Guests secretly blocked by Airbnb?

Han24
Level 2
Asheville, NC

Guests secretly blocked by Airbnb?

I am set up for auto-booking. Every once in a while a get a request to book. This made no sense to me so I called in and it turns out hosts who request to book are actually blocked from auto-booking for a variety of reasons. I don't know if Airbnb hides that information on purpose or by accident but it seems quite odd not to inform the host. 

Why they have been blocked from auto-booking is also not disclosed to the host. If I had to guess, and I do, it would be from lack of a photo ID or some other issue with their profile. Both of these pieces of information are vitally important to hosts and yet are not disclosed by Airbnb. I suppose the concern is that they would get less booking fees if hosts knew that these guests were blocked.

When I called in I was originally told the reason I was getting inquiries was because the guest had clicked contact host rather than instant book. I knew that wasn't true b.c. my calendar was hiding my rates for the dates they inquired about. Whenever Airbnb hides my rates from me I know there's a booking inquiry and not just a message. 

My original concern was that the request to book was somehow an offer or request to host for a lower rate. The wording on the payout hints at this as well.  I just have to be certain. It is not possible under any scenario for a guest to "make an offer" for a lower nightly rate correct? I don't have any way of knowing because my rates are not visible once the inquiry is submitted. 

26 Replies 26
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Han24 

any guest can contact you to ask you a question. This is called INQUIRY. You can answer by text message or pre-approve or decline. Then the guest can book if he wants.

guests who meet your booking requirements ( which you have set while setting up your listing ) can INSTANT BOOK.

guests who don't meet your booking requirements have to send you a BOOKING REQUEST, they can not an instant book. You have to accept or decline their request within 24 hours. The second you accept it - the booking is done.

For example, I get booking requests from families with kids because I don't host kids, and from people who don't have recommendations from other hosts.

I get inquiries from people who wants to know about parking space or from those who want to ask for early check-in or have other questions.

To send you an inquiry or a request the guest have to set the dates. You are able to see those dates and the amount the guest would pay for this booking. If you use desktop you will see it in the left column, just scroll a bit down.

Yes, I'm a bit confused about this too.  I  have a 'no pets'  policy.  Two days ago I got a booking inquiry from somebody asking if he could bring his dog.  I replied by message on the AirbNB website - sorry, not possible -  but I have got a few remnders from AiBnB asking me to Accept or Declne. At this stage I don't know where I am with this request.

@Eilis2  As @Branka-and-Silvia0 mentioned here are two ways guests can contact you:

INQUIRY: This is not a request to book. It will not block the dates on your calendar. An Inquiry is when the guest hits the "Contact Host" button. As a host, you must respond to this message within 24 hours. You do NOT have to pre-approve (accept) or decline. Airbnb will keep reminding you to do this, but it is not required.

REQUEST: This is when the guest hits the "Request to Book" button. The dates will be blocked on your calendar until you "Accept" or "Decline." With a Request, you MUST Accept or Decline within 24 hours.

I hope that helps!

Thanks.  Is there anything to stop a guest pressing 'Request to book' even if they can't comply with one of the house rules (in this case the No Pets thing)?

@Ellis9 Yes this is a crazy thing.

Smokers can book a non smoking property, people with dogs or children can book a no-kid or no-pet property.  It's up to the guest to read and understand the rules (many don't).

Once it's inquired or  IBd, do not click and delete yourself!

If the person IBd: You must have it documented that the person requested the dog or the smoking or the child and then call CS and get them to delete it for you, for breaking the house rules.

You will be penalised and your listing kicked down in the results, if you do not accept or if you decline.

If it's just an inquiry - they will also penalise you for not responding and letting it expire.  What you can do is  block the dates on another platform, wait for it to synch, then accept the booking.  It will not go through because the dates will be blocked.  Don't forget to free up the dates a few days later once the problem guests  have gone away.

@Susan1188 If it's an Inquiry, there's no need to go through all that- all a host needs to do is message back the guest within 24 hours, no need to click on either pre-approve or decline, no need to block dates, or anything else.

You are right Sarah the official policy is that you are not penalised for this.  But that is only half of the story!

The Airbnb algorithm does everything to maximise bookings and promote listings that succeed in turning *every* enquiry into a cash transaction.  

If you let enquiries just sit there, you will see your listing go lower in the search results and get less views.

Also, if you decline too many enquiries, you might a message from CS like this host:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Features-you-wish-Airbnb-had/m-p/1140594/highlight/true#...

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Han24  No, it is not possible for a guest to put in an offer for a lower rate other than asking for it via message. Not sure why you can't see your rates or payouts as you should be seeing those with both an Inquiry and a Request.

As for guests not being able to Instant Book. Do you know what your Instant Book settings are? As @Branka-and-Silvia0  pointed out, even with Instant Book, you can limit those who can Instant Book by requiring a Government ID and/or at least one recommendation from another host.

I don't think guests are "secretly" blocked from Instant Booking as I've never heard anything like that at all. I'm not 100% on that, but I would check your Instant Book settings first.....

I think hosts should be able to see if someone got a thumbs down from another host.

Is there any way to see that?

Also, on the booking requirements, it says you can eliminate guests who have "gotten a bad review".  What does that mean?  3 star?  Negative comment?  Thumbs down?

@Susan1188 A "bad review" for is guest is considered by Airbnb as 1 Star. Guests will 2 or 3 stars can still instant book. 

Wow.  @Emilia42 crazy thing is can you even see the star reviews of a guest?  That makes no sense if only a 1 star means bad, and you can't see if someone got a 3 star so you can filter them yourself...

@Susan1188 I use instant book so I can see guest's star ratings. And yes, it is totally insane that a 4 star review is BAD for a host but a 2 star review is perfectly fine for a guest!

Nuts!  Wait tell me how to see the guests stars I'm on IB too.  You just see the overall right not by category?

@Susan1188 

I see the individual star ratings on the message screen when I click the average rating. Do you not have this option?

Screen Shot 2019-09-22 at 3.02.14 PM.png