Guests says they NEED fresh towels every day, should I take an extra fee?

Nadia30
Level 2
Stockholm, Sweden

Guests says they NEED fresh towels every day, should I take an extra fee?

I have 2 guests that are staying for 14 days (checked in 2 days ago), they where provided with 3 bathtowels, 2 handtowels, i normaly would change the sheets and change the towels once a week. Today they asked for more towels and stated that they NEED fresh towels every day. I gave them 3 towels and 2 handtowels more and told them that it was all could offer them atm and that they have to make it last until wednesday (5 days from now) for when i have laundry slot booked (I live in a place where we have a comunal laundry room with very good professional machines).

Should i take an extra fee? I want to, since its super wasteful and kind of time and effort consuming. What do you think? If so, how much is appropriate?

10 Replies 10
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Nadia30

You are an AirBNB host not a hotel. If guests want a hotel service, they should stay in a hotel.

Explain to your guests that in line with AirBNB standards you change your bedding and towels once a week. This is also kinder for the environment.

This also helps ensure you can offer your accommodation at a very competitive rate.

You could say you do want them to be happy with their stay, so that if they would like you to buy in extra towels for their stay that you can do so and that there will be a cost of XXX. Personally I wouldn't.

Do make sure in your house rules it's clear linen and towels are washed weekly

@Helen3

Thank you for your fast reply and input.

So what would you do? No fee, and only provide them with the 2 sets of "weekly"towels per week?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Yep 🙂 When guests arrive and I show them around. I point out the towels and say there is one set per week which helps us keep costs down and is good for the environment.

However if they have an accident and the towels become stained to let me know so I can try and get the stain out and I will provide them with fresh towels.

@Nadia30

Ville bare si lykke til!

Noen gjester ser ikke forskjell på hotell og Airbnb...

Mariann 🙂

@Nadia30  I'd give them the option, your standard offer of new towels every week, or if they want towels every day, charge them for it.  This may affect their review of you, though.  People like that--entitled selfish jerks who want a fresh towel every day--obviously don't care about the environment or understand how airbnb differs from a hotel, so they won't care about ruining your business w/a negative reveiw either.  I will definitely say in your review that they are not suited for the home stay platform.

Thanks for this post. I've been looking to see what Airbnb's standards are--if in fact they state hosts will change bedding and towels once per week, is that made explicit to guests? And if it's more, you'd think we Airbnb would have an option for hosts to add an additional cleaning fee for longer than week stays.

Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

Hi @Nadia30  it's always tricky when you have a demanding guest, especially one that is already in your space.   You are emphasizing the word "NEED" so I'm guessing the guest demanded, more than requested, this service.  

I totally agree with @Helen3 that you simply say to the guest " here's a few more towels for your use during the stay, but I'm not able to provide you with hotel service".  I didn't look at your profile so I'm not sure how long you've been hosting, but many experienced hosts have learned to be firm and clear with guests and not leave room for negotiation.   Guests like this, like naughty 13 year olds, are masters at manipulating the situation, so it's up to you on how strict that you want to be.   

If it were me, I'd give them a few more towels, tell them that's it, and say "I'll bring you additional towels next week, after I've done laundry".  You want to be seen as accommodating, but to a point, not bending over backwards to give them what they want.

Good luck to you!

Joan-A0
Level 2
Saltburn-by-the-Sea, United Kingdom

Have you been paid out 

a lot of hosts are not getting paid. Myself included

@Joan-A0 i got the payout notification email, so now im just waiting for it to become visible on my account, takes a couple of days.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Joan-A0 if you have a problem with your payment coming through then give BNB a call - there might be a technical glitch that is preventing the payment going through.