Guests ignore my check-in time and show up early

Answered!
Bert0
Level 2
Palm Springs, CA

Guests ignore my check-in time and show up early

When I send my guests the combination to the front door lock of my home, I include check-in and check out times - in bold. These times are continually ignored. Today, I had guests arriving (My posted check-in time is 4PM) - when I went over to the house at noon to put a garage door opener on the kitchen counter - they were already there. It may not seem like a big deal, but if you did this at a hotel, they would charge you. I feel like charging people who ignore my check-in times, but am not sure how to do that. 

Advice is appreciated.

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

45 Replies 45
Luis-and-Tati0
Level 10
New York, NY

Hi @Bert0

We also have the same problem over and over...

My electronic lock has the option to schedule the guest code.. I don't use because if we have any problem with the internet this function will not work preventing the guest from enter the house at all...

Along with the check in/out times I write this:

" We reserve the right to retain the security deposit in total or partially in case of non observance of the house rules or damages."

I don't think I would ever charge penalties for early check-in unless they arrive way too early to the point of run onto the guests departing on the same day...

Joseph0
Level 5
San Francisco, CA

@Bert0

Hi Bert , 

Many Hosts have now started to charge a fee equal to a half days fee if a guest shows up early . 

They put this information in the listing description and in the House rules section .  Some guests 

arrive earlier then expected by mistake , but some also try to pull a fast one on you also , so please be aware of this . 

The best way to prevent this is to have the guest agree to the check in time when communicating with them during the reservation process .  I have had guests asking to arrive early or have shown up before I am able to flip the room . I simply explain to them that the check in time is at such and such and that the space needs to be refreshed and reset before they can be allowed on the property . 

All of my guests have understood this and have been very agreeable to the fact . It helps if there is a nearby place where you can direct the guests to if they should arrive early , such as a local coffee house or cafe . 

I hope this helps you a bit 

Joseph 

We started with AirBnb about 3 months ago and had around 12 bookings, at least half have arrived early, and left demanding voice and/or emails, if we have not been in. Yesterday's guests arrived at 11am (check in time is 5pm), just as the guests who should have checked out at 9am were driving out of the drive!!!!

Added to this around a third have left late, one couple weren't even awake at check out time, despite a very clear reminder to them the previous evening, resulting in me losing half a days pay......which cost me way exceeding the AirBnb fee.

We are thinking of just stopping letting this way. ....today in the middle of lunch with friends we started receiving texts and emails complaining that tonights guests could not get in 4 hours before check in time.  I have left my wife with the friends finishing lunch, got home 20 mins before check in time, it is now 20 mins after check in time and there is no sign of these guests.

I'm sick of smiling sweetly at these rude people, and treading on egg shells with worry about what they may write about us, it is not worth the money.

Adam

@Adam-and-Lynn0

Most people do not read the times you include on the Airbnb site.

I recommend when you send them the check-in details that you also remind them of the check-in time.

This is what we do.

I think you've been incredibly unlucky, @Adam-and-Lynn0. I have only had issues a handful of times in 200+ bookings. 

I don't allow self check in.  I always greet the guests myself.  I had one come early and wanted to check in at 1 PM instead of my stated 3PM and I told them no, the place wasn't ready even though it really was ready.  I've been very accomodating to guests and then had them leave 4 stars for something so I am no longer allowing guests to stretch my hospitality.  I would stop the option of self checkin if possible.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

It is important to reinforce all expectations regarding check in multiple times in your communications to the guest.  Assume that the guest either didn't read or didn't remember all the stuff you put in the description or house rules.  For those of you who do not greet your guests personally, there is a disadvantage.  Air BNB is structure to work best if you make it a very personal experience.  Help guests realize that Air BNB is not a cheap alternative to hotels but a more personal experience for their travels.  

Lj1
Level 1
Menlo Park, CA

Thanks for advice. Will give reminders. I told latest guest that could use lock box at 12 noon and she was there at 10:30am. So entitled! Fortunately it's only been a few guests.

Brittany56
Level 2
New York, United States

I just called AirBNB to ask this exact question-check in is 3 pm and this guest asked if they could check in at 9 am. The customer service guy Pablo told me that I could agree on an "early check in fee" with my guest and collect it in cash when the guest shows up. I can't believe that is the official policy on this matter, I feel a button for "needs early check in" or "needs late checkout" would be better, where AirBNB automatically charges their account an additional preset amount. 

I have let some guests arrive an hour or so earlier than my 4pm check in--when they're coming in from a long flight. Often they are business travelers and are gone most of the time while they're here, and then leave early on the morning of their departure. But I evaluate each one as I was taken advantage several times before I learned what I felt comfortable with. Thanks for discussion.

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

As a property owner, you must enforce your rules.

Do not provide entry until check-in time  by either withholding key or new code number until time.

It forces all to respect you and your rules - and they can't complain!

@Paul154  Why is this issue turned into an Air BNB issue?  I think many hosts are just reluctant to enforce their own rules/expectations.  If a guest asks for something outside the stated policy, the host should determine not only if it is possible but also is it desireable.  

My guest sat outside my front door with bags until I let them in... I didn't want to alarm neighbours so I just let him in but was pretty annoyed! Sat there from 9.45am for a 1pm check in !!

Hugh0
Level 10
Sydney, Australia

I’ve hosted over 1200 trips. It amazes me that people always ask for an early check-in but will not provide their checkout time so we know if we can offer the same to the next guests. 

I tell guests that when the apartment is ready for them I will send codes to a keysafe.