Guests raided my linen cupboard, not sure what to do....

Ben253
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Guests raided my linen cupboard, not sure what to do....

So, I have a couple staying at the moment. They seem quite pleasant from the interactions I have had with them however I popped into the room earlier on (I checked with the guests first - as winter is coming I bought some new fleeces and blankets to put on the beds which usually get stored in the built in cupboard in the room) and noticed that the closet door was open and not only had they taken out all of the existing blankets (two of them; these are not small blankets; they are huge, thick fleeces that take an day to dry) and for some strange reason helped themselves to another set of towels, meaning that in 24 hours they have now gone through four. 

The linen closet is based in the guest room, and thus far I have not had this problem with any other guests. Im a pretty chilled out host, but I am now going to struggle to turn the room around when they leave (and have guests checking in the same day) as I am going to be lacking in linens and blankets because they have used them all! Would it be rude of me to ask them for one of the blankets as my next guests will need it and I will have to wash it now to have it clean and dry in time? The closet door is currently wide open in there, should I close it and maybe just mention that it is in my house rules that guests should not raid the linen closet and if they require extra blankets or towels to just ask. Really perplexed about why they need so many! 

Am I just overreacting? 

28 Replies 28
Lesley87
Level 2
Tucson, AZ

I've just experienced my first theft and it feels awful. They took the blanket off the bed!!! I think you have every right to ask them for some of the bedding back so you can launder it. I'm working on an ever increasing list of what my house rules are. I wonder if it's alright to ask people to sign something listing the contents of the room? 

I don't know why it says Iva? My name is Lesley.

Ben253
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

At least it was only a blanket! Thankfully I have not yet had any thefts, I hope I never do - I have a lot of pretty worthless travel knick knacks around my house that look nice, and are worth nothing but that have been procured around the world! My house rules seem to increase every month - that is not too bad an idea actually, getting someone to almost sign an inventory. If you take something from a hotel they are likely to charge the card you paid with after all! 

Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Ben253 I see that you have it in your house rules, or is this new since this happened? If this already implemented in the house rules before they book your place, that means they are breaking your house rules. If I were you, I would send a kind reminder through the Airbnb messaging system that it is in the house rules that guests are not allowed to help themselves to extra linen, etc. For the blanket that you need for your next guest, you can also ask about this in the same message or get a new extra blanket (I know blanket is not necessarily cheap). I would make sure to communicate within the system (on top of direct discussion if you are planning to have one), so there is a record in the system. For the future, is it possible to have the stock closet locked?

Ben253
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

I could lock it but it would look unsighlty as it is a built in cupboard, so I think the only way I could do it would be with a padlock and asp. The rule has always been there regarding linens as  I am somewhat over organised most of the time; as soon as guests leave the towels, blanket and bedding get laundered and the next lot is in the cupboard ready to go. Currently I have half of the linen that was laundered ready for my next guests and they have the rest chucked on the floor (?) or on the bed. 

They seem really nice and quite pleasant but I get the distinct impression that they have not read the house rules (which are also printed on the back of the door in the guest room!) 

Marie544
Level 3
Australia

@Ben253

i had a similar only last week i hope it is not the same young couple coming for their honeymoon ?

They used nearly 8 very large towels foor 2 days stay

they used washing machine to wash them and did not spin and put it in bathroom all bathroom floor was soak with water

On top of that they cooked a lot which is rare for guests staying 2 days and ate all snacks/drinks i had out

i cannot wait to review 

Ben253
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

They are a young couple from France, I have only briefly met the male half, and had a quick chat with the lady this morning before I started work. I noticed last night they left pizza boxes in there too so there was a distinct waft of garlic this morning...! Oddly enough they have soaked my bathroom floor (and subsequently the bathmat) on numerous occasions since arrival. 

I changed my house rules to distinctly say the kitchen is only available for small appliances; just easier, particularly when I have had a hard day at work and want to be able to cook my own meals in peace! Thankfully so far I have not had any problems with guests eating any of my food! 

what did you write in the review? I currently have a guest who has drank every K cup that I had and it was a pack of 40, he  drank a bottle of my wine, put a popsicle wrappers in my landscaping, left a diarrhea toilet for me to clean, etc.

he's young so I feel it's partly my fault for accepting somebody without vetting him better

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Ben253

close the closet door and put a padlock on it 🙂

Do you think that would be acceptable without making the room look to hostile? Currently I have settled for printing a simple A4 'PRIVATE' and sticking it to the door (bit too late this evening to go fitting a padlock, I will need to fit the whole thing first!)

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Yes you are over reacting, @Ben253 but that is because you didn't expect this guest behavior and it caught you off guard.  Eventually guests will find weaknesses in your rules or set-up, not because they are bad, disrespectful people but because they see the world differently than you.

I would approach the current guests via the Air BNB messaging system and in your best gracious host demeanor, apologize for not being clear about your expectations for the use of linens other than those directly supplied.  Then enlist their assistance in dealing with the recycling of the linens they took so you can be prepared for the next guests.  No need to make them feel bad or put them on the defensive.  That is a certain way to get a bad review. You had the unlocked linen closet in their room.  They rented the room and it is not beyond imagination that they thought they were to have access to the supplies in the closet.  Many hosts keep additional linen and towel supplies accessable to the guest.

Obviously you are a great host and have a lovely way about you that guests appreciate and mention in their reviews.  

Good luck

Ben253
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

I definitely don't want to make them feel bad! I guess this was bound to happen, and when my best friend helped me to turn the room over once she actually voiced her concerns over an unlocked store cupboard. I guess I left it unlocked because I thought it might be nice to be able to store luggage in there, although I guess having a huge pile of freshly laundered fleeces may be too much temptation for some people! 

I will drop them a message tomorrow morning (they are out tonight, and no sense making them feel awkward whilst they are no doubt having a lovely time!) and just ask that I can take one of the fleeces and some of the towels to be laundered as they are leaving on Sunday. 

The trials and tribulations of opening ones home . . . probably still wouldn't have it any other way! 

@Ben253 - I give up. I thought I spoke British English rather well... but I'm lost on a fleece. I know of fleece, what is shorn off a sheep.  On this side of the pond we have a particular fabric which we also refer to as fleece, and very often this fabric is used for a lightweight type jacket, that we also call a fleece. 

Google isn't helping, so what are referring to as a fleece???

IMG_3284.JPG

Ben253
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Hey Willow; A fleece blanket... big, ultra soft and thick (not the type shorn from a sheep!) They wash up really soft and seem to hold the smell of fabric conditioner for days, meaning that not only do they look and feel great to finish off the made up bed but they also smell absolutely fantastic! 

http://www.wilko.com/kids-cushions+throws/wilko-fleece-throw-blue-stars-125-x-150cm/invt/0432850

A bit like the above, except these are really big and thick! I personally have one on my bed 🙂