Guests request to shower after checkout

Armin39
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Guests request to shower after checkout

Hello community 

I found myself yesterday in a tricky situation after my guests came back several hours  later after an 11 am check out to pick up their luggage ( which i kindly stored for then due to their late flight  ) and they requested to have a quick shower . I was in the middle of cleaning the bedroom for another guest , but haven’t started the bathroom yet . I must admit I was a bit startled  and didn’t expect this request at all to use the shower , so I just swallowed and said “ Yes but just because I haven’t cleaned  the shower yet and that would be an exception “ I was pretty upset since I have been going out of my way to make the guest welcome and comfortable I did’t Even complain when they used my standing lamp as a towel rack or left the towels on the floor in the shared bathroom like a  and I very much feelt  taken advantage of at the end . I didn’t even get a thank you for allowing them to have a shower. I now wonder how I should  respond with the review ? Can any of you kind pople give me some advice? 

23 Replies 23

Bless your heart @Anonymous .

I wish I had your generousity of spirit.

People showering/cooking after check-out realllly bother me.

I wake up, have my coffee, prep for my day.

I then have 3 hours to turn over the rooms. (with the hope I can finish earlier...)

People who check-out late with no warning upset my whole day.

Instead of meeting friends for a late lunch, I must now worry about these guests and what they will do. I  and my helpers prefer to turnover rooms alone. 

Marie82
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Armin39  this is 1 of the reasons I stop guests leaving luggage because they don't care what happened next, if they want later check out i try to work with my cleaner and see if they can clean the apartment they are staying at later time if no I provide link and address of all luggage storage near the apartment. But i fully stop guests leaving their luggage and pick up later this is the NO for me. He set a very bad habit and enter in the norm when u start letting guests leaving luggage.

Being too flexible with guests is not always good, as they will think it is ok, and if the next host refuses they may downgrade him because they did not get this extra.

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Marie82 

My experience is contrary to yours.

I am a live-in host with flexible check in and out times, and frequently permit Guest(s) to pick up luggage later than agreed time for departure. (The most common reason, Guests have a few hours on their last day prior to departure to airport, and I need to prepare the room for arriving guest(s).)

In over 6 years and more than 400 bookings, it's only once worked to my detriment, and this exception was obviously not a reason to change my policy.

The notion that my dealings with Guests should lead me to contemplate  how it might affect their behaviour with future hosts is simply absurd.

I do not consider that I'm conditioning guest behaviour, and if I have anything to say on the matter I would put in Review, as I did in that singular case.

I summarily believe the vast majority of Guests are  quite cable to adapt to each Host's requirements. 

Patrice38
Level 2
Carrollton, TX

Just wondering...if they already checked out and slipped in the shower and hurt themselves could the host could be opening him/herself up to liability? They technically are no longer a current guest. 

As far as damage and liability are concerned, the period in which a guest is a "current guest" doesn't end precisely at the listing's stated checkout time; it could feasibly extend to the remainder of the calendar date.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Armin39 

Yeah others have summed it up....you can't penalise a guest in the review process for something you allowed them to do. I understand all you want to be is a good conciliatory host and that is great, good on you for that.

But on this occasion you must not infer that this is the guests fault.

The most you can say is......."I allowed the guest the opportunity to use the property after the check-out time, which they gratefully accepted!"  

You can criticise them for things you may not have been happy with during the stay that you were not party to, but once you have given them a green light, it becomes your issue Armin.....not theirs!

Cheers......Rob

Armin39
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Thank you all so much for your advice and guidance on this matter . I appreciate all the input and decided to send the guests a personal message about how I felt and my review was fact only without the fuss nor any emotions . 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

@Emilia42, @Anonymous , @Ana1136, @Joy298 , @Nina75 , @Paul154 , @Linda108, @Jessica & Henry1, @Jim472 , @Donna240@Patrice38@Robin4@Alon1 , @Marie82.

Hi @Armin39. I agree with other hosts who advise not mentioning the shower after checkout in your review. You created the friendly, bad vibe by agreeing to the transaction outside the Airbnb check out. All the guest did was blur and push the boundary line, and you helped them move it.

Mitigation rather than litigation.....

- What  if the tiles or something got damaged. You would not be able to claim through the Resolution Centre as it was not during the booked stay. 

- What if they slipped and injured themselves? Personal public liability? Nothing to do with Airbnb.

- What if they then suggested you  flirted and lead them on and accused you of indecent comments, acts  etc etc etc.... 

Don’t go there, or create opportunity.

Going by previous comments, I know other hosts allow this service, but from a WHS / risk assessment, it is an unsafe action for the host.

Don’t even mention the shower at all, in a positive or a negative; the last thing you need is to have documented in print, a precedent for future guests who might have similar flight timelines, then expecting the same service.........

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Armin39 

From my point of view you should let the other hosts know that they (those guests) like to take advantage of others.

You could write something like that - "The only thing that let me down, it was the fact that, they asked me to take a shower many hours after checkout, when they returned to get their luggage. Although it was an inconvenience, I kindly let them in to take the shower in a bathroom that had already been cleaned. In return I did not get even a thank you!"

To say the truth is not a transgression! It is just the truth!