Guests show up a month early to "tour the property"

Maggie277
Level 5
Hartwell, GA

Guests show up a month early to "tour the property"

We recently had a guest show up to tour the property one month in advance. They didn't let us know they were coming and proceeded to walk around our home and onto our covered dock. We had other guests staying in our home at the time and were taken by surprise when we were informed that this happened. When I contacted support they told me that whenever someone makes a reservation they are provided our address, and have the right to come to our property anytime as long as they don't enter the home. 

Is this true? This is our primary residence and if so I feel very uncomfortable with not being able to control when guests can come to visit my property. Has this happened to anyone else? 

48 Replies 48

Lawsuit.

I'd call the cops for trespassing AND cancel.

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Maggie277  That's trespassing. Airbnb needs to educate their CS because it doesn't matter what "policy" is (and I doubt that's actual ABB policy) no one has the right to enter onto your property without your permission. Drive by? Okay. But walk around the property, absolutely not.

They are only legally granted permission during the dates of their reservation. That's the contract.

I can't believe you were told that. Keep calling CS and let it be known they are advocating for ILLEGAL activity. Ridiculous.

Thank you so much for replying! It is so comforting to hear another host feel the same way about this. I was very uncomfortable after talking with the agent. I finally got the mutual cancellation done so I wouldn't be penalized, but no one would entertain the conversation about reporting the guest's behavior. I just hope we can secure another guest for these dates.

Do you think I should keep calling? I had no luck being transferred to any other department other than level one resolutions. 

@Maggie277  It's probably a waste of time to keep calling (they really don't care) but maybe communicate your concerns via email?

I've heard some crazy things that CS says, but to tell you trespassing is not only okay, but the guest's right once they have made a reservation is flat out wrong and shows a complete lack of training and common sense!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Maggie277 

Hi Maggie, this issue is being worked on at the moment!

What has happened here is, the way Airbnb traditionally operated was, guests were given a property address and details as soon as they booked. Airbnb did alter that late last year after complaints from hosts that guests were booking, receiving precise property details and were then, for one reason or another, cancelling their booking with details like entry codes and other sensitive information that had already been given, in their possession! Some even did this in an attempt to simply bypass Airbnb.

The policy then became, house rules and property details would be provided to a confirmed reservation 36-48 hours prior to the commencement of the stay. There has been such a dramatic backlash from booked guests complaining they have no stay details.....the stay is about to commence and they have no address..... no contact with the owner, the complaints were of such a substantial number that Airbnb have gone part way back to the original model until something else can be worked out. 

You have in the first instance got onto an CX who was not entirely helpful or understanding, but was at least up with the current ruling unlike quite a few of them, But to be fair changes to the platform are happening at such a rate that CX don't get a chance to keep their templates up to date.

I am glad you got a neutral cancellation in the end Maggie, you are much better off without a guest like that. Guests who wish to take advantage of and stretch the rules, never make good guests.

Good luck Maggie and I hope its a long time before you strike another like that again.

Just one last point, when you make an approach to customer support a ticket will be opened with your issue. That ticket will remain open until it is closed to either to the satisfaction of both parties or CX, through guidelines, chooses to close it. But while that ticket remains open any subsequent contact is directed straight back to that agent!

If you feel you are not getting adequate attention to your problem and CX are not prepared to pass your ticket on to a higher level of help, thank the agent for their help and ask them to close the case. When that is done, make a new complaint and that way you will get a fresh pair of eyes looking at your problem. Be polite and passive in the way you talk to them, remember they are getting their heads ripped off all day and when someone nice comes along it is like a breath of fresh air to them and they do lower their barriers and go in to bat for you!

Cheers......Rob

Thank you so much for this insight! I am sure it is difficult to keep a balance, but as I'm sure you know regardless of how much or how little information you are provided about a place you are paying to rent for a specific date that reservation does not entitle you to "tour" the property at your leisure. 

I have no issue with Air BnB sharing our location with guests. I also don't mind a guest in the area driving by to see the location/area in person, or asking for a tour before they book. However, when they start parking in the driveway and wandering through my backyard without permission that is a really big safety issue. The guests who were staying with us were uncomfortable as I would have been if my family had been there instead.

If CS is not equipped to handle safety and security issues then hosts should be referred to a department that is better equipt to protect them.

I was told that these guests were not trespassing direct quote. I was also told I this was not something Air BnB saw as a violation of my rights. If it is Air BnB's stance that they have the authority to allow anyone who pays to stay for a few nights the right to be present on our property anytime we should all be concerned about who we are trusting our homes with. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Maggie277 

I am going to take that up with the Global development team Maggie, you have invited guests for specific dates, outside that, they are trespassers. They do not have the rights of friends or known members of your family and an agent who tells you this is incorrect.  

There is a division within Airbnb called Trust and Safety .....and this link will take you to the home Trust page but from here you can deal with someone shows job it is to help with these sort of issues.

https://www.airbnb.com./trust

In addition you will see on the 'guests' profile a box that says....Report this user.....clicking that and you will be required to give a reason you are reporting that profile. You can choose from the supplied options or if there is not one specific to your situation click 'Other' and you will be presented with a type box to state why you are reporting!

I hope this is of help to you Maggie!

Cheers.....Rob

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Maggie277 Where I’m from that would merit a call to the sheriff & quite possibly a very unpleasant trip back to the road. 

Please don’t be dissuaded by that nonsense from CS. No guest ever has the right to Unannounced begin creeping thru your Private Property. 

Thats like the bank robber not being in trouble bc “he has an appointment to be in the vault next week”. Total hogwash. 

Drive by. Ok. 

Ring the door. I’m not a fan but not the end of the world. 

Walk around the backyard unannounced. Oh No, Not Ok. 

So glad you got these guests canceled. Do you know how to use the “Report Profile” button??

Exactly how we felt! Yes, I reported both the guests desire to only communicate off the app and the fact that they showed up unannounced. Unfortunately, we haven't had any response to that report yet. And the CS team seemed adamant that I shouldn't be calling to discuss this with them.

They even defended the guest's behavior stating that "I should know this is something that guests could do because once they make a payment they receive our address." 

I had multiple calls with CS because the guests did not want to cancel their reservation at first. They insisted they be allowed to keep the dates they booked. A few hours later we have a resolution as far as canceling the reservation, but I am still uneasy about the way that was handled from a safety/security standpoint. 

Ricardo741
Level 6
Kingston, Jamaica

Wow. What if your guests give you a low review based on safety and security violation? I personally would cancel even if it mean suffering a penalty. Those people were  out of order.  And Airbnb initial decision was outrageous. 

Eventually, the guest agreed to a mutual cancellation so we didn't have to suffer any penalties. We were so thankful for that! CS was not willing in any way to help me as a host unless the guest was willing to cancel. They told me repeatedly I had no "legitimate" reason to cancel and I could lose my superhost status and the chance to book those nights with new guests if I chose to cancel on my own. 

It seemed in this case that what CS wanted most was for this issue not to escalate past a mutual cancellation, rather than the safety and security of our home. Outrageous is a great word for what happened!

I was thoroughly shocked and disappointed. We are hoping to hear from another department. If we do not I'm not sure how we will proceed with Air BnB. We love hosting but if I can't get a reasonable response to something like trespassing I don't have much faith we would be protected in the future from a more serious incident.

"Legitimate?" Seriously....call a lawyer

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Airbnb should be reminded that Florida has a Stand your Ground law.

It's very reckless to tell future guests that they can walk on someone else's property without permission.

And texas castle law....and alasks too.i think

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Maggie277 

ahh..you probably got some young CS rep whose only property is his bike. He doesn't have a clue about the owner's rights, trespassing etc... if he does then he would know that you don't own just a house, you are the owner of the land ( your backyard, front yard, deck, patio, garden...)  as well. Nobody is allowed to enter your land. They can only watch your property from the public area/street.

If they booked your property from August 1st - August 5th then they can enter and stay those 4 days only. Before and later they are trespassing.

@Robin4  thanks for the tip about closing the case first and then open a new one to get another rep.