How should I handle Guests leaving house unlocked?

Answered!
Mike43
Level 3
United States

How should I handle Guests leaving house unlocked?

I'm concerned about a current guest who continually leaves the house unlocked when they leave. I've reminded them a number of times, but it doesn't seem to make a difference. 

I assume Airbnb wouldn't cover damage / theft as a result of this, and I'm pretty sure my insurance won't cover anything that's a result of a renter. I'm a little nervous to even ask them, as I've heard of them dropping people as soon as they find out the property is used for rental. 

Any advice, given that asking the renter, putting up reminder Post-it notes, etc, isn't helping? Mainly I'm concerned about theft as a result of their behaviour, and obviously it wouldn't be forced entry if the home is left unlocked, which could make a claim more difficult. 

1 Best Answer
Judalon0
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

@Mike you can install a door knob that stays locked; you can open from the inside without a key, but from the outside it requires a key. Go to your local Home depot or Lowes and they should be able to direct you to a new knob that will solve the problem. I only know this because when I bought my home I had these knobs and kept locking myself out! 

View Best Answer in original post

21 Replies 21
Wolf-Family0
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I'm having that same problem right now.  Also, they constantly leave the lights and everything running.  I went in to shut off the lights and discovered the entire room is a disaster, make up and products all over the bed, on the floor of the bathroom, on the carpet.  They are 2 young girls who don't speak english and are very sweet except for these things.  I continue to tell them and write them and communicate in their language.  They always apologize profusesly but the next day the same thing.  They came super early now are refusing to leave by the check out time.  I've never had this problem before.  I don't know how to terminate their stay.  

Garnet1
Level 2
Detroit, MI

I'm currently having this issue. She's here for three months. It's week two. And, the door has been left upon at least 6 times. I don't want to terminate her stay but I've left her 4 notes. This morning she apologized saying "sorry for leaving the door open I never do that". When I came home this evening the door was unlocked and the alarm was off. Does it make sense to start fining her a hefty fee? This is my home. I've left in the morning and the door was unlocked. That means it was open overnight while I was asleep. I'm not ok with this. Any suggestions?
Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

@Mike43 If you do a quick search on the Internet, you'll find solutions for automatic locks for sliding glass doors. Of course, there are also many solutions for regular doors as well. If it's really a big concern, take it out of the hands of the guests. Let the door lock itself.

I actually had this problem with this guest: [personal information hidden].

I was surprised that Airbnb did not deactivate or suspend his account for al of his bad behaviour. After a list of shady things that he did to try and get the price reduced, he did also leave my place unlocked instead of telling us when he was leaving to the keys could be passed. He ignored my messages of confirming what time he wanted his flexible check out to be.  He only wrote "left keys on the table" when he decided to leave the place completely unlocked.

I wouldn't have been able to change the lock in any way because I live in an apartment building that doesn't allow it. The building is in a busy part of downtown so it is not safe to leave the door unlocked and that wsa out of control of the hosts. 

I have reported a few things about him and Airbnb doesn't protect the hosts as much as I would hope such as removing him from the platform. That is why I posted his name so other guests can be aware and don't get their stuff stolen and their right violated 😞

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Sydney11,

Nice to meet you. 

I am sorry to hear you experienced this with your guest, I am glad to hear you haven't had to change the locks though. 

I hope you don't mind, for privacy reasons here in the Community Center we talk in more general terms and so I have had to remove the name of the person you are referring to, I have left all of your content.

If you have reported this to Airbnb, then please be rest assured that a specific team will look into this further. 

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

This to me is quite a serious problem. Okay, so some hosts leave their properties unlocked. I find that strange, but then I live in a big city where no one leaves their front doors unlocked.

My front door locks automatically when you close it but people used to leave it open all the time. I now really stress to them on check in that they must close it. Seems to have worked.

However, getting them to shut and lock the back doors before they leave seems to be a problem. I raelly make a point of this as well, but many guests still leave them open. Doesn't seem to matter how clearly I explain it to them.

I don't understand it at all. Surely they don't do this in their own homes.

@Mike43, I agree you need to put your foot down. Explain politely but firmly to the guest the seriousness of your request and why you cannot continute to put up with this risk. Tell them it's nothing personal, but for the reasons you just explained, you will have to terminate their stay if they don't start locking the door.

Ideally, you should make sure you back this up in writing on the Airbnb messaging system and if you think the guest is going to be unreasonable about it, it might be a good idea to alert Airbnb CS about it, explaining that the guest won't comply with this house rule and it's putting you and your home at risk. I think it totally depends on how sympathetic the CS you speak to is towards you, but I've had an experience with guests who wouldn't listen to me about following house rules and the CS rep called the guests and told them they had to or they would be asked to leave. After that, the guests took it seriously.

Bill148
Level 2
Pitts, PA

Hi Mike 

I am having this same problem lately. I to have a sign on the doors saying please lock doors and windows. Airbnb should add to the policy that guest are responsible for our homes as long as they are guest. I think that is only fair for AirBNB to protect there host. Can you iamage a guest setting your home up for a robbery becasue the guest are not responible for leave our homes open.

There is a  insurance company that I use to insure my home  even thought I have guest coming in and out.  Do they  cover theft if the doors are left open by guest,don"t know! But I will fine out Monday. I still do not want anyone walking into my home that  is not authorized. So, I am going to install exterior carmera system to monitor the enrty points to my home. So If anyone leaves a door open or unlock I will have a video record of who came in and out.

This seam's to be a big problem. 

God bless! Have wonderful week