Guests left a huge mess after checkout

Laszlo11
Level 2
Budapest, Hungary

Guests left a huge mess after checkout

My guests left an extreme mess after they checked out ( a day earlier than booked). Used baby pampers, and ladies toiletries around, food pieces everywhere, kitchen full of dirty dishes ( half an omlette is still in the sink) , etcetc so it is definitely more than a regular cleaning. 

Can I request extra money for the extra cleaning?

19 Replies 19

In your description state thes you will charge an additional cleaning fee if the place is left in a bad state.

@Laszlo11  I am glad the Air BNB system worked in your favor.  I am sorry that you did not want to write a review,however.  Now this guest can inflict the bad behavior on another host.  I think you might not understand how the review process works.  At no time do either the host or guest see the review until both reviews are post at the same time.  If only one posts a review, then that review is posted in 14 days.  Please help the host community with honest reviews.

Hi Linda

That is the thing : They did not write review. Airbnb notifies once to write review after checkout. I make my claim, and I guess they are not happy about it, since it eventually costs money out of their pocket. If i did write a review, they would have gotten another reminder to write a review of me... In case they want to take a revenge, they can lie anything what they want, and I wont be able to take that review off of my page.

This is the catch 22. I would be happy to write honest reviews, but I am not motivated, since it could put me into the position when my interest can be hurt and I cant do anything against...

You have to send a message to the guest to start the claim process so that you are claiming damages is known by the guest.  If the guest wants to retaliate, then they will write a negative review and you would have lost a chance to publish your host review.  Of course if there is a retaliatory review, it could meet the Air BNB Content Policy for removal.  You also can always write a short professional response to the review pointing out that the damage claim arose out of their actions.

I agree you have to protect your business, but hopefully you can also add to the host community without endangering your interests.

you claimed the cleaning fee from them, but sometimes you concern they may come back to damage your house.