Guests left bad review because they didn't read the listing descriptions

Jeff512
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

Guests left bad review because they didn't read the listing descriptions

Hi Everyone, 

I have a guest who recently stayed in my apartment. The apartment however doesn't come with Airconditioning and was 5-7 min walk to the nearest station. 

She reviewed saying there's no Airconditioning and the apartment is NOT close to train station. 

I am a little upset because in the listing amenities Aircon was not ticked, and I didn mention it is a 5-7 min walk, is that not close enough to the station?

I am wondering if I have any chance to get this comment removed, if not how I can prevent such misunderstanding in the future. 

7 Replies 7
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jeff512

Hi there - first of all you have a few reviews that make suggestions as to some small improvements and you have not responded to these. The first rule is if a guest suggests something in public feedback that you respond, at least saying 'thank you - glad you enjoyed your feedback - hadnt thought about an additional trash can, but will fix that"

Second: I can't see the specific review you talk about, but in some cases when you have responded you could have chosen your words better. Overall you have good reviews and it's worthwhile holding back before writing a public reply to a guests comments.

Regarding this review (although I haven't seen it) I would suggest something along the following: Thank you very much for staying. As per the property description it does not have a/c and I do feel that a 5-7 minute walk to the station is very convenient, without having trains run close to the property and make unwanted noise.

Remember she has just made one factual comment (no A/C) and one subjective one as to whether or not the station is close by. Just move on is my view - but remember to reply to all comments (good and not so good)

Good luck

Hi Guys, 

I thank you for your suggestions. I will use my words carefully and open to critics when writing public feedbacks. I guess as a host you have to make your guests feel they're always right, even though sometimes they're wrong.  

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Hi @Jeff512 I just wanted to check - are you referring to your listing called "2 Bd apartment close to Airport Station and CBD" ?

I just wondered if the title is the thing that confused the guests about the location.  The part of the description where you say it's a 5 - 7 minute walk is in the "expand to read more" section, so if you are going to use it as a prominent feature of the title then it might be a good idea to clarify this in the main section of the description, instead of putting it lower down.  You've set an expectation with your title, then hidden the clarity like small print...

In terms of air conditioning, I notice that you have added this into the description and the "other things to note" section.  I think that's all you can do to make it clear, to be honest.

Is this the review you are worried about?

這間房子離兩個車站走路都需要5-10分鐘! 廁所會發出怪聲!不要嚇到 房子夕照很嚴重 會很熱 很悶,而且房子內沒有空調,沒有電扇。

Google translate tells me it says:

"It takes 5-10 minutes for the house to walk from both stations! The toilet will make a strange noise! ​​Don't be scared. The house is very sunny. It will be very hot and stuffy, and there is no air conditioner in the house, no fan."

They aren't actually complaining about the lack of air conditioning in a way that disputes your amenities.  As in, they aren't saying "they said there was air conditioning and there wasn't" they are saying they think it's "hot and stuffy" without it.  Guests are entitled to their opinion of the lack of air conditioning, so I don't think it's quite right to ask for this to be removed.

Hi Ben,

Yes this is the review I'm worried about. In the title I did mention close to station, which in my opinion isn't wrong because I believe 5-7 min walk is actually pretty close. I will however make it more clear in the main description, do you think I should mention no Aircon in the main description as well?

Yeah I get what they're saying, it was actually how they felt without Aircon in the apartment. 

Thanks a lot

@Jeff512

Two years ago I had guests from Australia who mentioned in their review that I had only fans (two at that time) but they did not help because it was too hot. I did not have even fans in my description, so you might think that they were provided with something  more than was into the listing! I think you better buy fans at least, in Australia weather is much hotter than in our country. And I think you have to look what this noise from the toilet is, to get rid of it.

There are many new hosts who think that they are entiteled to receive excellent reviews once they provide everything what is in the description...  From my experience - no, this is not so, you have to improve what you offer all the time, this is the only way for good reviews. My reply to the Australian guests was that I will buy AC because all desires to my guests have to be met. So I bought two AC.

Hi Lily, 

Thank you for your reply. I have provided the fans after they left however if they had ask me to provide fans during their stay I would have done it straight away. So basically you're saying all guests' demands have to be met, but what if it is just not financially feasible to do so? 

Darren99
Level 2
Clinton, MD

There is no way to have the comment removed. You can address it under the comment section. I would apologize to the guest for the mix up and explained that the listing notated no air conditioner. However, if an air condition is required do to heat. I would make guests aware before booking.