What should I do when Guests are inviting friends over?

Answered!
Shannon182
Level 2
Auckland, New Zealand

What should I do when Guests are inviting friends over?

I am having ongoing problems with guests inviting their friends over. Some have even shared keys and codes for entry with unbooked visitors and today we had a large wedding party get ready at our property while it was only booked for two! One of the bridesmaids returned and set off the security alarm, which caused a callout, and they're questioning whether they should have to pay for it.

My Airbnb is a 3 bedroom self check-in home with a "no parties" rule. We can see from our front door security camera when extra people show up but, when we contact the guests about it, they always deny they're having a party and say they're just having a few friends over.

Does Airbnb have a clear deifinition of "no parties"? Does Airbnb have any rules about sharing of keys or codes? Can I expect the guests to pay the security call-out fee since they allowed a friend to go into the property without the alarm code?

My biggest concern is that, every time a guest hosts unbooked people, we suffer mess and breakages and the guests deny responsibility. Our home is a good size but only has dining and lounge seating for 7 and I don't want large groups crowding my home or bothering my neighbours.

1 Best Answer

Hello All. Thank you for the information. I think the above discussion on friends of guests is ignoring a very crucial component and perspective. Insurance. To the best of my understanding, a guest and your property is contractually covered by airbnb insurance. Allowing "friend of guest" into the property would automatically invalidate the $1M insurance. In the unfortunate event of an accident at your facility, I strongly suspect it would be difficult for Airbnb to compensate you for any damage caused by a visiting friend of the guest; and you would be held squarely liable for any injuries that a friend of a guest suffers in your property. With such risks of legal liability, I think it would be advisable never to allow friends of guests to come over. They should meet outside the airbnb property. Thank you.

View Best Answer in original post

20 Replies 20
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Extra people means extra problems, @Shannon182. In my opinion, your guests have broken the rules of the reservation and you should be entitled to compensation - request the money using that option. Report to Airbnb.

As for the deposit - you can't collect it in cash - it's against the rules of Airbnb.

You might also state it clearly in your house rules - then it will help if Airbnb steps in.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Thanks. Yes, I would never ask for cash. We've always made any claims through Airbnb and it's usually been a smooth process. I suspect we'll have trouble with this one though.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Shannon182 look up some threads about extra guests here in the CC and you will find a variety of approaches that hosts have taken to this very common issue.

If you look at my real texas barn listing under the house rules, you will see how I've listed extra guests expectations there. Also, in my rental contract there is an entire FAQ page regarding the excuses I've been given for why extra guests aren't extra guests: they aren't staying, they aren't sleeping, that's just my cousin... No Parties doesn't really address what you want. Being specific about no unregistered guests on property seems to have better results.

Good luck with resolving with these particular guests, yes, they should pay the alarm fee.

Thanks Kelly, you're right, "no parties" doesn't cover it. I've added some specifics to my house rules limiting total people on the property at any time to 8 and no unregistered guests after 10pm. A bit more lax than yours but I'm comfortable with that. I love your mystery question - I've found most people don't read the rules and this gets around that. I'll definitely follow your lead there. Thanks!

Island3
Level 2
Florida, United States

@Kelly149  - the information you provided in your response was very helpful. Is there any way you can provide an example of the rental contract you provide to your guests? Thanks in advance!!

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

This is the sort of situation best addressed by you, based on what you want, and what your particular situation and logistics are. Forget Airbnb, little they can effectively do from afar, wherever they are. Set your rules and amicably enforce them, that simple. Good luck.

I agree with @Fred13, this is something you need to manage, AirBnB are a booking system.

David
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Shannon182Hello it is interesting to read how different hosts have different challenges. I agree with Fred you have to take care and as I read your listings I notice something. If you are serious and charge for each person after say 2 and increase price with each guest that it might help. Also, your listing reads to me like folks are on their own.  So if they assume that - WHY not have guests over. NO ONES watching....yippee. 

The liability factor would be what I would be concerned about when they are inviting guest and giving codes and all that. I would greet them or have someone greet and IMPRESS on them that the guest staying are the ONLY guest allowed.  Also make it very clear to protect you and them - you have rules.  Better to try and avoid stuff if at all possible. And since you say its been a struggle.....on going??? So YOU need to change something. 

Also, hope you are changing codes often since just anybody may have the code!!! Just my 3 cents worth. Happy Hosting.....hope you find a method that works for you to have REALLY happy hosting. Clara

Thanks Clara, yes, we change codes often as we're very security conscious and we charge per person after 4 guests. Problem is that, with the exception of one group, the additional guests don't ever sleep there so they argue they were "just having a few friends/family over". I've added to my house rules to address this. We can't have someone meet our guests as we live in a different town but we do declare that we have video surveilance. It sounds like we need to make that clearer. I see that aspect's been done well in Kelly's listing (comment above - sorry won't let me tag for some reason).

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

@Shannon182, if you have video surveillance outside, you need to divulge it. A rule “No unregistered guests” seems important in your case. The question is, do you want to exclude them completely or is it one of the sales arguments of your place, that a bride may have her brides maids with her? 

You could come up with a formula in the rules like

no extra guests ... we have video surveillance on our property, covering the entrances of the guest house.  All unanounced extra guests will be charged the full extra person fee. Please register your visitors in advance and exceptions for short visits between x and y pm may be granted.

Refine it, to limit the number of helpers and duration you would be fine with. 

I love the chalet 😉 

Some good wording there, thanks, I'll use that. We do divulge the surveillance - it's only at the Auckland property.

Sorry, I should have clarified our issue applies only to our Auckland property. We rarely ever have problems with the chalet, which is funny, as our rules and guest monitoring there are far more lax, the property value is a tenth of the Auckland one and we charge about the same per night! I think the difference is that the chalet attracts outdoorsy types there to ski, bike and hike.

The trouble with our Auckland place is that it's a nice full sized family home in a location that attracts guests in town to visit friends/family. I get the impression that people arrive to find it's a nice sunny place to host people and decide it's a better hang-out than the family members' homes. In the case of the wedding, the registered guest wasn't even in the wedding party but invited all of them over to get ready.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

My situation is different: I regularly have guests here for weddings, and they tend to go and visit other wedding guests and check out their accommodations. I once checked in a party of two only to find I was greeting around 20, as there was a bus dropping people off and everyone wanted to see my house briefly before moving on. It was a stream of guests so large they had to go out the back door just to fit everyone in. I really don't mind, I actually love it as I have not found it to be a problem, only a great advert as people get to see the house and will often book themselves in as a result.

Sometimes people will have others over for lunch or whatever, I don't mind that either. So there are different ways to see this issue, as a host. For having guests over I appreciate being asked and they often do ask. Parties are a no, having a party and having a couple of people over are different things. Maybe it's just the area I am in, everyone's situation will be different.

I feel much the same way in that I wouldn't mind people popping over to take a look or share a meal. Problem is that every single time, without exception, that guests have invited extra people it's actually involved drinking, kids running around and damage to my property. Nothing malicious but just the kind of thing that happens when no one's properly watching the kids and/or there are a lot of people there with no obligation to take care. Yesterday, with the wedding party, one of the kids went up my neighbours' driveway, grabbed three of their solar lights, broke one and left two on my driveway. The adults didn't even notice. So, sadly, I need to tighten my house rules right up to avoid this.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Shannon0, you are having terrible guests! It spoils it for the ones who do the right thing. I do say that I can't have small children at the house, as my insurance doesn't allow it. Since this is recurring, you will indeed need to protect yourself.