Guests show up a month early to "tour the property"

Maggie277
Level 5
Hartwell, GA

Guests show up a month early to "tour the property"

We recently had a guest show up to tour the property one month in advance. They didn't let us know they were coming and proceeded to walk around our home and onto our covered dock. We had other guests staying in our home at the time and were taken by surprise when we were informed that this happened. When I contacted support they told me that whenever someone makes a reservation they are provided our address, and have the right to come to our property anytime as long as they don't enter the home. 

Is this true? This is our primary residence and if so I feel very uncomfortable with not being able to control when guests can come to visit my property. Has this happened to anyone else? 

48 Replies 48

That young buck should have escalated the issue to management. 

No training..fault still on this multi billion dollar company

Antony-R0
Level 2
Brighton, United Kingdom

I would definitely cancel their reservation!! I will feel so uncomfortable with these people !!

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

I had guests who had booked 1 week in August and they showed up unannounced in June. At the very day and very hour they came here, we were in the process of building a concrete wall. We had a big concrete mixer attatched to an even bigger tractor running and mixing concrete, everything was in full swing and we had our work clothes on with concret spilled all over, it was hot and we were sweating.

They asked if they could take a look at the property and I said no. As the tractor with the attatched concrete mixer was standing in the middle of the driveway, they had to pull backwards with their car the entire 1000 ft steep and gravel driveway back to the public road.

They were not happy.

@Maggie277  , @Branka-and-Silvia0 

@Ute42  Common sense is not so common! Where do these people come from?!

@Suzanne302 

They come from out of the blue. Such people cannot imagine, that showing up unannounced at the property of a person they have never met before may be disturbing. It is just bad behaviour.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ute42 

Sounds like you had the sweetest job with your concrete wall compared to what I am going through at the moment!

I said to Steph a while ago, I am having what can only be described as a sh*t of  week!! 

My neighbour tells me there is a smell of septic which he has traced to our boundary fence! Now Randall & Jo are lovely neighbours and the last thing I would want to do is sh*t on them....you get my drift Ute!

It is about 38 metres from the septic tank to the common sewer system in the street, and all of it is in the old earthenware sewer pipe with joints about every 90cms and if you would ask me what would be my idea of shear purgatory, it would be to dig up a 70 year old leaking sewer system!

I am three days into it and will probably spend another 5 jack-hammering up concrete and getting all this oozie mess removed from around the leaking pipe joints, disposing of the old pipes and replacing with shiny new PVC. Am I painting a somewhat unpalatable picture Ute? ........Good!

If guests arrived here unannounced at the moment I could always offer them a shovel! :-((

Cheers......Rob

@Robin4 

Hi Rob,

in order to dig up a 70 year old leaking sewer system the best thing for You to have would be an excavator. This is the one we have:

2019-07-16 birthday excavator.jpg

I bought this excavator in 2017 brandnew and gave it as a birthday present to my husband. He liked it a lot.

And here's the situation when we were mixing concrete in the middle of the driveway to build a wall.

2019-07-16 mixing concrete in the driveway.jpg

Can You imaging guest showing up to „tour the property“ while I'm in the middle of doing this?

2019-07-16 working in the driveway.jpg

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ute42 

Gee that sure is a generous birthday present Ute....I think about all Ade would stretch to is a hard hat and a pair of safety glasses and maybe a set of toxic gloves!

As lovely as that excavator is Ute it is not the implement for here...it simply would not fit in the available space.....This is a hand to bucket job!

IMG20190714162702.jpg

This was lunch time on the first day, 4 metres of 35!  I have since got to the 20 metre mark so am more than half way....I am just hoping this old body can hold up to the end. Each night I find even the simplest manoeuvers like getting out of a comfortable chair a supreme challenge!

There is about 25 metres of digging along this dead side of the house and then another 10 into the back garden, and I can assure you Ute, it smells as bad as it looks.

Those around me are saying, 'why the hell don't you just get a plumber in?'...A certain logic there, but with as cost difference of close to $12,000 I would rather put that money towards another holiday. I will soon forget about these shi**y days in the trench when I am catching up with dear friends in Greece or France, or beyond!

Cheers......Rob 

@Robin4 

Oh boy, $12,000 to have it made, that is something. Our excavator cost $30,000 but You have it for a couple of years and it pays off.

So what's left for You is digging - I feel for You.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ute42 

I'm afraid cottage gardens and excavators don't go hand in hand, so I can't see something like that being a cost effective purchase.

Look Ute, there is another side to this! All through my life I have prided myself that no matter what the challenge, I will have a go at it.

This project is doing my self esteem the world of good. At my age I need to be able to look back on a difficult undertaking and say...."I did that'!

And think of the benefits I am doing to myself physically by being so active! With all the good this exercise is doing to my body, I might just outlast the replacement pipe I am putting in!!! 

Cheers.......Rob

@Robin4 

That's right. My husband for example does all the firewood we need by hand with an ax. It's not that we couldn't buy a machine for the job, but it's good exercise and he says he can sleep very well after an afternoon of wood chopping.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Ute42 

Nobody chops wood like a German wood-chopper!

And I would lay a bet you would have him running around like a chicken with it's head chopped off!  hahaha ;-))

Cheers.....Rob

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

@Maggie277  You can set your listing so the exact street address is not visible to booked parties until the end of your free cancellation period.  Go to LOCATION and at the very bottom is a setting that reads "Visibility for booked guests" .  You can set to Share details AFTER the free cancellation period.  With a moderate cancellation option,  guest will not have your address until 5 days before the start of their reservation.  Hope this is helpful.

@Linda-And-Richard0 wrote:

@Maggie277  You can set to Share details AFTER the free cancellation period.  With a moderate cancellation option,  guest will not have your address until 5 days before the start of their reservation.  

The "Free" cancellation period is only 48 hours from the time that they book.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

As someone else said, there are a lot of states in the U.S. that have 'stand your ground' laws allowing for deadly force to protect yourself or your property. 

Telling guests it's okay to show up at any time before their reservation date and wander around the entire property, without asking permission, to look in the windows, whatever, is very dangerous.