Guests not leaving reviews.....

Jeremy100
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Guests not leaving reviews.....

So have I got this right?

I leave a review for a guest and for what ever reason the host does not leave a review of their stay.

I need to maintain 50% review rate but I have left a review!

What about the host that didn’t ?

14 Replies 14
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Jeremy100,

Your question seems to be a bit mixed up.

"I leave a review for a guest and for what ever reason the host does not leave a review of their stay".

Do you mean

"I leave a review for a guest and for what ever reason the GUEST does not leave a review of their stay" ?

If yes, then that is a issue for hosts. It doesn't matter to a host's statistics if he or she doesn't leave guest reviews. It does, however, matter to a host's statistics if guests don't leave reviews. For a host to be awarded and maintain superhost status at least 50% of guests must leave a review in the year up to the superhost review date.

A host can operate by never leaving guest reviews but still meet the 50% criterion so long as 50% of guests leave a review of the host.

I suppose that it's one way of making sure that the guest reviews that the superhost status is based on are a significant and representative fraction of the total number of stays.

Steve.

Jeremy100
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Yes thanks Steve 

Dee28
Level 2
Washington, DC

@Steve0  i recently had a very high maintenance guest who complained about everything i heard from him at least once a day during his week long stay about basically petty things. He has left me a review and i'm almost sure it will be damaging. i dont have much good to say about this guest, he just annoyed the daylights out of me plus he left trash in the unit and the bathroom window and screen open wide.  I feel like waiting the 14 days and just respond to whatever negative things he might have written. Is this possible? Are we as hosts able to respond to a review even if we never leave one? 

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Dee28 Why do you want to wait for 14 days if he already left you a review? Just give him an honest review and you will be abe to answer publicly to his review on you.

Hey Dee,

Please review this guest honestly as a favor to all of us other hosts !  I am learning to do this from this board, and is one power we have that hotels don't have.

Cheers from Bar Harbor, ME,

Mary

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Dee

Why the reticence to write a review?

Please write an honest review of the guests.

Facts are greatly appreciated 

@Dee

Here is your review.... copy and paste ...

I did not have a good hosting experience with XX. He was very hard to please despite my willingness to help. The space was left very untidy and required extra cleaning. Security was not taken seriously as both the window and screen was left wide open after checking out. Unfortunately, I cannot recommend XX.

1* for cleanliness and a thumbs down.

Yes, you will be able to respond publicly to his review. Keep in mind that he will not see it only everyone else looking at your listing will. So be professional and levelheaded.

This helps a lot so diplomatic...thank you! 🙂 

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Dee28  Would you host this guest again? If the answer is no state that in a review. You will be helping out other hosts that can then determine whether or not to host this guy. 

Kevin616
Level 9
Western Australia, Australia

Hi all, I’m fairly new and have made a few mistakes already!

ive had a guest leave a 1 star review because there was a cancellation (due to circumstances beyond anyone’s control) and they never even saw the property!

i left a 5 star review for her because it seemed the honourable thing to do, if you have no experience with someone, how can you critique them?

anywaaaay, my question is this:

if I don’t leave a review, will the guests review be published, ever?

thank you for your help!

Lyn3
Level 10
Mapleton, Australia

@Kevin0 yes the guest's review of your accommodation will appear after 14 days, even if you, the host, have not written a review of your guest.  

Claudette46
Level 2
Tattershall, United Kingdom

If a guest doesn't leave a review ( but books an extra week) and then another guest moved in and leaves a moderate rating,why does our booking get blocked for low rating? Surely this is unfair.we always leave a positive rating for guests ( so far? 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Claudette46 The two are unrelated. Blocking for low ratings happens if YOUR average rating has dropped  to the level Airbnb finds unacceptable. (Airbnb set the bar ridiculously high.) Guests won't know how you rated them till after they have written their own review, so no guest can write you a good one because you were nice about them.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Claudette46 I think I may have misunderstood, thinking you were a host. Now I've looked at your profile, I see you have no reviews as a host, so I'm guessing you are a guest who maybe can't book cos the place you fancy has been de-listed? - For low ratings?