Guests lying

Lu111
Level 2
Exeter, United Kingdom

Guests lying

Okay so i had a guest check in on Friday at 9pm... i thoroughly

checked the property... even rearranged the cutlery drawer so it was knives, forks and spoons as that’s how ocd I am...

sunday 3 days later the guests say they want a refund and send photos of vegetables on the floor which I KNOW were NOT there when they checked in

they are asking for a partial refund... to me this smacks of trying to get money off a stay and have simply staged the photos...

anyone else had similar... 

5 Replies 5
Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

The guest should have complained within 24 hours for issues which occur at check-in: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/248/if-something-is-wrong-at-checkin?locale=en

It's not your responsibility what happens during their stay, I guess.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

This has never happened to us, but we've had our share of lying guests. 

If it did happen, I'd be more inclined to turn the table and kindly suggest they are breaking Airbnb rules, and need to clean up their mess before checking out, or I'll be obliged to "report" them to Airbnb and collect an additional cleaning fee. Maybe even pull an Airbnb and send them a link to some vaguely related rule. 

Of course, none of that is enforceable, but if the guest is stupid enough to try this nonsense, then they're probably not smart enough to know they won't get in any trouble for making the mess in the first place. 

You're going to get a retaliatory review anyway. Maybe they'll reconsider the wisdom of their petty selfishness. 

Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Lu111 These people are absolutely scamming for a discount or a free stay. If they go to Airbnb customer circus they are likely to get one, hapless as the reps are. How long is the stay supposed to be? I would try to get them out ASAP. You need to read the guest refund policy and consider your next moves carefully. Going forward, take a detailed video walk through before every new check in. 

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Stories like this are why I shoot video (including with me announcing the date on camera) of the place before each guest.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Lu111,

@Pete69  is absolutely correct.  A picture is worth a thousand words.