We have a new host in the UK, Ireland, France and Italy with 21,000 properties, cottages.com now advertise on airbnb, and airbnb do not charge a service fee to the guest on these bookings.
We have no way of knowing if its included in the nightly rate, cottages.com could be on a paid subscription or getting a big percentage discount.
[Link hidden] and just to wind me up a bit more, they are all on superstrict 60 policy.
My local host is Mandy with 100 properties to look after
*[Link removed for privacy reasons out of respect for the host – inline with the Community Center Guidelines]
@Melanie818 You say you received this as a email on Sept. 2nd. I received no such email, and I wonder how many hosts did. They haven't even posted this in the Airbnb Updates and this major change, which will affect all hosts except the corporate ones who are already opting to pay all the fees, is only a month and a half away.
And while it says it won't affect existing bookings, what it means is that hosts will need to all change their pricing on Oct.31 or get caught out on a booking that may come in on Nov. 1st. And if we change it earlier than that, it won't work for guests who book before Nov. 1st.
I can just foresee it- all hosts (except the tens of thousands who were never informed of this) trying to change their nightly price on Oct.31st with the site subsequently crashing from user overload.
And what's going to happen now when a guest cancels past their 48 hour window to receive all their booking fees back? The host gets docked 15%, even when they don't get the nightly booking payment???
Tried to compare her listing with yours, is it your place she has listed? Not sure I get it, this is confusing.
If the fee is to drop to 15% or so I would welcome this, as I pay about 23% at the moment. Never mind if it was baked in. Obviously is better with greater transparency for guests to see it separate.
@Sarah977, the service fee added is approx 20% for me, this varies from place to place. 3% approx is taken from me, so the total on top of what I get is 23%. So if the total will be only 15% flat and then I pay Airbnb that, guests will pay substantially less and I will get the same.
@Sandra126 I still don't get what you're saying- with this trial you would have to pay the 20% service fee that your guests are currently paying. So you would be paying out 15% of your base price. Meaning you would be getting much less $ unless you raised your base price.
Yes, @Sarah977, that's right. But the end price would still be less than what guests are currently paying, if it was a flat rate of 15%. Obviously I would have to increase the price to include the 15%.
Looks like I'm 3 days late, although I'm not convinced they're the same thing.
Rex posted this on Friday and I missed it.
I believe there are two separate things going on.
Airbnb has let larger airbnb management /property companies have more advantage terms than individual hosts for some time.
There is also a trial in some areas where hosts can choose to pay some/all of a guests fee.
Since this is what you 'believe....', it seems you were a bit too quick to previously question me: 'What is there to clarify?'
If you read my reply to you @Alon1 what I actually said was
"I can understand you wanting more information about this, but seemed a strange way to try and get it by contacting an Airbnb property company not involved in the forum".
So my query to you was why ask a airbnb property company not involved in this forum to comment when there were lots of experienced hosts here who can provide input, which as you can see from subsequent postings has indeed proved to be the case.