Guests left saying house damp

Answered!
Majella4
Level 2
Goresbridge, Ireland

Guests left saying house damp

Guests came to house on 20th Sept, we didn't have guests for over a month, due to Civid developments etc. in our country.

They appeared a lovely couple, weather had been very good, and house was clean, aired etc. I informed them if any issues I was only adjacent to the house and I will try and sort their queries.They arrived 2 hours before check in, this was not an  issue for us. The gentleman was out in the garden under the sun, which appeared to be normal.

That evening, they were driving in and our of our gateway, ( again normal, as most young people head out and get takeaway and return to house),  then we noticed they backed car up to the door, and left, we then noticed keys left in door, didn't know if they had left or not. Then received message about an hour later to say they had left and house was damp and it stank, which we were not happy to hear and that they headed to a hotel.

I messaged back to say sorry to hear this, that the house was not damp, possible cleaning agent smell,  but that I couldn't get any smell and said  to come to me if any issues and that I would try and rectify ( this is said to all guests), and that I would have offered our other house to them. He wrote back a few hours later, acknowledging the house was not damp or any cleaning agent smell and that he didn't away to bother me with it.

I wrote to Airbnb help desk, during this time, before getting last message from guest, messaged back that they would get in touch shortly. Waited by computer as received no update. Sunday, I tried Airbnb help desk, again the same message, that an expert would contact me back. By the following Thursday,  5 days later, I phoned them, again the lady said, that she could see this was  been dealt with and that she would  add not to my issue for an expert to contact back urgently, still no one rang or contacted my.

Today I wrote again, and again, informed I will be contacted soon. Now my guest as written a review, I am worried that it may be quite negative, as I was not given a chance to rectify issue with guest, and any guidelines from Airbnb. We are quite upset about this.

1 Best Answer
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Majella4  sorry this happened. Reminds me of a recent Irish host whose guests did the same sort of thing citing spiders in her cottage. I wonder if there are some scammers afoot?

All you can do if they leave a poor review is respond factually and even-handedly. "Guest checked in and left that evening. They alerted us to dampness in the house saying they were headed to a hotel. We were puzzled but offered to meet with the guest to rectify any issues. Guest then said that the house was not damp, but apparently did not want to stay further as we heard nothing after this communication. We strive to make all of our guests happy, but unfortunately sometimes we have a guest who is not a fit. "

View Best Answer in original post

18 Replies 18
Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Majella4  sorry this happened. Reminds me of a recent Irish host whose guests did the same sort of thing citing spiders in her cottage. I wonder if there are some scammers afoot?

All you can do if they leave a poor review is respond factually and even-handedly. "Guest checked in and left that evening. They alerted us to dampness in the house saying they were headed to a hotel. We were puzzled but offered to meet with the guest to rectify any issues. Guest then said that the house was not damp, but apparently did not want to stay further as we heard nothing after this communication. We strive to make all of our guests happy, but unfortunately sometimes we have a guest who is not a fit. "

Thank  you for prompt answer. Guests left the house without  communicating with us face to face, only after some time after leaving left  Airbnb message. I didn't offer refund or they didn't request this also. They stayed in house for about 5 hours and had used the facilities.  Are airbnb that slow to respond at this time, normally they are very prompt. I will try and leave a neutral review, and then respond if negative with your suggested wording. Thank you.

@Majella4  Yes, Airbnb CS response time (and quality of responses) has deteriorated significantly. Please do leave a factual review so future hosts are aware of what they may be in for with this guest. 

Thank you.  These comments have reassured me. 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Majella4  This is upsetting for sure. The thing is, you've received your payout and carry on. Don't fret over the review as you have no control over what the guest has said. You can only respond accordingly. But keep in mind that your response will be read by future guests. They are your intended audience, so be mindful of that in your wording. 

Re: "He wrote back a few hours later, acknowledging the house was not damp or any cleaning agent smell and that he didn't away to bother me with it." This is important and hopefully this message was sent via the Airbnb platform. If the guest comes back later and demands a refund, you need to make sure Airbnb sees that he retracted his complaint about the damp. This is your weapon against the guest getting a refund. Airbnb CS agents are notorious about simply siding with guests and not really digging in and dealing with an issue appropriately and fairly for the host.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Majella4  just checked out your listings-- my husband is begging me to consider buying a place in Ireland and he would go crazy over yours. Lovely! You have great feedback and lots of happy guests. Don't let this outlier upset you. 

Michelle1648
Level 4
Nova Scotia, Canada

Please leave a factual review so the rest of us can steer clear.  We as hosts have to be honest so other hosts don't end up with the same issue.  If a host has left a negative review, those guests are declined.  I am sorry you dealt with this, its just plain rude. 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Is it just me, or did anyone else read this title as guest left a dump in the house??

My oh my, time for glasses. 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Laura2592 

No.........  - it must be you!

@Majella4  Isn't the WHOLE of Ireland rather damp??? - It always has been when I've been there!

September.... damp in the air..... heating not been on since end of winter..... I always run my dehumidifier at this time of year, Cumbria & Ireland having a similar climate!

Ah @Helen350  I clearly have some issues! LOL. Must. Take. Vacation....

@Laura2592 go right now and pour yourself a nice big glass of red. Put your feet up 🙃

@Majella4  I have the same problem. A couple booked two weeks with me and after their booking I asked them if they needed anything before their arrival. No response. 24 hours before their arrival I asked again. No response. I did my usual cleaning. 3 hours after check in I received I call from the husband saying that the house had a fragrance and that his wife couldn’t stand it because she’s really sensitive to any fragrance . He said that his wife has asthma. At this point I was thinking why didn’t you disclose that before your arrival. I politely offer to go remove the infusers that were causing the fragrance and re clean everything. He said ok and that they were going to spend the night at a hotel. I also offer to refund the night, he didn’t really care about the refund. As soon as they left I took care of the fragrance. Next morning I called him to let them know that I removed the infusers and the house was re clean, he said that the house smelled “significantly better” I felt better after hearing this. Not even 20 min later I received a message saying that I was not communicating and that they left the house 🤦🏽‍♀️.  I was so confused so I called him again, he said that they were leaving and I could hear his wife yelling in the background “there is no way I’m staying in that place” I apologize to him for the inconvenience and tried to understand what happen but he just said that their were leaving. I don’t know what to do? I contacted Airbnb and they said that their is no request from his part so I’m more confuse. All this for an infuser. I don’t even care if a need to give him his money back my only concern is he leaving a bad review I’m new to Airbnb and this could affect my listing tremendously. Any advice? 

Anna9170
Level 10
Lloret de Mar, Spain

@Erika704  If the guest does not ask for a refund - fine, all the same we do business, not just talk.
Be careful with diffusers, they can make such a cheap and disgusting smell, as in the toilet of the mall...
A bad guest can leave a bad review even if everything was perfect.
Just improve everything you can and be with strong nerves!

@Anna9170 Thank you for your kind words and advice, so much needed right now