Guests left a huge mess after checkout

Laszlo11
Level 2
Budapest, Hungary

Guests left a huge mess after checkout

My guests left an extreme mess after they checked out ( a day earlier than booked). Used baby pampers, and ladies toiletries around, food pieces everywhere, kitchen full of dirty dishes ( half an omlette is still in the sink) , etcetc so it is definitely more than a regular cleaning. 

Can I request extra money for the extra cleaning?

19 Replies 19
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Laszlo11 If you can back it up with an invoice for extra cleaning through your cleaning company. And even then, the guest would have to accept the extra charges, which is unlikely. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Or skip the frustrating chase for such a small nebulous amount AND learn from the experience by asking yourself - what was it about these 'aliens' that I missed when I accepted them?

Laszlo11
Level 2
Budapest, Hungary

So security deposit can not be used for covering the extra work? ( I’m only thinking about a fair price, not the whole amount) .

@Laszlo11

You can't just dip in to the security deposit as you see fit or 'fine' a guest because they were untidy and you got hacked off.

You can request them to pay extra but if they refuse airbnb can be introduced to act as judge and jury but you need to show you aren't plucking a figure from fresh air - it's all invoices and photographs.

Ok, I accept that. What would be the ultimate solution for that? House policies were clearly dismissed by them. I dont have any leverage to use? They just refuse to act how we agreed when they booked. That cause me extra time, effort and cost me extra money as well. What if they even write a bad review on top of everything as a revenge ? What can protect me as a host ?

@Laszlo11  No. Nothing protects you from a bad guest revenge review. And the only recourse for rule breaking guests is to end their stay early and/or review them poorly. There is not a “fine” system for rules infractions. You may attempt to get abb to agree to reimburse you for the excessive cleaning from this guest. 50/50 chances that they will do so. Please first read very carefully how the resolution center claim process works. Errors are not tolerated with that system. Good luck & please come back to tell us what happens. At a minimum please Thumbs Down review this guest. 

I just had my first HUGE MESS guest leave my house in a disgusting way.  I have written an honest review.  But it won't get posted unless this guest gives me a review!  Is that correct?  I can't force her to write a review.  I've already sent her two messages and asked her to review her stay but she doesn't respond.  Except to book the place, she wouldn't communicate while she was here, either.  I seriously doubt she will take the time to write a review.  My question:  HOW can I warn OTHER HOSTS about this guest?

@Eve170   On the page of the email prompting you to write a review were clear instructions about how the review process works.  Also, you can look up reviews in the articles in the Help Center.  I make this remark because when you are new, it can be overwhelming, right?

Calm down.  Reviews are published in 14 days if there is only one side reviewing or sooner when both sides write the review.  Since this is all new to you, perhaps you would like the host community to review your review and provide feedback.  You can edit your review until either the guest posts or 14 days which ever comes first.  Just a thought.

Hi Eve,
In two weeks' time, your review will appear on the GUEST's profile automatically.

Susie5
Level 10
Boston, MA

@Laszlo11, what rotten luck! If you have photos of the diapers and the mess in the kitchen, keep them for justification of your bad review! Please give them a bad review! 

Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Laszlo11,

As others here have advised, you must back up any claim with photos and invoices.

Any claim on the security deposit must be made within 14 days of the guest's checkout or before the next guest checks in, whichever is sooner.

The articles below describe the procedure.

how-does-airbnb-handle-security-deposits?

what-do-i-do-if-my-guest-breaks-something-in-my-place?

Steve.

Thank you Steve!

I will consider to charge a few extra hours for cleaning, nothing major, just a fair price for the extra hassle.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Looking at your listing, @Laszlo11, it is ironic that your house rule is to treat the space like they would their own home.  Apparently they did.  You made it to Super Host because you obviously offer good value and hosting.  Now you know that there are guests that are not like you or like most of the guests using Air BNB.  

Your next move is to give a thumbs down review so these people will not be able to use Instant Book if the host requires no negative reviews.  This is your primary leverage with disrespectful guests.

I am not sure adding to your rules would help, but if you plan to charge extra messy guests, you would need to state that in your listing up front.  Have a rule about how to leave the space at check out and if not left that way, an additional fee of XX amount will be assessed.  That acts as a way of making a point but in all reality, you will not be able to get it. 

Laszlo11
Level 2
Budapest, Hungary

Update : 

After Airbnb was involved, they decided the case in my favor. I only charged 35 dollar as extra cleaning fee, It was very low, but I can tell, that the deposit system works at least.

I was afraid to give them bad review, since I am afraid they will write something bad as a revenge...

So I did not review them at all, neither did they do it. 

Case closed.