Guests show up a month early to "tour the property"

Maggie277
Level 5
Hartwell, GA

Guests show up a month early to "tour the property"

We recently had a guest show up to tour the property one month in advance. They didn't let us know they were coming and proceeded to walk around our home and onto our covered dock. We had other guests staying in our home at the time and were taken by surprise when we were informed that this happened. When I contacted support they told me that whenever someone makes a reservation they are provided our address, and have the right to come to our property anytime as long as they don't enter the home. 

Is this true? This is our primary residence and if so I feel very uncomfortable with not being able to control when guests can come to visit my property. Has this happened to anyone else? 

48 Replies 48
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Maggie277, I'm with everyone else thinking this whole thing is just crazy! I wonder what Airbnb's stance would have been if these future guests disturbed your current guests? Current guests want a refund because people were walking around peering in their windows. Airbnb would probably suggest that you refund the current guests and give you a lecture about how important safety and security is for your guests!! . . . . ridiculous. 

Adriana100
Level 10
Pitts, PA

This is crazy! I'm glad you managed to cancel. How rude and entitled can some be to do something like that. I'd personally be furious!!! Actually I was because something of similar nature has happened to me. 

I had a couple in their 60s book my house and the lady told me she's been a vrbo host for 15 years. next thing she's asking me if her sister could see the house. Me (stupidly) said yes, sure, the house is empty tomorrow let her come by.

Needless to say she inspected the house trying to find faults, like a buyer. Opened every door, every closet, inspected everything, the oven, the fridge, the closet linen which was closed and wanted to see whats inside and why do i keep it closed.

She got on my nerves so bad that I called the person who booked and I yelled at her to cancel because her sister was disrespectful and I am not comfortable with them. They tried to blame the sister but did cancel.

Now your story is even worse. I hate these people who feel entitled. Your guests were horrible!

Megan499
Level 1
Franklin, NJ

wow! did you add any wording to your house rules after this experience?  I am thinking I should.   

Christina768
Level 4
St Mabyn, United Kingdom

I have just read through this entire thread and I am quite astonished. Firstly, I think it is awful that you have had this experience and Airbnb's Customer Support advisor was quite incorrect in their response. Factually incorrect to say that a guest who has booked to stay at your property, your home, has the right to violate your privacy, boundary and potentially your safety, they are TRESPASSING. The guest have booked to stay during certain dates and to abide by the Terms & Conditions, House Rules etc and that is the basis of the contract. It does not afford them the right to 'swing by' 'inspect' 'cross property lines' and 'upset' current guests and homeowners. How could you ever feel comfortable hosting these people  totally correct to cancel their reservation. I liked the advise about closing down the complaint with an inept Airbnb advisor and re opening with somebody new who had a much better grasp and understanding of the situation. At the end of the day your rights as a homeowner were violated once an un invited 'third party' invaded, trespassed your boundary line. Guests should not be given the exact address until 48hrs prior to travel, must be a breach of Data Protection / Privacy Law.