

45 Replies 45

That's ok 🙂  I hope that AirBnb puts a check in time search option so everybody can be happy ❤️

David3267
Level 10
Torquay, United Kingdom

We don't provide the code for check in until the morning of arrival. We always try to offer an earlier check in than our stated time of 4pm, likewise if we can we extend check out by an hour or  we try and do so (we notify the guests of this in the evening before when we check they've had a good stay etc. Personally I don't see it as an issue if it was a couple of hours. If they turn up early and the cleaning or maintenance is still being done then its an opportunity to meet them and explain. I think we've only had one late check out (after notified time) so far. most people seem grateful of a few extra hours and, who knows, it might lead to better reviews?

Louise342
Level 2
Paarl, South Africa

My check in time is between 2 and 5 pm.  I sent a message regarding check in time and was told 2 days ago that  they would be arriving "in the morning". I wrote back saying that check in is between 2 and 5 pm and only received a message this morning (date of check in) to say that they would be checking in at 10!

They arrived this morning at 8.20 and I am feeling extremely annoyed with them.

I am so tired of smiling sweetly at guests who are rude and am seriously considering just letting the place permanently.

Ugh! We have very clear check in instructions. Today, a guest started contacting us at 11:45am for an early check in (4pm posted check in). I responded immediately and told them that the cleaning service was hard at work and reinforced the 4pm check in time. The cleaning service then calls me and said that while they were cleaning the people just came in and asked THEM for an early check in once we had already reinforced the 4pm check in. I just don’t understand some people. I communicated clearly, responded promptly and still have someone behave in this way. Any advice? 

Don't know what you did, but as soon as you found out about the early check in and disregard of your message regarding the cleaning crew, you should send a message to track the poor rule compliance and communication of the guest.  I think you could send a message that requests the guests "help" you maintain the house rules so you can continue to offer a quality listing.  

Wait 2 weeks and then put that in your review.

Lola230
Level 2
Smyrna, GA

I don’t send the code until 5 minutes before check in time. Which for us is 3pm. If they want to sit in the driveway looking dumb, oh well. The code won’t work until 3, sooooooo.......

Haven’t had guests cross each other’s paths as of yet. I can imagine that being awkward. But if I did see a guest sitting in driveway way too early (via our cameras) I would simply call them and say that the housekeeping crew is still turning over the home and it would be best if they go grab lunch or a drink or something in the area until check in time (at which point I would suggest several local, nearby watering holes). I may even throw in a $10 drink on me voucher if it gets that serious. But we hope it won’t. Meh. 

@Lola230  I hope you are open to being flexible as far as when and how you give out the door code. Not everyone is a smart phone user who will be able to access a message with the door code. I would cancel a booking if a host told me they'd only send the door code 5 min. before check-in. However, I would also never arrive before stated check-in time and would assure a host that I wouldn't. But I'd want the door code at least 24 hours prior to arrival.

To each their own. I’ve never had the audacity to ask a hotel for my hotel key 24 hours before arrival. But hey... to each their own. My code is automated to go out at a specified time sooooooo...... 

Hey what door lock do you use? I agree doors open at check l-in time. Input the guests code on to early today and he just arrived 3 hours early. I have to do this manual. I want to automate and delete it

Julie6
Level 2
Massachusetts, United States

If you have a keypad lock, you simply let the guest know that you'll text the code to them at the check in time.  I send a text with the code at 2:55pm for a 3pm check in and that's it 🙂 works wonders.  I also let the guest know that checkout is promptly at 10am and the cleaners  can let themselves into the property at that time so they should best be prepared to depart.  Have not had an issue since I've done this!

My sentiments exactly. Please let @Sarah977 know this. She seems to think it’s unthinkable to not send a code 24 hours in advance. 

@Lola230  Reread my post. I didn't say that it was unthinkable not to provide the code 24 hours in advance. I can fully understand why some hosts find this a good way to handle check-in, especially if they've had guests arrive early in the past, assuming they can just check in.

I was saying that it might not be okay to do this with all guests and that a host should consider being flexible, depending on the circumstances. Personally, I don't like leaving things to the last minute, or to chance. What if a guest lost their phone, or it's out of juice and they haven't had anywhere to plug it in?. What if they're from an older generation that isn't that adept at using a smart phone and doesn't use texting? 

And you wouldn't need to ask a hotel for the key 24 hours before checking in because there would always be someone at the hotel to hand you the key when you arrive.

Amy38
Level 10
Nashville, TN

I try to  be flexible about these times....one of the things I hate most about hotels is the late checkin when you know some rooms are  ready to go.

I would think 9am check out is very early for people on vacation and 11 AM is a more standard hour and easier to impose.

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

This issue is nothing new. Turn the headache into a selling point. I started confirming times and if they wanted early check in then offer them options: either arrive at 4pm or pay a half day rate. Many guests know exactly what time they will be in your city. If they don't divulge the time then TELL them check in is at 4pm. I will admit after you've accepted the reservation it's as if their inbox is full and their  ability to respond quickly to any question is very difficult.

Good Luck!