Guests locked themselves out

Teresa1601
Level 1
San Diego, CA

Guests locked themselves out

I have a self check in process for my air bnb. I have a code pad to make things simple. My current guests had locked themselves out of the house and couldn’t get a hold of me for about an hour. I was sleeping and didn’t hear my phone because I work super early in the morning. How do I make up for this? I feel so bad, I’ve never had this happen before. I was able to help them when I finally heard my phone, but I still feel like that put a damper on their visit and they are paying good money for this place. 

10 Replies 10
Dewayne10
Level 3
Tucson, AZ

How did they lock themselves out if it’s a keypad? Did you accidentally forget to activate their code? Did they forget the code? If they forgot it why didn’t they check their messages?

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Teresa1601 It's hard to understand how they got locked out it you have self-check in and it's a key pad? 

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Teresa1601 I think that anyone who locks themselves out should admit a certain degree of personal responsibility. I also don't think that a one hour response time is unreasonable at all. I would say that an apology is perfectly reasonable compensation under the circumstances. They made a mistake: you fixed it, and your response time was fine, I think. 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Teresa1601 I have had guests lock themselves out with a keypad. Some people just automatically turn the door lock on the knob and then the keypad doesn't work. My older guests tend to be the main culprits of this. I have taped the knob lock and leave instructions in multiple places asking guests not to do this. I also hide a key on the property after having to do a few rescues.  Some people are super uncomfortable with even basic technology (we sometimes get feedback that guests can't figure out Netflix on the smart tv when its literally a big red button on the remote.)

In this case I would just say "I am so sorry I was not able to unlock your door right away. I have hidden a key for you to use in the event that you would prefer to secure the space with that instead. (Give location.) My mate/cohost/neighbor/friend/child is also standing by if you have difficulty contacting me during the remainder of your stay. Here is the number. Let me know if there is anything else you need."

I ALWAYS leave a note with 2 phone numbers for guests to call during emergencies when they check in. Sometimes I am not able to get to the phone immediately either, so it helps to have a back up. 

If it helps I am at least 30 mins from my cottage (more like 45 once I stop what I am doing and get ready to head over) so one hour response is totally reasonable. Guests are expected to be able to get themselves in and out of your accommodation after check in. But it never hurts to have a back up plan or two. 

I had a young couple who couldn't get in to my inner door with the key available. They called but I was asleep.  1:00 a.m. They could have knocked on my back door where I was but they didn't.  The next morning they showed up and over and over I tried the key for them, and it worked every single time.  They told me they went and stayed at a motel.  I appologized profusely and refunded them $50.   But not had any problems with anyone since. Now I question what the real story may have been. But I will tape the big door lock open, so it won't happen again. thanks for that tip.

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Teresa1601 Change your lock system so this can’t happen. Otherwise, you’ll be dealing with this problem again and again. 

Tony-And-Una0
Level 10
Belfast, United Kingdom

Hi

I am not sure how it works for key pads. Can they be overriden with a key?

We use a key lockbox system. In the end we put in a second  lockbox hidden away with a spare key.

It's worked a treat so far.

Hope this helps

Tony 

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Some guests are more special than others...

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

This should literally NEVER happen. Have the lockbox code be the first 4 digits of their phone number. In case the lockbox somehow isn't working or they can't figure out how to use it, also have a hidden key. Tell them the location in advance.

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Just happened to us AGAIN yesterday. 

Older couple. They got in once no problem. Then called when they tried to get in again and couldn't figure out the keypad.  Sigh. They are "more comfortable" using a hidden key. 

Some people are really technologically challenged. Best to have options.